It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mysterious 'booming sounds' perplex scientists

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Heard them twice here in Colorado since 8/23, day of the much-reported quake last month (I think that was the day). That day, heard one @ 5am, I thought that someone was in my house, woke my husband because it sounded like such a loud slam or boom, coming from what I thought was downstairs. Shook my bedroom floor & bed for at least 5 seconds. Husband took a look, nothing, no one up. Turned on the news a few minutes later and it was all about the quake @ midnight. Last week, heard it again, this time immediately preceding a small swarm of lo-mag quakes in the same place, some 150 miles or so to the south of me on the CO/NM border. This time, it sounded like a loud gunshot, but set off all the car alarms on my street and shook glass jars of spaghetti sauce in my pantry. Tried to report it to the USGS, inquiring as to how such a small quake could possibly have that effect at my location, as no other quakes were reported. I was essentially told that if I felt the 4.0 two hours after the one I believe I felt, then that's probably what I felt, but if I hadn't (which I didn't), then that was probably not a quake, and USGS wouldn't turn on "Did you feel it?" for that quake. A minute or so prior to the loud bang and shaking, we saw a bright ball of white-blue light quickly appear and disappear in the sky just to the west of us. Figured it was "earthquake lightning."

So, I do not know what this is, but it isn't just NC and it seems to be either seismically related or it causes some sort of seismic activity by itself.

Would love to hear from other Coloradans to see if anyone else has felt it out this way

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by BIGPoJo

This has been offered as an explanation many times, rocket engine tests are indeed loud and they are booming, and yet, i would imagine, the people who may live near the testing area or indeed the 'baffled scientists' may have already thought of and eliminated that particular explanation, considering it would be one of the most obvious - it naturally follows that would be one of the initial sources to investigate.

And yet, the people hearing the sounds are unfamiliar with them, the scientists investigating or trying to ascertain their origin are still baffled as to that origin.

I think it's fairly safe to eliminate the 'rocket engine or jet engine testing' hypothesis now, and concentrate on sources the scientists and witnesses may not have considered as yet.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by spikey

You mean this? I know this has been posted before, but thought I'd throw
it out there again. Several locations with this set-up, I believe.

posted on Sep, 20 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I would say they are microsiesems, small earthquakes caused by the movement of waves and tides.

It could also be a cloaked mothership....

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by don rumsfeld
reply to post by spikey

You mean this? I know this has been posted before, but thought I'd throw
it out there again. Several locations with this set-up, I believe.

That doesn't explain how the Powhatan were hearing them before the arrival of European settlers.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by don rumsfeld

That could be the source.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

As RedGod said maybe some. I've been looking into this lately & shot my
big mouth off before I found out this has been going on for hundreds of
years at least.

posted on Sep, 23 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I have been hearing slot of that the last few hours. Im working at the oceanfront in vabeach, and the last few hours there have been alot of booming sounds I the sky. It's difficult to place a direction of origin. One minutes they seem to be coming from east (over the Atlantic) and the next minute they seem to be coming from somewhere west. It has been raining a lot tonight, but that's died down. It seems too rhythmic tO be thunder, and ive noticed no lightning to accompany it. I know there were tornado warnings in the area earlier, but this doesn't seem weather related. Best Comparison I can make is that it sounds a lot like the booms you get from large fireworks being fired, or a distant cannon report, but there are no fireworks/explosionsto coincide with it. Strange to say the least. Anyone else in VA beach or surrounding areas notice this tonight as well?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join