It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human skin embedded with spider silk can stop a bullet

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Oh wow, just like Shadowrun or cyberpunk games I used to play in HS, very cool.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
It might stop the bullet but not the energy. You will still take the energy and you'll be out of the fight.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This is so cool, I wonder if a person will ever somehow turn their whole skin bulletproof using this technology. Imagine that, you're some sketchy robber trying to mug somebody, and then you shoot them point blank and your bullet just hits them and falls to the ground.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
This is really neat, there could really be Spider Man. It used to be, that conventional wisdom said Science Fiction like in Star Trek, would eventually become reality. Now, it appears this may be so with Marvel Comix super Heros as well?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Im sure the military industrial complex already has a lot of applications for spider silk. Forget the skin, as others have posted, the kinetic energy alone would most likely kill you....but.... with say... a nano suit like in the Crysis games, the spider silk could go a long way in weight reduction yet still offering the bulletproof properties if woven in with other polymers.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
The main thing people forget about these "bulletproof" super materials is that yes, they can stop a bullet penetrating, but they dont absorb much of the impact ... i would place money on that if someone was to be wearing a hat of this stuff and was to get shot in the head, they would still die from the punch a bullet can give !

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
"Your bullets cannot harm me – my wings are like a shield of steel!"

(A Batfink reference for those without a misspent childhood)

reply to post by Jepic

I guess you have never seen Jackass? They laugh much worse off.
Whats a few welts between friends?
edit on 26/9/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: replied to Jepic humorously

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
after thinking about it i can see plenty of uses for a thin leather like bullet proof product that can be sewn into nearly anything to provide a bit of extra protection with minimal weight even down to protecting us from the sharp claws of cats when trying to pop a pill down their throat

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
where do I sign up to be a test subject and get some of this stuff. me likes......
2nd

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Ok im going try and experiment and shoot a spider at point blank range and see what happens.. If this is true the spider should survive.... brb...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Ok im going try and experiment and shoot a spider at point blank range and see what happens.. If this is true the spider should survive.... brb...

yeah thats a valid experiment..............

Also spiders skins are made with spider silk.............oh ..............wait..........

did you even actually think that through?

I know it was it was just to make a stab but, what part about that even makes sense

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ManBehindTheMask

I did think it through but evidently not in its entirety.. The theory was sound enough. A spider is a cretin made of skin that is embedded with silk. So the bad boy should be able to take a bullet if this theory it worth its salt..
The problem was the conclusion.. To get a conclusion you need results and now after the experiment the said spider is missing... I may have found one of the spiders legs, but without expensive DNA kit the experimental results remain unknown..

Soz i could not be of more help.

I tried...
I shall give you a star for your thinking ability sure outwitted me.. We would make a good scientific team if we worked together...
edit on 26-9-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
So thats spiderman's secret.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Human skin with spider's web? Goats that produce human milk? Why can't they make kittens that can talk?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   

ever notice the position of the spiderman's fingers when he shoots a web? like the devil horns salute..

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by JJDoggie84

yeah, what jjdoggie said
2nd line

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by maryhinge

Precisely. And what do we do when they create a REAL spider-man? What if he's evil? Do we try him as a human or just kill him...or try to?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I saw this on the news this week somwhere, its amazing stuff, but in the hand of a demented militry general..... well the possibiltys are endless and scary!

imagine the huge fat dude from "300" with saws/swords for arms, imagine that, now imagone heavy machines guns instead of those blades and bullet resistant skin..... Naaaassssty!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
So where does the Dutch artist come in? Was it because it was partly her idea or what?

The story is kinda vague about her.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
I saw something related to this in a documentary "How Animals Do That" and reminded me of this bad Disney movie from a couple years back called Mimzik or something like that.
At 4:50

Spiders are awesome!

Interesting series "How Animals Do That"

That's quite a story!
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 26-9-2011 by intergalactic fire because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join