It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So our minds CAN be read: Magnetic scanner produces these actual images from inside people's brains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Scientists have created a revolutionary brain imaging process which allows them to 'see' moving images inside people's minds. As the test subjects think of a video, the researchers 'see' it on screen.

It's the most astonishing demonstration of 'mind reading' technology ever demonstrated.

The academics from the University of California, Berkeley, managed to decipher brain activity by measuring blood flow through the brain's visual cortex, and used this information to construct images of what they were 'thinking'.

Full Article

Really amazing!

And the most interesting part is:

As yet, the technology can only recognise and reconstruct movie clips shown to the test subjects before they braved the scanner.

However, the breakthrough paves the way for reproducing the movies inside our heads that no one else sees, such as dreams and memories, according to researchers.

Still getting my head around the concept but it seems fascinating. I'm definitely keeping an eye on the progress of this research.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
wow, just wow.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Great, maybe now I will be able to find out the name of that song/film I have had stuck in my head for a long time

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I don't like it
It makes me want to puke!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Our brains emit electromagnetic signals. They can be read like a billboard.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by iversusvsversusi

And I'm quite sure all our technological devices - smart phones / macs - already do this.

Hell, most people are sitting at a mac right now with a camera looking right at them.
Watch the Dark Knight, Im not the first person to think of this.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by icepack

That was basically my first reaction.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on an other thread here.

OK, I think this thing is bunk. Why? Because our eyes, even though we don't realize it, see all around the TV screen. And our eyse dart everywhere. We see our hand whent it reaches for the remote. The rims of our eye glasses. The wall behind the TV. Bilnking. None of those things or anything that is relatable to human visual stimuly for that matter can be observed in those videos.

edit on 23-9-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
ok whens the iphone app coming out?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

From my understanding, they show the clip to the person, and then the person is asked, in a separate environment, to think about the clip. When I think about a movie, I am thinking about just the movie, not all of those things that come along with watching the movie. I see your point but it's not seeing what other people see, it's seeing what the other people are thinking about.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by XLR8R
I'll just copy and paste what I wrote on an other thread here.

OK, I think this thing is bunk. Why? Because our eyes, even though we don't realize it, see all around the TV screen. And our eyse dart everywhere. We see our hand whent it reaches for the remote. The rims of our eye glasses. The wall behind the TV. Bilnking. None of those things or anything that is relatable to human visual stimuly for that matter can be observed in those videos.

edit on 23-9-2011 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

we are talking about the brain not what our eyes are seeing at that very moment close your eyes and think of a dream you had that stayed in your mind. are you blinking do you see the rims of your glasses? if so you mind made that image because it was a dream not what you were realy seeing right? i believe this is possible havent you heard there giving eyes to the blind with this type of technology?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Guess that means no more secrets....is nothing sacred.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

You definitely deserve a hi5
ahem

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Wow, kind of like the technology used on the NEXT movie. Where they used an equipment to see what was going on in Cage's mind when he's having his future vision.

Cheers LOL
edit on 24-9-2011 by KnocksMeDead because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

What many of you are failing to understand is that they aren't actually reading anyone's mind. They back-engineered the brain by comparing stimuli. As the person watched each clip, they would monitor what responses were being seen in the brain. Then they began to see patterns between certain colors, shapes, patterns, etc. Then when the person would recall the video clip, they would compare that input with the range of YouTube videos that they showed to the person in total. It would then narrow down those certain clips (a group of them) and overlay them on top of one another. That's what the video is showing—a conglomerate of clips piled on top of one another, each part containing certain visual cues that match up with their brain response that was observed during the initial video watching by the individual. It isn't a video from inside their brain, it isn't what the person actually saw. It's the actual YouTube videos themselves. They have to have something to compare it to first. In it's present state, or even with a few more years of advancement, the best thing they could probably do is see if you've ever watched a certain clip/movie or whatever. But they would have to have a huge database of every film ever made to compare what you're thinking of to, and an enormous super computer to crunch those sorts of numbers. Searching every video file ever made for patterns matching up to brain output would likely take a quantum computer to work on a timescale that is reasonable.

While this development is freaky and unsettling, it is far from able to read our minds. Some ethics need to be developed in this field, that is certain. I see how they're wanting to develop things like this for disabled people so that they can communicate or control mechanical limbs, but there is certainly a lot of people who could take this research and use it for bad. I wouldn't be surprised if the government is already much more advanced than they are in this area, but who really knows?

posted on Sep, 24 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
This thread deserves way more attention, this technology is actually incredible. And it's only in its infancy! Amazing.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I found another article talking about this new technology...

Movies of the Mind; In Theaters Soon?

I wonder how long it will take for governments to try and use this technology for interrogation?

They probably already are...

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone

Nothing is sacred when technology takes command.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by Destinyone

Nothing is sacred when technology takes command.

I'm more concerned about the techonology they don't tell us about. If they have this, and are telling us about it, you know it's either old, or compared to the secret stuff, totally outdated! Of course, I am paranoid...

new topics

top topics

join