It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange object in the sky, over Clovis/Portales NM today (9/23/11

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I saw today what to me was a UFO, im leaning to it not being of an alien origin and most likely a weather balloon. But to say the least it was strange. My foreman first noticed the "UFO" at approx. 10 am this morning it did not seem to be moving and if it was it was very slowly. At the time we just joked about it and went back on to our work. Later this evening at around 7 pm myself and a few of my crew mates were sitting around talking after work and noticed that the "UFO" was still in the sky now it was "glowing" or giving off a very white to silverish light. This got us thinking that maybe it wasn’t a weather balloon at all; due to the unusual amount of time it had been in the sky in one area. As the sun started to set it continued to give off the light and was still visible well after all remnants of sunlight were gone. My co-worker did get a few pictures of it though at the altitude it was barely visible. (I will have him send me the pic tomorrow and I will post it.) After discussing the object for a while we got out a pair of binoculars and took a "closer" look at the object it was balloonish shaped though it did not have a tether for the equipment like I am used to seeing.

But basically the point of this post was is a normal flight time in a given area for a weather balloon? Should it be visible in the same general area throughout a full day? Or is this possibly something else?

this is similar to all other weather balloons i have seen in this area and does not resemble what i saw today.

also if any one else in the area i am currently in saw this and got a good picture or look at it please feel free to upload a picture and tell me if i am crazy or not.

thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

edit on 23-9-2011 by crimsongod21 because: add content

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I do not understand the weather balloon explanation. I understand that when the media uses it its a cover to get people to blow it off. But when have you ever seen a weather balloon? I think their is a bigger chance of you seeing a UFO craft rather a weather balloon. They are about the size of a human being
upload.wikimedia.org... WY.jpg

Weather balloons float straight up,(well when their is not any wind) but they all ways go up then bob around. Once it gets to a certain altitude you wont be able to see it. If I wear you, (you all ready are) I would do some research into weather balloons to find out, if it really was one. IDK maybe weather balloons put off some kind of matlic light so you can track them.
edit on 23-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
I don't think anything of interest to this forum would hover anywhere from 10am to 7pm. It's probably an advertising balloon or something.

Prove me wrong though, show us the goods.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I went outside about an hour ago and witnessed something rather strange, in my opinion at least. I doubt there is any correlation, but I thought I would mention it here, as making a thread on the matter would have been a waste of space.

When I walked outside something caught my eye in the western sky. The reason I noticed it was because it was rapidly flickering between different colors. I could see red, blue, green, white, gold, and possibly others, but it was so fast it was hard to tell.

Now I know this wasn't your average atmospheric distortion, as I am familiar with that phenomenon, and also all of the stars I observed in the sky at the time appeared to twinkle normally. I mean this thing was really going crazy.
It looked like it could have been a star, but it seemed rather close when comparing it to the line of the horizon.

I thought maybe it was a plane, but I am very familiar with planes having been around them quite a bit before, during, and after my time in the USAF. I watched it for a while to see what it was going to do, and it just kept doing its thing.

So my question is whether a star that is about to go supernova or something could look like this? I remember hearing not too long ago that we were supposed to be able to see something of the sort, but I do not remember the time frame. If anyone could enlighten me via private message I would be extremely grateful. I am not usually stumped when it comes to phenomenon like this, but this time I am clueless.

I would like to mention that I don't believe it to be extra-terrestrial in origin as of yet, but that is still a possibility at this point in time. Anyway, is there any similarities in my account with what was seen in the sky in NM? I was not attempting to hijack your thread, and although I highly doubt the occurrences are linked, I figured this would be a decent place to inform everyone of what I just saw...

It was about 11pm central time, and I am located in Texas.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by RSF77

i will be providing a picture later today after my co-worker sends me the pic he snapped with his cell. it will be later in the day as i do have work today. As far as it being an advertising balloon i find that to be highly doubt full as the altitude at which it was "hovering" left it way to small to be read if there were any writing on it at all. As far as it being of no interest to this forum, well it was an unidentified flying object to me and my crew therefore i thought this would be the best place to post this thread, if i am wrong and is not the proper thread i would be open to the mods changing its location.

Thank you and good day/night depending on your location in this universe.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

UARS satellite. There are other reports from Texas and Hawaii saying they could see it go across the sky.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I live in amarillo, and i saw it too.. i have video recordings of both of the objects i saw.... the local news reported them today to be weather balloons, but they are too big!!

ill upload when i get the chance, and i also saw (the larger one) this morning and it is still visible as we speak in the northern sky now...

ill post the vids and pics when i get off work!

glad someone saw it in another town!!
edit on 24-9-2011 by NeoAstra because: fixed wording.

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

The light from double stars, each with a significantly different temperature, can provide a spectacular color show when near the horizon. Aquila, for example, should have been located above your western horizon around 11PM last night.

Check again tonight and see if the same object is visible, if it is, you have your answer.

Best regards,
Z

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Ok i have the pic, like i stated before this image was taken with my co-workers cell phone. i am currently wokring over a thousand miles from home and i do not have access to a better camera nor did my coworker so we worked with what we had.

on another note the "weather balloon" was still visable this morning for about forty five min or so. just an interesting sighting.

edit on 24-9-2011 by crimsongod21 because: add text

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by NeoAstra

yes please get the images and video uploaded. I hope that your images are better then the one i was able to provide. I'm glad that some one other then my co-workers and myself saw this.

edit on 24-9-2011 by crimsongod21 because: add text

new topics

top topics

join