It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homemade Toothpaste

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

this is awesome

time to detox my body for sure

I've avoided/refused to drink the tap water (using filters duh
) for ages now but I've always had the fluoride toothpaste. I'll also be looking into this "tamarind".

Thank you

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
My dad told me sometimes they used cigarrete ashes during the WW2. Too bad I don't smoke.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Grate thread. I uesly make my own. Water and baking soda but right now i am using TOM's toothpaste. Found at my NON organic grocery store. It does not have floried but it does have sodium phosphate witch is just as bad.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

That's great,
What is the recipe you use?

I don't know those brands, I guess the one for kids is to make it taste better? I can understand kids would definitely have a problem with the salty home-made one.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Pixie777

My Grandmother used straight baking soda to brush her teeth. She only had one or two cavities her whole life....Till the last couple of years of her life when they made her use real toothpaste when she had to stay at Nursing Homes! Then she ended up getting a them pretty regularly.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by evil12day

Yes, we use the filters as well, you have to these days. There's nobody in my country that's standing up against the fluoridation of water, and those that know are just too few. If America thinks they're being dumbed down, you should see the people here. Nobody questions anything, and those that do are few and far in-between. I think the amount of people here on ATS, that seem to be from my country, either by saying so in their bio or little things that I pick up, I can count on my one hand.

It's a great pleasure, I'm glad I could help

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Trueman

That must taste worse than my recipe here

I heard that some people use charcoal ash as well? I can't imagine that. I realize you can do the brushing with just straight dry bicarb, I guess I'm just a stickler for the paste. You know it's just drilled into you from the time you have teeth, so I like using some a paste otherwise I feel like I am breaking some sort of law

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

I am so happy to see that there are others here that are making their own.

Yes, it's doesn't exactly help to replace one bad thing with another bad thing, does it? Why do you suppose they do that? Take out fluoride and replace it with sodium phosphate ... odd. I'd have to look into sodium phosphate and find out what that is all about, and why they would use it.

I'm glad you are enjoying the thread, thanks for replying

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by bhornbuckle75

Yes, I mentioned that to another poster as well, you can use straight dry bicarb, does the same thing, I'm just a stickler for the paste effect. I like having a paste to brush my teeth with

Why did they make her use normal toothpaste? What would be the problem with her normal way of brushing her teeth how she did it her whole life? Sometimes nursing homes make me fume. It's bad enough that the elderly have to go and live there, but to change the way they live their lives on top of it is just too much. They are there to take care of them, only, as for the rest of it, leave them alone and let them live out the last days of their lives in peace they way they like it. People don't respect the elderly anymore, you know?

Thanks for replying and telling us your gran's experience with bicarb, this should help everybody who still might feel skittish about using bicarb, many people think it's too rough on the teeth and will remove the enamel, when it's quite the opposite. If you remove the fluoride layer, the enamel has a chance of growing back by itself

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:43 PM
link   
OK..... after doing a bunch of research today, there are already a lot of posts that are out there, so making a thread that links to this one would probably just get shut down.

If anyone knows how to bring back a very old post will you please let me know?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by freespirit1
OK..... after doing a bunch of research today, there are already a lot of posts that are out there, so making a thread that links to this one would probably just get shut down.

If anyone knows how to bring back a very old post will you please let me know?

leave your window open, then open a fresh window and go to ATS.

use Search to locate desired thread, pull it up on screen.

cut & paste URL into your original window where you have a thread Reply box open and waiting. share that and everyone had the Link.

------

someone mentioned finding Coconut Oil. in my area CO may be found in regular well-stocked supermarkets among all the other cooking oils.

some months ago a health fan bodybuilder guy i knew taught me a lot about better ways of cooking and eating. he was a major fan of not using oil at all for cooking, but when necessary Coconut Oil in very small amounts was the only oil he would use in food prep.

Also: when i was a lad we brushed with Tooth Powder. might be another alternative to consider.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Nice post I must say, just one question where are you that you cant get fluoride free toothpaste? I would assume you could order it online and get it shipped, but why not make it yourself so you know for sure whats in there.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman
My dad told me sometimes they used cigarrete ashes during the WW2. Too bad I don't smoke.

The Australian Aboriginal people use black charcoal to clean their teeth.

I have heard of people using the activated charcoal that you get from chemists (normally used for dealing with/absorbing ingested poisons) and using that to clean their teeth.

Basically any non-toxic mild abrasive would do and charcoal is less abrasive than bicarb soda.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pixie777

Bicarbonate of Soda is simply baking soda

its not, trust me i`ve made that mistake. i can`t remember what it is but its something else in the uk anyway check the label before buying

i might try adding some coconut oil. i normaly just use bicarb

nice thread S+F

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aceofclubs

Originally posted by Pixie777

Bicarbonate of Soda is simply baking soda

its not, trust me i`ve made that mistake. i can`t remember what it is but its something else in the uk anyway check the label before buying

i might try adding some coconut oil. i normaly just use bicarb

nice thread S+F

Baking Soda is Bi Carb Soda with Tartaric Acid (cream of tartar) added.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Hey guys, also for a sweetener you might look into Xylitol.

a sugar alcohol sweetener used as a naturally occurring sugar substitute. It is found in the fibers of many fruits and vegetables, and can be extracted from various berries, oats, and mushrooms, as well as fibrous material such as corn husks and sugar cane bagasse,[2][3] and birch[citation needed]. Xylitol is roughly as sweet as sucrose with only two-thirds the food energy.

Xylitol is a "tooth-friendly," nonfermentable sugar alcohol. A systematic review study on the efficacy of xylitol has indicated dental health benefits in caries prevention, showing superior performance to other polyols (polyalcohols). This is because the structure of xylitol contains a tridentate ligand, (H-C-OH)3 that can rearrange with polyvalent cations like Ca (II). This interaction allows for Ca (II) to be transported through the gut wall barrier and through saliva may remineralize enamel before dental caries forms.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Awesome man, thank you for the great info there

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
S&F for u. its good to see people getting this useful information out. here is one that I have tried myself several times for hunting, camping, hiking, and the such for good practice measure. www.ehow.com...

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
only use a small amount of baking soda, too much can damage your gumline, at least thats what I read.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Yeah, to be honest, I've never tried. But you know, one day soon we might need that. My father spent a lot of time teaching me crazy survival stuff that he learned during war time in Europe, like how to survive a carpet bombing.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join