It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Update: falling satellite could impact eastern U.S.

page: 12
22
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
well if it stays in that orbit,,
we could sell tickets here in Cape Breton,,
come see the Whales,
and the ,,

looks too be two, solid,, possablly three,
pieces,,
moving
much ,much , slower,
plainly, obvious,,
at this speed,
surprised not
brighter,
due too resistance,,
it may find its Orbit Yet

be just like yellowstone ,
old faithfull,,,,
come and see,,

edit on 23-9-2011 by BobAthome because: i put ,,tree,, u believe it??? lol


ohh and a word of caution,,make sure there are no blinking, lights,,
of which there were none.
edit on 23-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)




posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Human_Alien

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by kdog1982
 


By now, I think most of these trackers have stopped being reliable.

I would guess it'll come down over Africa somewhere. Hopefully they've all got their cell phone cameras ready.
The Indian Ocean is also likely, but not quite as interesting.
edit on 23-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)


In a remote section of Kenya would be an ironic ending


Yeah,what cell phone cameras.Maybe they could get lucky and get a finders fee from NASA.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
So when is it going to hit? Any minute now?


Why do I read Phage's posts in the voice of Jon Lithgow?


I thought I was the only one!!!!



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Here's a video showing the timeframe NASA has just given in it's last update.


As of 10:30 p.m. EDT on Sept. 23, 2011, the orbit of UARS was 85 miles by 90 miles (135 km by 140 km). Re-entry is expected between 11:45 p.m. Friday, Sept. 23, and 12:45 a.m., Sept. 24, Eastern Daylight Time (3:45 a.m. to 4:45 a.m. GMT). During that time period, the satellite will be passing over Canada and Africa, as well as vast areas of the Pacific, Atlantic and Indian oceans. The risk to public safety is very remote.


www.nasa.gov...




posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0
So when is it going to hit? Any minute now?


Why do I read Phage's posts in the voice of Jon Lithgow?


I thought I was the only one!!!!


You are not alone,my friend.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by loveguy
 


4.85 x 3600 = 17,460 miles per hour.


Thanks. I knew I shouldn't have made any idiotic guesstimates. I used the wrong formula entirely.

Well, I'm at 159 feet above sea-level and my house is on the mountain next to the water. So in my anxiety over this I'm wondering if should this satellite hit the Pacific, do I need to go to higher ground?




posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by loveguy

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by loveguy
 


4.85 x 3600 = 17,460 miles per hour.


Thanks. I knew I shouldn't have made any idiotic guesstimates. I used the wrong formula entirely.

Well, I'm at 159 feet above sea-level and my house is on the mountain next to the water. So in my anxiety over this I'm wondering if should this satellite hit the Pacific, do I need to go to higher ground?



Huh,no.
You should be fine.It's not that big.If it does,it will be like a really big guy going really fast doing a major bellyflop with major pain.
Kidding aside,you should be fine.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
reply to post by loveguy
 


As kdog said, you'll be fine. The satellite won't impact anywhere... parts of it will. And, regardless, even the intact satellite would do very little if it impacted the water (I'm assuming that's what you're asking about).
Besides, I still don't think it'll fall in the Pacific... I think it'll probably make it past Canada again. But, then, I'm going by the last reliable tracking data, which was quite a while ago.
edit on 23-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by loveguy
 


As kdog said, you'll be fine. The satellite won't impact anywhere... parts of it will. And, regardless, even the intact satellite would do very little if it impacted the water (I'm assuming that's what you're asking about).
Besides, I still don't think it'll fall in the Pacific... I think it'll probably make it past Canada again. But, then, I'm going by the last reliable tracking data, which was quite a while ago.
edit on 23-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)


Thanks



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
So,this sucker should be coming around New Zealand in a few minutes again and heading for the US,if it's still up there.They predicted it to come down after 11:45 pm est..
Anyone got a altitude of it,or if it's even still up there?

I'm still watching it here.
www.lizard-tail.com... 606-4%20%2033766-3%200%20%206315&2nd=2%2021701%20056.9410%20265.2237%200005407%20008.0226%20352.1131%2016.40434617109089
edit on 23-9-2011 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982
 


I think the only ones with accurate altitude data right now are the folks at NORAD.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by loveguy
 


As kdog said, you'll be fine. The satellite won't impact anywhere... parts of it will. And, regardless, even the intact satellite would do very little if it impacted the water (I'm assuming that's what you're asking about).
Besides, I still don't think it'll fall in the Pacific... I think it'll probably make it past Canada again. But, then, I'm going by the last reliable tracking data, which was quite a while ago.
edit on 23-9-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)



How many more orbits do you suspect?



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Just a thought with nasa saying maybe this pass or next, it gets shoot down approaching west coast USA? just a thought



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien
 

This should be the last orbit.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Human_Alien
 


Chadwickus posted a video of its final hour not long ago.

It probably won't make it beyond Africa this time around.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime
 

It already did pass Africa (if it's still up there). A lot of Pacific Ocean coming up.

edit on 9/23/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 


I know. It shouldn't go past Africa again.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by CLPrime
reply to post by kdog1982
 


I think the only ones with accurate altitude data right now are the folks at NORAD.


I'm well familiar with NORAD,they track Santa Claus for my kids.
Just kidding.



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime
 

I can't get the mental image of the satellite eye view out of my head.
Zipping along. Gradually slowing down...



posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage
 


It's actually kinda sad, yet beautiful at the same time. Someone could make a movie of this, all from the satellite's point of view, and it would probably make me shed a tear or two.




top topics



 
22
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

log in

join