It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Morgan Freeman: Obama Made Racism Worse, Tea Party Will Do 'Whatever [It] Can To Get This Black Man

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211
Look ...

No one is disputing anyone's 1st amendment rights. But what about being responsible? You, know like yelling fire in a crowded theater isn't cool?

A celebrity yelling "racism" during a heated campaign isn't cool either.

One is a public health hazard and the other is not.

Far too many people here (mostly from the left it seems)...

I'm very conservative. I find it kinda humourous(yeah I put the "u" in there
) that a Canadian is defending the US Constitution.

ETA: So are you saying that famous people have to give up their Constitutional rights?
edit on 27-9-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Look ...

No one is disputing anyone's 1st amendment rights. But what about being responsible? You, know like yelling fire in a crowded theater isn't cool?

A celebrity yelling "racism" during a heated campaign isn't cool either.

One is a public health hazard and the other is not.

Far too many people here (mostly from the left it seems)...

I'm very conservative. I find it kinda humourous(yeah I put the "u" in there
) that a Canadian is defending the US Constitution.

I know you are Canadian and that comment was for people who know who they are.

Regarding your health hazard comment, please consider this news. Incident like this have been showing up more and more. Can you say that racially charged comments from celebrities and leaders are not a factor in the increasing number of these incidents being reported?

source - I know, I know more facts

And no, I'm saying that the people with the bullhorn should be a little more careful what they yell.

And why are you continuing to ignore the title and subject of this OP in order to keep harping about constitutional rights when that could clearly be considered off topic or even a deflection attempt?

edit on 9/27/2011 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Regarding your health hazard comment, please consider this news. Incident like this have been showing up more and more. Can you say that racially charged comments from celebrities and leaders are not a factor in the increasing number of these incidents being reported?

I don't think so, at least not in a major way. Hatred is a learned behavior. Usually from parents. People gravitate towards a message that they already believe in. I don't think that what any given person says creates that atmosphere. It's like horticulture. You may have a seed but without fertile land to plant it in, it won't grow. Again, what do you propose?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Asked and answered.

I'm saying that the people with the bullhorn should be a little more careful what they yell.

Now, what do you think about Freeman taking obama to task for making racism worse?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

I don't think so, at least not in a major way. Hatred is a learned behavior. Usually from parents. People gravitate towards a message that they already believe in. I don't think that what any given person says creates that atmosphere. It's like horticulture. You may have a seed but without fertile land to plant it in, it won't grow. Again, what do you propose?

And if you are a celebrity and/or leader knowing the "ground is fertile", think as in horticulture the grower (celebrity/leader) has an obligation to be careful which seeds they plant? Maybe take care to plant nice, useful plants instead of noxious weeds?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Asked and answered.

I'm saying that the people with the bullhorn should be a little more careful what they yell.

That is un-Constitutional. But if we are going to take the rights away from famous people, I reserve Carville for myself. I'd LOVE to slap that idiot.

Now, what do you think about Freeman taking obama to task for making racism worse?

I think he's wrong.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I'm not so sure about the "learned from parents" part.

My family, and town was all-white, and n-words and racist jokes were common. Yet, I didn't grow up racist. My parents both smoked, and I never did. Nor did my brother. I dated a black girl as soon as I was old enough to drive and meet one. Curiosity I guess.

But, after moving to this town, where there are plenty of criminals and impoverished black folks, and extremely poor customer service, and reverse racism, I have now learned the reasoning behind racism, and in the most stereotypical cases I even agree with it!!

It exists because of cultural differences.

When I am paying for something at a counter, I want more than a grunt from the person working, and I will patiently hold onto my money until I get some eye contact and polite words. In a town that is almost exactly 50/50 between white and black, most places I go have exclusively black employees. I have gone so far as to make the Walmart manager find me a white cashier (who he had to page from the jewelry department), because I was so dissatisfied with the level of service from the black ones.

Now, I also have a half-black girl as a roommate, and my best friend is white with a black fiance, and my second best friend is black. I love them all very dearly. I have no problem with the color of their skin, but I have a HUGE problem with the part of their culture that makes it ok to not speak properly, and have a bunch of illegitimate babies, and live off government handouts. Sure, there are white folks in the same boat, with the same habits, and I despise them as well. It isn't a color issue, it is a cultural issue, and when speaking in generalities or stereotypes, sometimes they are well-founded.

I am also a Tea Partier, and in case nobody noticed, the Tea Party is extremely influential in Florida, and Herman Cain (a black man!) won a landslide victory in the Florida Straw Poll!!!

Color of the skin isn't the issue. Culture, and bad political policies are the issue. Obama is hated for his policies. The Tea Party hates Communists not black folks. Herman Cain is the proof.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Asked and answered.

That is un-Constitutional. But if we are going to take the rights away from famous people, I reserve Carville for myself. I'd LOVE to slap that idiot.

I've not advocated - at all - taking away anyone's right to speak. Said that repeatedly.

However, there is no constitutional amendment against "self restraint" - which I do suggest celebrities and leaders might want to exercise.

I think he's wrong.

Yeah!

I knew we'd find common ground eventually.

And you can have Carville. Half suspect he might even be an alien - from up there, not over there.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Are you saying that this:

Originally posted by getreadyalready
I'm not so sure about the "learned from parents" part.

My family, and town was all-white, and n-words and racist jokes were common.

May not contribute to this?

When I am paying for something at a counter, I want more than a grunt from the person working, and I will patiently hold onto my money until I get some eye contact and polite words. In a town that is almost exactly 50/50 between white and black, most places I go have exclusively black employees. I have gone so far as to make the Walmart manager find me a white cashier (who he had to page from the jewelry department), because I was so dissatisfied with the level of service from the black ones.

