It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

24 hours to save our oceans

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
If I could've been there as that guy hit the seal I would've ripped his face off with the same stick. This world is hell, and we're all going to die. Nature will take us over one day, and I hope the policy makers of our planet-who make it so hard for us to live a simple easy life get the forefront of what is to come...

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

Soo...you give citation to right wing material as proof of a entire organization uses terrorist mindsets to achieve their goals.

Instead of going into the logical debate point by point, lets take this at a different angle

What environmental organization do you support then? Tell me which organization is progressively trying to save oceans, woodlands, etc from corporate interests and overall destruction. Winning or losing a debate is pointless overall when the planet is being murdered...so, for people with your mindset, why not spend the energy your putting down giving alternative organizations names for people to back if they don't necessarily want to back greenpeace.

Cheers

SfX

yes, one link was blatantly right wing. One was also very far left. There own blog. I gave both sides. Are we not suppose to show both sides, especially when you find that both sides validate the same line of thought?

As far as which of those nut bags I support....Not one of them. I do what I know is right as far as conservation goes, but if my families life depends on cutting down a tree to make a fire and catching fish to cook on that fire, guess what I'm going to do.

The fact is, it is survival of the fittest and strongest. What is happening is the natural progression of nature and evolution. If the fish don't want to die, the better evolve into something that will survive.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
""Pacific Island Nations"" trying to save the oceans?

What a joke. They are trying.

Break out your magnifying glass and lets look at Palau. They said no fishing within 200 miles of them in their territorial waters.

They have NO means to enforce this. So massive foreign ships dredge the oceans with massive nets around them. The United States is bound by Treaty to protect them....but ahhh it's just fish and we can't afford to police their waters.

This is where it gets funny. 1 country gave Palau a little boat with a .50 caliber machine gun on it....and one day they were out and got lucky and encountered one of these massive fishing boats. What happened?

The massive fishing ship tried to run them over in the sea. There was nothing Palau could do. They did manage to capture 2 small boats that were with the bigger vessel....but they didn't get the big dog.

They can't afford fuel to even police their waters with that tiny boat.

Hence the oceans will be stripped of all living creatures by the nations able to put out their fishing armadas.

"The Pacific Island Nations" will all soon starve to death. There tiny islands too small to grow enough food...and the big boyz depleted the oceans of life for them to eat. The Pacific Island Nations are powerless.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I never trust Greenpeace or any of those organizations, for the same reason I avoid organized religion.

I mean sure nobody wants to destroy the earth, but what are you going to do? If signing an online petition to stop something actually worked, I'm sure this world would be a much different place.

The reality is there are people that want money, no matter the cost. Each country has their own practices of destroying the planet.

At the end of the day environmentalists don't really have any power at all, the PTB will continue to do what they wish, and all you can do is be angry at them, and if you try and forcefully change things you will be arrested and put in a rape cage.

I support the idea of wanting to "help save the planet" but at the day you are just eating up whatever someone in power is telling you that you want to hear, in exchange a % of the people participating in your "save the world fanclub" donate lots of money, even when it is free to participate. Which is the entire purpose of groups like Greenpeace ect.

You can make anybody follow you by saying what they want to hear, just watch Penn & Teller:B.S where they get people to sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide [water]

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sevensheeps

Thank you for sharing. May the Lord protect his waters. There has got to be a better way to fish or eat here?

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Great post.
We just pushed 26,000 and counting....
I especially like the part where you can add to the mail.......

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by sevensheeps
reply to post by Open2Truth

I voted for the Palestinian UN vote on Avaaz to, I really feel that people should vote more so their voices would be heard.

Picture this, what would happen if during an election 99% of the people showed up to vote.

Real change comes from within

Ridiculous. A vote during an election is not a "voice" being heard, it's giving full authority to a bunch of bureaucrats who who will do whatever their corporate partners want them to do for 4-5 years, at least. These days it's getting more like 8-10 years, and here in Canada parties can stay in power continuously for decades if they play the right cards.

When you get the chance to sit and vote on the UN Assembly, or the EU Council, or US Congress, come back here telling us about how it is to have a voice.

You wanna stop bottom thrawling? Then do like these folks did a few months ago on the high seas near Japan... sink those ships!

Greenpeace are big business activists who do nothing better than generating a lot of capital.
edit on 20/9/11 by Echtelion because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
Well if were killing the planet, the planet shouldn't have made us.No skin off my nose, Snip it, its all pointless anyway.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.
edit on 26/10/2011 by Sauron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
humans are the only people who kill for things other than food, (now i know the fish are eaten, but not by the fisherman, they do as much damage as they need to to get money.......

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by peanutman27
humans are the only people who kill for things other than food, (now i know the fish are eaten, but not by the fisherman, they do as much damage as they need to to get money.......

This culture has allowed us to diversify and become more efficient. Instead of spending our whole day growing crops, hunting, gathering, just trying to keep up on the bare essentials for ourselves, we let people specialize in one area and trade. It requires a hell of a lot less work for an efficient operation to catch 1,000 fish than it would for 1000 people to catch 1 fish.

In fact, we probably eat less animals per capita than older hunter/gatherer cultures due to our agriculture. I don't see people earning a living as a fisherman as being a bad thing, not at all. It allows me to peruse other interests, while still being able to eat fish and not having to spend my whole day gathering food to survive.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Echtelion

You don't have to attack me for just trying to help dude. I mean no harm or any bad intentions.

And about the voting, not voting is not helping at all.

