It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lasers could be used to detect roadside bombs

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
This could be a real game changer for all the IED placers.
If it works as advertised, then it would make it extremely difficult for the bad guys to put the "I" in "IED." The laser can be used to detect various molecules which seep off the explosive device due to poor packing, especially from the really crude/cheap home-made devices. Making explosive devices that don't seep out their "signature compound molecules" would require a very well equipped manufacturing facility, thus eliminating 99% of those "backyard" bomb factories.
Lets get this on the fast track to production for our men and women in the armed forces! It would be some of the best tax money ever spent!

The laser, which has comparable output to a simple presentation pointer, potentially has the sensitivity and selectivity to canvas large areas and detect improvised explosive devices – weapons that account for around 60 percent of coalition soldiers’ deaths. Marcos Dantus, chemistry professor and founder of BioPhotonic Solutions, led the team and has published the results in the current issue of Applied Physics Letters. The detection of IEDs in the field is extremely important and challenging because the environment introduces a large number of chemical compounds that mask the select few molecules that one is trying to detect, Dantus said. “Having molecular structure sensitivity is critical for identifying explosives and avoiding unnecessary evacuation of buildings and closing roads due to false alarms,” he said Since IEDs can be found in populated areas, the methods to detect these weapons must be nondestructive. They also must be able to distinguish explosives from vast arrays of similar compounds that can be found in urban environments. Dantus’ latest laser can make these distinctions even for quantities as small as a fraction of a billionth of a gram.

Link

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
This reminds me of the story where the military spent millions on a "lightning" device for roadside bombs, but it ended up selling on Ebay for $1000, after the military realized it was junk.
We shouldn't be there in the first place...why are we spending billions on junk, I'm assuming the governments wasted more money than just the millions for the "lightning" device. .

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by flyingfish

For every technology like this there is a negative aspect. You can be sure it is coming to a neighbourhood near you. And when it does it will be looking for what you are smoking.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Well I thought this is good news seeing how improvised explosive devices – weapons account for around 60 percent of coalition soldiers’ deaths.
This technology could really save lives and at the same time cause the Taliban to change their tactics and maybe come out and fight like real men.
If it works...

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

I heard about the lighting device, what a joke.
I think research in this area is well worth any money.
Dead soldiers or money? Hmm..

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by flyingfish
Well I thought this is good news seeing how improvised explosive devices – weapons account for around 60 percent of coalition soldiers’ deaths.
This technology could really save lives and at the same time cause the Taliban to change their tactics and maybe come out and fight like real men.
If it works...

guerrilla warfare is just as "manly" as standing army battlefield engagements.

why is a landmine or claymore any more acceptable than an IED? oh because your side is laying them.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

I don't smoke but thanks anyway.
Like I said it's worth a look.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by okamitengu

Our guys are not laying claymores in school yards or anywhere civilians might be.
The Taliban will even blow themselves up for attention.
It's apples and oranges.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
so can thermal imaging

any recent movement on the ground or digging will show up on any flir device

lasers are great already things to detect roadside bombs even cellular jammers to block detonation

are already available
edit on 19-9-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join