It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Labor Department has sick sense of humor

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
(Mods if this is in the wrong forum, please move)

This article really made my blood boil. It's in regards to a training manual put out by the Labor Department and uses Freddy Krueger and Hannibal Lecter as names in place of those who have been burned by radiation.

The manual’s jocular attitude toward workers who have suffered from cancers and other serious illnesses is “indicative of the disrespect that’s shown to claimants” by Labor Department officials, said worker advocate Deb Jerison of Yellow Springs, who heads a nonprofit that helps sick atomic workers and their survivors obtain federal benefits. Some of the workers have died from their illnesses.

www.daytondailynews.com...

I mean, really? What's wrong with the people who created and approved this piece of crap instruction manual? What happened to being sensitive and politically correct? We have to be sensitive to homosexuals and the disabled, but screw the people who are suffering/died from radiation exposure?

I truly am left speechless by the callous and insensitive nature by the "people" who put this together and approved it for distribution. They make me sick!

edit on 26-9-2011 by Afterthought because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
I hardly feel that Japan's citizens and those who have been killed and sickened by radiation would not appreciate being compared to fictional serial killers.

I wouldn't ever condone book burning, but this manual should be thrown in the bonfire!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
While I in no way intend to make light of peoples illnesses, I have to say....why are people so damn sensitive.

This world does not need anymore sympathy, we need more empathy.

Do not even get me started on PC.

The problem in the country is that people do more feeling than thinking.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

Did you read the article and what the manual says?
No sympathy OR empathy involved. Period. And no thinking either.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Afterthought

I was basing my statement off of your comments, not the article.

edit on 26-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Honestly, this does not bother me. I mean, maybe I would feel different if I were a claimant, but I doubt it. The type of guy I am, I try to find humor in sad situations. Helps me feel better, but I keep that humor to myself because not everyone is up for humor during sad times.

So, strictly speaking for myself, I am fine with it. Hey, it would make me smile to read about Freddy Getting treated by Hannibal Lecter. I believe PC is killing this country and people are way to sensitive.

But, I can see how people would be offended. In other words, I can see both points of view. Doesn't bother me but I can see how it would bother some.

My thinking? These people who will be needing this manual, have much bigger things to worry about than the names used for this manual.
edit on 26-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
if something like this happens and your biggest concern is the names they used....your priorities need to be fix'd i understand why it could be offense but i just thought it was creative....because if you look past the whole "murder lots o people" freddy was burned jason was drowned and now they both live with permanent issues...just like someone would from radiation.. you cant just look at it as oh hey they we're murder's maybe the writes were looking at a bigger picture.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
OK. I'm confused.
So, it's not OK to make jokes about leppers, homosexuals, and cancer survivors, but it's OK to give fictional serial killer names to the victims of radiation.

My, what are we becoming?

How is one considered to be acceptable and overly PC, but the others aren't?

If any of you ever suffered radiation burns, it's OK to say, "Hey, Freddy Krueger, does your melted butt one another beer?"

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
When Presidents take over they get to appoint people to head Federal Agencies.

If Miss BloodMoney gets appointed to head the Department of Labor and she can screw over 50,000 people from getting compensated for Radiation Exposure....she just made her boss money. Free'd up Federal Appropriations within the Agency so the Boss can award a contract to Mr. MoneyBags who provided funding for his campaign.

We're still running on the 'Spoils' system where Americans get robbed. It's been that way, forever.

top topics

join