It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mystery Of Why Insects Are Attracted To Light?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
as soon as i read "there are several theories as to why" i know right away that we really don't know the answer. we have all seen it thousands of times. various insects flying or crawling around and near light,artificial light.have you ever wondered why? scientists and entomologists don't even know for sure why so many types of insects are perpetually attracted to light.This is another in a long list of common occurences,that we see everyday all around us all the time and we just assume that the answers as to why are known.but upon closer study we find out that we don't know...

the light itself seems to be attracting them.but its "artificial light" at night,not real light...

do they use the sun as a navagation tool for flight?...if so...to where?...

light bulbs are not sun light.so if they are instinctively attracted to sunlight,then why are they also attracted to artificial light when they have been seeing sunlight for millions of years and artificial light for only a couple of hundred?...

heres a link about why? are insects attracted to light and it clearly states that there are several "theories" as to why...> www.wisegeek.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Since we are theorizing I'll give mine. Is it possible insects being creatures of pure instinct without any emotional compromise to agenda. Could be attributing the artificial light with that of the one people claim they see in death?

If this is somewhat true I believe this proves reincarnation. The insects remember that light at the end of tunnel being a ending/beginning. So they possibly believe that the light will take them somewhere. Either to an after life state of being or to a new life.

Who knows these things?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
as far as i see insects are drawn to heat, not the light itself.

they flock to heat sources, most our light sources heat up

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

That's my opinion on it as well. Most insects thrive in a humid and hot environment. They are attracted to heat. Light produces heat, therefore they often find themselves swarming toward light bulbs.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   
Maybe someone can also speculate as to why every other insect will fly into my bug zapper except for flies, the one pesky insect I'm trying to rid our yard of!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

One more possibility is that insects in general are somewhat blind! Notice alot of their communications and senses are relied upon things like antennae and tiny hairs on various body parts.

Much like a rhino or bat they are stronger in other senses where they are weak in sight. I'm not stating this as fact only a possibility. So lets say insects like the moth are somewhat blind. An artificial light that stands out amongst any other thing they can see attracts them. Because since it is so prominent then anything else visible they are hypnotised by it.

Who knows these things?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by 2manyquestions

You both have a point but being 98 degrees you think they'd be all over us!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

my theory is that when they evolved to fly
they were trying to reach the sun for a sesne of heat or something similar and this is what kick started evolution.
so they are hardwired to do this, and a light bulb would probably seem similar scale to a small bug.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
They see light as "the way out" the light will lead you out of darkness.

And bugs that eat bugs are smart enough to know the can wait near light for a meal.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Here's why I think It's possible they are somewhat blind!

If it could see It'd know it was dead!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicarious10000

You both have a point but being 98 degrees you think they'd be all over us!

Sometimes they are, but if we're near a light, the light is going to produce more heat than our bodies. Take a farm for example.... plenty of flies and insets to swat at when your'e sitting outside. Of course some insects come near us for other reasons such as food. I don't know.. that's just my unscientific observer theory.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Since we are theorizing I'll give mine. Is it possible insects being creatures of pure instinct without any emotional compromise to agenda. Could be attributing the artificial light with that of the one people claim they see in death?

If this is somewhat true I believe this proves reincarnation. The insects remember that light at the end of tunnel being a ending/beginning. So they possibly believe that the light will take them somewhere. Either to an after life state of being or to a new life.

Who knows these things?
you have said exactly the first thing that i though of right after i posted my thread!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU

even when its 100 degrees outside? and insects usually seek the cool moist ground beneath rocks,logs and wet leaves...
edit on 21-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   

Yeah but I'am MUCH warmer then the side of the house or base of the porch. You would think that when I sit outside they'd all sense that heat that my body is giving off and fly right to me.

I'm sorry I don't believe heat source is it. They'd be attracted to the hood of your car after going on a cc or errand run.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

reply to post by blocula

One more possibility is that insects in general are somewhat blind! Notice alot of their communications and senses are relied upon things like antennae and tiny hairs on various body parts.

Much like a rhino or bat they are stronger in other senses where they are weak in sight. I'm not stating this as fact only a possibility. So lets say insects like the moth are somewhat blind. An artificial light that stands out amongst any other thing they can see attracts them. Because since it is so prominent then anything else visible they are hypnotised by it.

Who knows these things?
according to this link, almost every type of insect has eyes that see...membracid.wordpress.com...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kalamatas
Maybe someone can also speculate as to why every other insect will fly into my bug zapper except for flies, the one pesky insect I'm trying to rid our yard of!
flies are usually associated with evil hauntings correct? there is the demon,beelzebub, who is the lord of the flies! and fly's don't go "into the light" !!! > en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by blocula

Rhino's and Bats have eyes aswell. What I'am suggesting is like the rhino the vision they are capable of might be distorted or very limited.

And I'm not putting this on all insects. Just the ones that fly into artificial light!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicarious10000

yes their short lives leading them to the memory of the light we all must return to

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I believe it's a spiritual sign to!

But I cannot discount that it could be a vision problem or lack of on the part of the insects behavior.

Like I said if it was heat source. They'd be all over us or the hoods of our cars. Heres another proof. Why are they disinterested in the light bulb when the light goes out? If it's been on long enough it's still hot and throwing off heat!

Something to ponder here!

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
insects have been on earth for over 400,000,000 years!!! maybe they "know" something we dont? > wiki.answers.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join