It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) and it's gonna hit America.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

The model used to predict the breakup should take that into account. It says that there will be 26 pieces which will make it to the ground and be large enough to pose a hazard.

How good is the software? I dunno, but they've gotta have a pretty good idea about what's going to happen if they're making that kind of pronouncement.

edit on 9/21/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Unless your karma is a mess there isn't much to worry about.

That's great

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ok, so the projected break up in atmosphere is 26 pieces, got ya. Interesting. I could track the satellite with my Ipad up until recently but now I cant find the satellite listed on the program anymore.

Will there be any kind of light show from the re entry into Earth visible?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
the fact that they cannot or choose not to control where 'wimpy 6.5 ton satelline will crash and burn over america (why not have pushed it out to see somehow, or blown it up as previously mentioned into smaller bits)

says volumes as to where gov/nasa stands for security of their people.. we're just numbers.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
reply to post by ziggyproductions05

The bird weighs about 5,900 kg. About 532 kg will hit the ground. That's a lot of stuff going poof.
It won't pass over me but some of the possible passes will be in viewing range. I'll have my video camera charged.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

My point exactly. Why can't they just blow it out of the sky. Then they wouldn't have to worry about it hitting anybody.

I mean if they can't destroy a little satellite like this, what makes us think they can ever save us from an asteroid.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   
reply to post by KingJod

weaponization of space is not allowed

they wont let us

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by KingJod
reply to post by ignant

My point exactly. Why can't they just blow it out of the sky. Then they wouldn't have to worry about it hitting anybody.

I mean if they can't destroy a little satellite like this, what makes us think they can ever save us from an asteroid.

First, that would cost money, something we just don't have, unless we want to have it. In this case we don't.

Second. That one movie with Bruce Willis. You know the one. Morgan Freeman was president. Don't worry.

I think the private sector would take over a mission to destroy an asteroid though.
People would realize the severity of the issue and work together to formulate a plan.
Hopefully involving a rock melting laser and a couple hydrogen bombs.

As for just putting a rocket on it and moving it away from us, well that would make too much sense, unlike slamming a rocket into the Moon, which does.

You know the Chinese want to move asteroids into our orbit and mine them in the future?
I wonder how they plan to do that.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Frank Dinkle

I know. What I am saying is blow it up in the air on the way in. Another example is how would we stop a missle coming from another country if we can't stop this?

Unless the Gov wants more disaster.

It's not like we haven't has enough of them this year already.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Also, you should probably keep your chakra balanced. You know... for karma's sake.

This is an occasion where those tinfoil hats might actually come in handy.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by KingJod

If they shoot it while in orbit it will create a cloud of debris which will remain in orbit and endanger other satellites. This was done with a different satellite in 2008 but there was good reason to do so. That satellite was loaded with hydrazine fuel, a highly toxic material. Because of that, the chances of human casualty was calculated at between 1 in 45 and 1 in 25. Compare that to 1 in 3,200. Unacceptable.
spectrum.ieee.org...

If they were to try to wait until re-entry to avoid the problem of space debris they run into the same problem they have with predicting where the debris will impact. They don't know when or where it will re-enter. But let's say they have a couple of missiles strategically located to protect North America, ready to hit it before it breaks up. What happens when you hit something with a missile? Do you think it turns into fluffy bunnies?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by KingJod
reply to post by ignant

First, that would cost money, something we just don't have, unless we want to have it. In this case we don't.

Second. That one movie with Bruce Willis. You know the one. Morgan Freeman was president. Don't worry.

I think the private sector would take over a mission to destroy an asteroid though.
People would realize the severity of the issue and work together to formulate a plan.
Hopefully involving a rock melting laser and a couple hydrogen bombs.

As for just putting a rocket on it and moving it away from us, well that would make too much sense, unlike slamming a rocket into the Moon, which does.

You know the Chinese want to move asteroids into our orbit and mine them in the future?
I wonder how they plan to do that.

Morgan freeman was in Deep Impact. lol not with Bruce willis.

edit on 21-9-2011 by KingJod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

No , I know it doesn't turn into fluffy bunnies.

As of know the pieces that are going to hit the ground are supposedly the size of a city bus.

Wouldn't a few good missile shots make them dramatically smaller?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
reply to post by KingJod

No.

The largest piece will have a cross section of 0.928 square meters and weigh 158 kg. The other pieces are a lot smaller. Hit it with a missile and all bets are off, including the missile parts.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

The entire satellite would be the size of a city bus, would it not?
I've been trying to track down a schematic of some sort, but nothing has any dimensions on it. About the only thing I haven't tried is Googling "UARS dimensions"....

Now, bear with me a second. What if, instead of loading it with a nuke (as was suggested earlier), it was loaded with fluffy bunnies. Would that not make the use of a missile to shoot it down more plausible? Unless, of course, we as a people are suddenly opposed to the violent deaths of animals.

Also...reporting this whole UARS fiasco has been the only time when I've been able to say "you arse" to my mother and get away with it.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

It pretty well filled the cargo bay of Discovery so probably not a city bus, a short bus maybe.

Stuffed bunnies! Not live bunnies! You horrible person.

My mom would have never let me get away with a pun like that. Her standards were high.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   

One trajectory, for example, shows it passing over Texas and close to Chicago. Europe is very much in the line of fire, with multiple trajectories that pass over that land mass.

Posted 13 minutes ago via The Washington Post

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:31 AM
link   
reply to post by KingJod

As I said, it is not known where it will impact.
But it is known where it will not. I know it will not fall on me.
As the re-entry time is refined there will be more known places where it will not.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by KingJod

No one needs to worry!! FEMA is on the case!!

FEMA and UARS

Probably just another knee jerk, panic inducing measure though, nothing to see here

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
If they shoot it while in orbit it will create a cloud of debris which will remain in orbit and endanger other satellites. This was done with a different satellite in 2008 but there was good reason to do so. That satellite was loaded with hydrazine fuel, a highly toxic material. Because of that, the chances of human casualty was calculated at between 1 in 45 and 1 in 25. Compare that to 1 in 3,200. Unacceptable.

Oh so 1 in 25 is unacceptable but 1 in 3200 is acceptable. How do you figure that 1 in 3200 is an acceptable number?? It has a 1:3200 chance of injuring or killing someone! What the !%$@ is wrong with you? The technology easily exists to have sent this thing into the ocean, or at least adjusted it to a polar orbit crossing the oceans such that the risk would be vastly less than this, like 1:10 million.

It seems all people can think is "lol, it won't be me." That would be true even if the risk was 1:1. "The UARS satellite will kill 1 person on Friday." Your response: "LOL, 1 in 7 billion chance that person will be me, who cares." Great humanity there, kudos on your immense level of callousness and irresponsibility.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join