And the part about elections and 99% of the people showing up for the vote is just an opinion.

Nothing more.

Relax (=

And the rest of you I just came back from work and it is overwhelming to see that so many of you are helping this vote.

Really touches my heart that is what it does!

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

A vote during an election is not a "voice" being heard, it's giving full authority to a bunch of bureaucrats who who will do whatever their corporate partners want them to do for 4-5 years, at least. These days it's getting more like 8-10 years, and here in Canada parties can stay in power continuously for decades if they play the right cards.

I know my friend.

But anyways, let's not take everything to serious right now and keep it on topic (=

Thank you.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
why can people see how destructive we are as a people? in the last 200 years everything has gone down. the rich get richer and the poor get poorer and the animals of our planet are dropping left and right. people are PARASITES.
our host is our MOTHER earth and we destroy it in almost every way possible.
we NEED to do something but we cant stand up to all the corporations or people will loose jobs. without those jobs theres no way to transport good so people starve. its a disgusting chain of effects that cant be broken because of our outrageous population.
Yeah, its a pretty messed up world but what can we as citizens do?
not much
if u really want to help do some research on the products you buy and see where they come from and estimate how many miles did it travel and if its "eco friendly"
or you can stop buying all together and knock 1 person out of the equation.
Honestly this is why i believe the worlds going to "end" soon because we cant keep going at the rate of consumption we are at now. as productivity goes up, employment goes down.
what happens when we have the technology to have machines do ALL the work for us? nobody would have to work because machines dont need lunch breaks or rest nor do you have to pay them.
they would work at 500% better effencency and make people seem obsolete.
but i doubt we will make it this far.
imo the world will end somtime this year or next, maybe 2013 but i really cant see us joining with the galactic federation of universes or whatever to save our butts.
wow now im ranting but my main point was we are destroyin our planet far beyond prepare and our world leaders are killing our children this way. it sounds harsh but its kinda true. we dont want change, we NEED change

help us jesus

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by EleNoN

yea it is pointless to bother, what can we do? nothing

our beloved "leaders" led us right into their snakehole and now screwd

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Carseller4

No this is not scare mongering, this is just an digital vote that just maybe, maybe can help on the day of the vote and yes Greenpeace probably is 100% honest about everything. But that does not stop me from helping in a way that you can do from your couch.

And if it helps, I am glad that I did it no matter what Greenpeace does, because it's about what you&I can do.

Right now, at this moment.

So if your not at sea ramming ships and are a student that has a part time job.

Vote okay, I do my work at home to try too do my part in it all.

I know how I will raise my kids in a environmentally friendly way, so they will do their part in it and teach it on.

Not only to them but to everyone else in my environment.

I am a art student and I also show it in my work.

So I do what I can cause this world is really important for me.

This is why>

edit on 20/9/11 by sevensheeps because: update

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I applaud your effort and passion but appealing to the UN is like...appealing to a stone deaf man using a quiet voice. Back in the 90's a young girl (I think she was like 12 or something) got up on stage at one of their conferences and had them in tears (along with many viewers at home!) with her poignant and heart-felt speech. Nothing changed. Well, maybe they have tissues on hand now, just in case.

I'm sorry to be cynical but this crap has been going on for years and I don't think half a million electronic signatures will help change anything any more. I'm sure doing nothing isn't the answer but...I just dunno anymore. Life spirals out of our control. (For the record I don't eat fish anymore either) Governments and their experts know whats best for us and they are the ones who in effect allow these practices. The law most clearly states "Ignorance is no excuse" and is supposedly for all people and corporations. All I can do is bang my head against my monitor in frustration. Voting changes nothing except a colour. Red, blue, green, yellow, money...

If you hadn't noticed, alternative (less tasty) fish is now in the supermarkets due to overfishing the other breeds. That was their magic solution to over-fishing last time.

I do applaud your efforts though and note they passed the half-million mark, which is what they were aiming for. Time will tell I guess.

Peace.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

It's not all man-made. It's the sun getting hotter surface and corona-and the CO2 holding in the heat . Since 1973, the brightness of the sun has increased too. Increased heating of the oceans gives decreased green plankton. Green plankton eat CO2. So, the less green plankton there is, the more CO2 there is. The huge oceans are the biggest dumps for CO2 gas. As an amateur astronomer ( and scientist ) , I think the sun is preparing to to be a nova( not a supernova ). The whole solar system is entering into a neighboring galactic cloud from which it will draw more matter to feed on. Thus changing itself to a different kind of star. So, the destruction of the ocean life is both man-made and galactic. The CO2 makes the oceans more acidic when it dissolves into the ocean water. This is making it possible for a new bacterium to thrive and infect all the fish in the earth's oceans. So, all the fish will be extinct without the help of Man , anyway. I think the increased number of flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs ) make a hotter star for the earth to orbit. Even if we cut back on CO2 Emissions , the earth is still going to get hotter and hotter, until both ice caps melt completely. This melting will take place only in the next few years-not in the next coming one-hundred years. There won't be any ice caps by 2014.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
May you all starve ... or worse, become vegans.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by siluriancryptic

CO2? A gas that is present in almost microscopic quantities? How do you arrive at that conclusion? Its just 0.03% of our atmosphere, last time I looked. I find it amazing how CO2 gets to play the bad guy role in the global warming thing. I am not a scientist.

PS Some scientists reckon that cow flatulence is more harmful, due to the number of cows present.
edit on 20/9/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: Added a PS

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
Nevermind.
edit on 20-9-2011 by OrchusGhule because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join