The service industry sucks. I've worked in it. That is universal. Whether white or black.

ETA: I highly recommend people see American History X
edit on 27-9-2011 by intrepid because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This from a guy that wants to marry and start a family with his granddaughter? HERE

Why would anyone listen to this "man"? Why is he credible about any topic?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Yes, I am saying they are absolutely not related.

I never had any ill-conceived notions, or any reason to believe in racism, and I was blissfully naive until I actually moved to this community.

The ill-feelings I have now are a direct result from the experiences here. They have nothing to do with where or how I was raised.

And I have to disagree, there is a huge difference in customer service between black folks and white folks. Of course there are exceptions, but in general, the black folks have terrible customer service.

I used to manage 160 call center agents, and I rarely had a complaint about the white agents, but I had dozens daily about the black ones. Worse yet, when addressing a concern with a white agent, they were apologetic and wanted to correct the issue, whereas the black ones were defiant and couldn't believe they were actually getting into trouble for telling somebody off, when they obviously deserved it.

And don't think this was because I was a white supervisor. One of my co-workers was a retired Navy Officer, and he was black, and we often conversed about how it was so difficult to get decent customer service from the black folks. It was more difficult to hire them as well. Even the ones with Master's Degrees had trouble with typing letters in proper grammar, and they had problems taking any supervision, and they were much more likely to file grievances for the smallest little things.

And all of that at an agency that was 70% black! It isn't like they were being discriminated against. They were the in the majority! Even in management they were the majority, and the management often complained about the difficulty in managing the black employees.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TreadUpon
This from a guy that wants to marry and start a family with his granddaughter? HERE

Why would anyone listen to this "man"? Why is he credible about any topic?

A 3 year old story with based on unamed sources? From the Celebrity "Love" Gossip column of the National Enquirer???

Really????

Some people just work hard to drag ATS down.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Alas, for some of you here this thread which I just started also contains some pretty controversial comments from another leading democrat - this time the governor of North Carolina.

Before any of you go there - just like in this thread - I'm not saying or have ever said that the governor doesn't have a right to make these comments, it's about the meaning of things she actually did say. And the constitutionality of the governor's remarks. And a possible ulterior motive behind her remarks (ATS is a CT website).

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
Don't know or want to know much about the Chimps tea party or jelly and custard party or whatever they're called or stand for...but i LOVE Morgan Freeman!

Not literally...LOVE him, of course...but he is great.

It'll be a sad day when he stops acting or shuffles off.

Interlude over...carry on with the bickering.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

everyone in a democracy but not all voices carry the same weight as others.

the common man is often never heard and often dismissed however that is different for those who use their fame and fortune to speak out their beleifs they use that to their advantage where the common folk have none.

in a country founded on equality i find that to be disingenious freeman doesnt speak for everyone in this country he speaks for himself.

all thoughts and actions are equal in the eyes of all men but to use their station nope their opinions are no better than anyone elses.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

yay!

in a country founded on equality i find that to be disingenious freeman doesnt speak for everyone in this country he speaks for himself.

thank you neo96 - for talking to me

It's just so pathetic when I have to beg :-)

He DOES speak for himself - and this is exactly the point I'd like to make

The individual is responsible for their own choices - their beliefs, decisions - their actions

The individual

Whether or not it's Freeman, Trump, Ghandi, Giuliani or Oprah Winfrey - it absolutely doesn't matter

If you find yourself in a position to speak, and you actually believe that you speak for other people - you are mostly a danger to yourself - but that's better left for another thread probably

People are - for the most part - free to speak their minds in this country. Thank the stars above - we are (for the most part) free to listen - to who ever we choose

It's when we start to tell each other that certain people are a danger and shouldn't be allowed to speak that we begin to kill the whole thing - it only works for all of us when it works for all of us

Let them speak - whoever they are

But, buyer beware - the responsibility for that is always with the individual

so, I really have to ask you - how is it disingenuous for him to speak his mind - especially when he's been asked?

Do you really think he should bow out just because he's a celebrity? Celebrities should not have political opinions?

I'm an average citizen with absolutely no name recognition, but you had better believe that if I was sitting in front of a microphone and someone asked - I would tell you what I thought

edit on 9/27/2011 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Spiramirabilis

people can say whatever they want and they are also free to disagree with it.

when people value other peoples opinions more than their own

well the sheep comes to mind and for those who are defending freeman well i say they are just sitting there looking for validation of their own beliefs.

a collective mentality if you will.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

when people value other peoples opinions more than their own

Exactly this - and that matching tendency - whenever we believe (and we all do from time to time) that we have a duty to protect others from 'wrong-thinking'

Can we protect people from their own beliefs? Should we? How arrogant is that really?

If we believe in personal responsibility, we have to allow people to be responsible for themselves

I sound all Tea-partiesh now - don't I? :-)

This thread is about Morgan Freeman speaking his mind - he doesn't like the Tea Party, and the Tea Party doesn't like him - seriously - I'm not really sure what the OP was trying to say, but what came out of it was a few people saying he should just keep his big fat mouth shut because his opinion is that of an actor - he has no business criticizing the Tea party - because why?

Because he's an actor :-)

I still haven't heard a real good reason why this is a problem

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

A 3 year old story with based on unamed sources? From the Celebrity "Love" Gossip column of the National Enquirer???

Really????

Some people just work hard to drag ATS down.

Here is a source closer to your heart...

3 years isn't a long time in that incestuous age-gap, is it? If he sees nothing wrong with that it's his business I guess. But instead of question his capacity to qualify right from wrong while he refuses the reality of the tea party in favor of his totally bogus and unfounded one, then I'll dismiss him out of hand.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join