It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Matters!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I wanted to start a spot where myself and my fellow Aussies can discuss banter in our own backyard- obviously everyones input is more than welcome but, we ARE a pretty tribal race even between our own states.

One thing that has been apparrent to me for a while is all of these desalinisation water treatment plants getting the thumbs up to go ahead. Does anybody else see this as a blatant step to privatise water?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
G'day cobber. Pais me didgereedoo and me fowr x mayte. By crickey. Throw
another shrimp on the barbie. That's not a knife, this is a knife. Onya
cobber. I could really go a cuppa saintie. Hooroo bloke. Catcha later
hellza by jingo ya drongo.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Barely caught a word of it fella. Better luck next time uh?

Where exactly are you from that gives you the right to try and take the p*** on a yankee manifested stereotype?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:25 AM
link   
i hate our current prime minister, who the hell elected her?
i just wish we could have an election. we need a ron paul clone to vote for

sorry, had to get that off my chest
edit on 23-9-2011 by jazzguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

No one elected her remember? She usurped Ruddy overnight!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Pirateofpsychonautics

The greens and Independents put he in.
She Stabbed Rudd during his term, this is hers now and she is *******ing it up Royaly

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
i dont buy that Australia is a continent, it's just king of the islands.
thats my 2 cents
ps what's up with the aboriginals?

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pirateofpsychonautics
I wanted to start a spot where myself and my fellow Aussies can discuss banter in our own backyard- obviously everyones input is more than welcome but, we ARE a pretty tribal race even between our own states.

One thing that has been apparrent to me for a while is all of these desalinisation water treatment plants getting the thumbs up to go ahead. Does anybody else see this as a blatant step to privatise water?

I'm not sure why that would be an issue? If the delivery of water were privatized, it could very well open the door for competition and lower costs. Let the market determine the cost for water, not the government.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Right on dude. I drive a Holden commodore ss-v so I know you guys matter. Your the only dudes making man cars anymore. Also screw ford.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Mate

That's not specifically the case. As far as I'm aware Queensland mothballed their plant(s).

The other point is the necessity of the plants. Take for example Perth. Sits on the edge of a a desert and has been experiencing low rainfall. Continuous population increase dictates the requirement for desalination, unless of course you can make rainfall rates increase proportionally with population.

Cheers

P.S. And I think ALL of our politicians suck.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Out of curiosity, do you know how many of us are here.

Cheers

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
thats my 2 cents

Depends on what you mean by what's up, really depends on which state you're in.

As for the desalination plants, here in Victoria I don't really see the need for them yet, but it could be a good pre-emptive step

What states do we have in here?
I for one am a bloody proud Victorian

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Water supply is already privatized in Victoria. Desalinisation is the much needed solution to water supply in this country. We have the opportunity to be an innovator as far as this goes. I'm sure its unlikely to be taken advantage of though.

All I ever hear from city dwelling Greenies is, we have to cut out population, there is not enough water. HELLO, 90% of the earths surface is water and the technology exists to make it drinkable.

This solution offers us the ability to maintain the current growth rate with immigration and possibly end this anti family, anti growth sentiment that seems to be popular here right now.

This has caused female Australian birth rates to drop to 1.5 (2.1 is needed just to maintain our population).

If water is available inland, farming becomes plausible in many useless areas, which flows on down to overall growth. Much better than raping the land with resource mining.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   

NT Mate

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by jazzguy

Its a good question. Between her and Rudd, they have made more regulations and passed more laws than every other prime minister combined. Not looking good really.

I hear they are trying to ban some naturally occurring drug and components used to make it as well as plants that contain traces of it. From what Ive read this means banning 20% of our natural flora as well as half of the items in your average supermarket.

Ive also noticed alot of over the counter medications, you get the third degree and have to show your license for now. Thanks Nanny state.

I had a tooth ache and went to buy some neurophen plus and got asked for ID and to explain why I needed it then got a lecture about safety. Next door to that chemist is a supermarket that sells cigarettes and has a bottle shop. Totally ridiculous.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
The CIA put Gillard in.

Dont beleive me? Google Mark Arbib and his CIA connections.

He is one of the power brokers in the Labor right and in wikileaks was announced that he was an informant to the CIA on all matters political in this country.

Why the Right of the labor party put a communist redhead as their leader beats the hell out of me.

Im still trying to make sense of that move.

and nobody voted gillard in, the independants voted her in, which just shows how flawed our voting system is and should be changed to not allow this to happen again.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
Of course, it is part of the privatisation of our water. But also backup in case our water supply should become dirty & I'm also fairly certain they plan to use desal plants to detox the lovely 'produced' water from CSG mining, ready for us to drink.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Hey all, I'm in Victoria. As far as the desal goes it is something we may need in the future but as far as costs go our water is only going to increase. I think the money spent on the desal could have been better spent on more dams in high catchment areas. The pipeline comes into this as well, an national infrastructure would be better than desal plants, especially along the East coast. Obviously WA and the NT would be a major job in running pipelines, more so for Perth where desal plants are more practical. For the Eastern states though this should be a priority to get this infrastructure happening, yes the costs would be high but look at the valuable ability of catching lost rainfall in places like Qld and northern NSW. Desal plants are very costly and once on line in Vic it will cost us regardless of whether we are using it. With the good rainfall we've had this is becoming more of an issue.

Gillard is a backstabbing # and shouldn't be there at all. As far as politicians go, none of them are worthwhile and it comes down to better the Devil you know. Oh well, pass me another brew.

Hooroo
edit on 23-9-2011 by Rellix because: spelling, cause I'm a good englisher!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by vjr1113
thats my 2 cents

Depends on what you mean by what's up, really depends on which state you're in.

As for the desalination plants, here in Victoria I don't really see the need for them yet, but it could be a good pre-emptive step

What states do we have in here?
I for one am a bloody proud Victorian

Queenslander here Giday to you (born NSW) lived WA NT NSW Qld and Tasmania. Family couldn't sit still

Still can't. Couldn't pay me to live in Victoria though

The de-sal at Tweed I think, was put on hold before completion due to the fact that more than a third of Qld got flooded, never rains it pours!
Unfortunately years ago the greenies stopped a lot of dams from going ahead (in Qld), which in the long run was not sensible, without water we're dead pretty much.
The problem I have is this fracking for natural gas, which seems to have been brushed under the carpet lately here.
If you've ever seen Gas Land, you'll know we don't want that here. Then we really will have water issues, If they tried that in my back yard they'd find it broken as often as I could manage.
We need to learn the lessons of other countries for sure.
Good idea for a thread mate, although I don't encourage segregation...

Aussie! Aussie! Aussie!

On that note I want to add how bloody glad I am, my family and I, live in the Southern Hemisphere!

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 02:52 AM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

We got to lay overdoing the ockerism that disappeared years ago. Too much of that makes us look hick, silly and immature.

If want to retain some ockerism because it part of our heritage than fine but lets not over do it.

Every Australia day I see far too many people running around waving Australian flags but talking American. If we want to retain our identify we have to do something about this trend. Why do Aussies regard things American as superior to things Australian anyway?

Just listen around you'll know what I mean. Instead of going heavy on the ockerism why don’t we go heavy on having an identity that does not include becoming American or worse still, a Bitza race?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join