It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NC governor recommends suspending democracy to focus on jobs

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
Here we ago again.

Another democrat leader - this time the governor of North Carolina - makes questionable (unconstitutional?) statements regarding the current budget crisis and upcoming elections.

The governor wants to suspend congressional elections "for the next couple of years" so congress can focus on jobs and the economy.

source

As a way to solve the national debt crisis, North Carolina Democratic Gov. Beverly Perdue recommends suspending congressional elections for the next couple of years.

“I think we ought to suspend, perhaps, elections for Congress for two years and just tell them we won’t hold it against them, whatever decisions they make, to just let them help this country recover,” Perdue said at a rotary club event in Cary, North Carolina, according to the Raleigh News & Observer. “I really hope that someone can agree with me on that.”

Even if this idea was constitutional, this is a CT website, so I have to ask, "Is this a sincere request, or the opening rounds of an attmepted coup by democrats to retain power they know they are sure to lose in the 2012 elections?"

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

"Let's take away Congress' accountability, they'll be sure to come up with a solution that represents their constituents!"

Who could argue with such sound logic?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think we should give them til the first of the year to come up with a viable plan that will get us out of this mess. If they don't, disband them and put in a fresh batch.
edit on 27-9-2011 by N3k9Ni because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Well you what is kinda scary, its not like they haven't passed unconstitutional bills before.

If they created first a bill to amend the consitution to allow for this to happen, which would be something like the patriot act. And the bill to make the the extension of the term of the elections then was voted in with a majority, then they could make a president be allowed in possibly forever, as long as the economic situation "demands".

What I really don't understand is why they still go through all the trouble of making bills to change the contitution instead of just making a new one that they want, which is basically what they are doing anyways.

The constitution isn't something that is the base rules, because it is always changing, as soon as they made the first amendment it was doomed to become a frankenstien monster.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni
I think we should give them til the first of the year to come up with a viable plan that will get us out of this mess. If they don't, disband them and put in a fresh batch.
edit on 27-9-2011 by N3k9Ni because: (no reason given)

Maybe that's a solution ...

However, it sure doesn't sound like a good solution to indefinitely extend the terms of the current congress since they've already proven they can't get anything done.

That's why I raised the spectre of a possible coup. Because extending the current members terms indefinitely would only benefit the democrats likely to lose their seats. This would be especially critical to the democrats in the senate where they still have a majority.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
those people seriously want a 1 rule fascist party

this is in a long line of instances where if they could do it they would.

the only thing those people are about is power and control

and im here to say that constitution aint just a @#$! piece of paper
edit on 27-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Ridiculous.

I hope North Carolina people are listening well and will kick that crazy witch out of office as soon as they can.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   
There is only one form of suspension deserved by a politician declaring such nonsense, I don't for one moment believe the back tracking claims that it was just a joke either.

IMHO this was a trial balloon to gauge public reaction by those currently in the highest office - this governor served as a useful idiot for those truly wanting suspension of elections.

Most specifically the Senate and Executive branch - they know the train is speeding down the track and is coming straight for them - derailment is their only chance to hold on to power.

Warned many years ago that if they swung the pendulum to far one direction it must swing equally as far the other direction - of course they ignored basic law of gravity and went for the hopey dopey thing. Now that their policies are shown as abject failure its looking like tyranny is the road they want to take.

If the TPTB attempt to suspend elections, the people may give a direct lesson of gravity in return.

It should not matter what politics you subscribe to - this should be considered a shot across the bow to all.

I've not been keen on Ron Paul but he's looking better and better everyday.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Just want to add,

The only way TPTB could get away with this is by martial law suspending constitutional rights and the function of the courts.

Doing otherwise a case could be made in the courts that all offices involved become "vacant" at end of mandated terms. Anyone occupying office after that would be an illegal usurper open to the highest penalties called for in the Constitution - namely those covered as treasonous.

A politician supporting this should be immediately impeached for violating the oath of office. (today, right now)

Anyone voting or supporting this kind of maneuver would be guilty of sedition.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

So, as I am prone to do, I skipped the source you provided and went to the actual ROOT source that the Daily Caller cited, the Raleigh News & Observer.

