It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite (UARS) and it's gonna hit America.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
As some of you know the UARS also known as the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite will be coming down at the end of this week. All I have heard about it is that it should not hit main land. Well I find that hard to believe and this is why.

If you go to Satellite Tracking I have the link set up on the 5-DAY PREDICTIONS FOR UARS as it is going to fall down on earth this week. I checked each little box and it doesn't look good.

It looks like the satellite is going to fall anywhere from the midwest to the east coast. I know I heard on one of the media networks there is a 7,000 mile gap of where it might fall and they will not have an idea of where it might land until about 2 hours into it's decent back down.

My question is, Why are they not preparing people more for what may happen? and is it possible if it was going to land on such a heavily populated area that they could blow it out of the sky so to speak?

I am worried only because I live in the general area of where this thing might land.

Please I would love to hear thoughts on this.

Fox news story on UARS

USA today

Usa today shows that it's not going to hit us???

Only thing NASA has on their site.

edit on 20-9-2011 by KingJod because: Added links.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by KingJod

Because of the unpredictability of the situation, NASA will be performing updates to notify the public of their predicted place of impact. Or so i have heard.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   
The map you are looking at is centered at your location so you only see passes near your location.

It is not known exactly when the satellite will re-enter. Therefore it is not known where the satellite will re-enter. It could re-enter over North America. It could re-enter over the Pacific Ocean. It could re-enter over Asia. It could re-enter over the Atlantic Ocean. It could re-enter over Africa.

There are a lot more places than over you at which it might re-enter. Unless your karma is a mess there isn't much to worry about.

edit on 9/20/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Read recently where the chance of injury in North America was 1 : 32,000 and some folks believed that one out of every 32,000 Americans was going to die.

Video of it's re-entry will get 30 seconds of airtime on the MSM and that will almost certainly be the end of it.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
As Always thank you Phage. Phew, well hopefully I have nothing to worry about then.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

The casualty risk is 1 in 3,200.

That means that there is a 1 in 3,200 chance that one person, out of 6.7 billion people on Earth, will get hurt or killed. Another way to look at it is that if 3,200 satellites were re-entering at the same time, someone would get hurt.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hilarious! Thought it was 1:32K.

Now, if only I could find where I put my umbrella. You know...just in case. After all, someone out there has a .033% chance of getting bonked. Wouldn't want it to be me.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

you gotta love those statistics - I would like to see how they came to that number though

- thats more chance than being hit by lightning, a bus, or many other possibly fatal circumstances we face in life

I still remember when skylab crashed - part of it landed here in Australia - luckily it came to ground in the middle of the desert

You have to wonder about the intelligence of folks who send stuff into orbit without a plan or capacity to manage the inevitable re-entry once orbit has decayed

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hessling

Nope.
0.0000000000044643%
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Unless your karma is a mess there isn't much to worry about.

Uh - Oh. didn't need to hear that.

Question though - The satellite is projected to break into many pieces upon re-entry - will they all fall in the same general area? How widespread of a debris field do you think is possible?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

No one has been hit and a lot of stuff has fallen.
But they're working on it.

NASA, the USG, and some foreign space agencies now seek to limit human casualty risks from reentering space objects to less than 1 in 10,000.

www.nasa.gov...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Maluhia

The debris field will be a narrow swath about 500 km in length.
www.nasa.gov...

I should say it will fall along a path about 500 km in length. I don't want to give the impression there will be a 500km trail of debris. There will be 26 pieces of any significant risk.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Here's a (tongue in cheek) conspiracy theory for everyone: What if that top secret satellite that went missing a while back was actually arming this one with nuclear capabilities!?

It would be a good cover story- "Oops, we didn't know it would land there! It was completely random. Oh, and it's your fault it exploded..."

It would make a bad short story anyhow

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Planet teleX

Since there is no radioactive material on UARS it would be a little difficult to explain.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah, sorry I meant the X-37B Shuttle- not a satellite. (www.abovetopsecret.com...)

I seem to remember there was an undisclosed cargo section?

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   

The X-37B landed in December. It's not missing.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Whats wrong with you OP?

I hope this thing land in my backyard!!!!

*Loooook what I found*

I got my fingers crossed I can get a piece of this thing..

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

I was just joking about what it may have done during those two weeks it went missing (loading a nuke onto UARS). I don't even know if they were in the air at the same time- it wasn't a serious theory.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Sorry, I know.
I got carried away. But we do have no idea what that bird was up to.

posted on Sep, 21 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

As the 26 pieces enter the atmosphere and catch fire is it possible they could break apart and multiple more pieces will be dispersed?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join