And unsuprisingly the article had a slightly different headline...There is a reason that on ATS, breaking political news requires the Headline to match the source, an ethical standard that the dailycaller is not beholden to.

The Headline from the Raleigh News & Observer, the article cited by the Daily Caller

Perdue jokes about suspending Congressional elections for two years

Complete with an official statement from the Govenors spokesperson.

"Come on," said spokeswoman Chris Mackey in a statement. "Gov. Perdue was obviously using hyperbole to highlight what we can all agree is a serious problem: Washington politicians who focus on their own election instead of what’s best for the people they serve."

projects.newsobserver.com...

That said, I understand the rhetorical utility for both political parties to pull statements out of context or to treat frivolous remarks as sincere, but I still believe we would have much needed, honest, civil discourse if we ceased the nonsense.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indigo5

So, as I am prone to do, I skipped the source you provided and went to the actual ROOT source that the Daily Caller cited, the Raleigh News & Observer.

And unsuprisingly the article had a slightly different headline...There is a reason that on ATS, breaking political news requires the Headline to match the source, an ethical standard that the dailycaller is not beholden to.

The Headline from the Raleigh News & Observer, the article cited by the Daily Caller

"Come on," said spokeswoman Chris Mackey in a statement. "Gov. Perdue was obviously using hyperbole to highlight what we can all agree is a serious problem: Washington politicians who focus on their own election instead of what’s best for the people they serve."

That said, I understand the rhetorical utility for both political parties to pull statements out of context or to treat frivolous remarks as sincere, but I still believe we would have much needed, honest, civil discourse if we ceased the nonsense.

Yeah sure... "I was joking". Does that excuse work on your spouse or significant other? Didn't think so.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Be advised that the paper changed the original headline after the controversy came to light - your quoted headline is an after the fact EDIT after the idiots public spokesperson attempted to claim the whole thing was in jest.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

To bad you missed this source in your "investigation" then ...

Try actually listening to the audio (this time).

source

Newly released audio contradicts the claims of Perdue’s press team that her call Tuesday for suspending Congressional election was a joke or hyperbole. In the recording, her tone is matter-of-fact and her comments are part of a serious speech.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

After that, then let's suspend democracy to focus on;
Dinner.
Buying some comfortable shoes.
Growing leeks for a nice soup in the fall.
The season of Fringe.
Waiting for the hair plugs to grow in.
I might have lyme disease.

Until people forget what democracy is.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Traverses the same path as Obama. In regards to comments about going around Congress and such.

Not surprised, not one bit.

edit on 28-9-2011 by macman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

After that, then let's suspend democracy to focus on;
Dinner.
Buying some comfortable shoes.
Growing leeks for a nice soup in the fall.
The season of Fringe.
Waiting for the hair plugs to grow in.
I might have lyme disease.

Until people forget what democracy is.

The rule by mob called Democracy IS just what I'd like for people to forget, forgotten is what a Republic is!, you know that old fashioned thing supposedly meaning representative government.

My siggy is a testament to what evil I believe democracy is and allows to happen.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Phoenix

*Sigh*
Then replace democracy with representative republic.

Same thing applies. They are trying to circumvent the form of government that we currently have.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by Phoenix

*Sigh*
Then replace democracy with representative republic.

Same thing applies. They are trying to circumvent the form of government that we currently have.

I keep going back to that idea that we are a Democratic Republic, not a full on Democracy.

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by macman

I agree. Whatever someone calls it though, it's going the way of the Dodo, in a hurry!

posted on Sep, 28 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Well... being a resident of NC, our governor really stepped into the stuff this time.

She made a statement that most people can understand... and let me tell you, after hearing the video...she was not joking... if so, her wit is as dry as a cracker...and it went straight over the heads of the audience as there was no laughter... you can hear jaws hitting the floor, however.

Reactions range from annoyance to outright threats of rebellion.

Can you imagine her political entourage...dropping their heads...face in hands...shaking their heads and going "Stop, Bev. Please just stop,...stop,... oh,God... please just stop."

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join