It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Gamers Crack Aids Enzyme

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by rigel4

I clicked around to figure out what this F@H was. Wiki gave me this "project designed to perform computationally intensive simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics, and to improve on the methods available to do so."

This is probably a stupid question, but is the program pretty much a "puzzle" where we try and figure out what is next in the sequence and while doing this the program collects the data attempting to find cures for genetic diseases?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to post by The X

Wonderful post. Insightful and sensitive, yet no-nonsense and down-to-earth.

Stephen Hawking is probably the most obvious choice for an example of someone who has shown us how technology can be shaped to 'meet the mind of Man' in spite of all obstacles. Long may such things continue.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
So, as I suspected
The cure to aids is
up, up, down, up, left, right, left, B, A, A, B, A+B, start

No..

A W S D - L Shift - R - F5 - Esc - Ctrl - RM - LM - Scroll etc...

Console players are not real Gamers
as I've posted in a related thread.

I've been a "Gamer" for years ever since PONG.

Yes, I'm that old.

After the service I even worked for a few years as a Beta Testerr for a large game software developer
if there is one thing I can honestly say about Gamers is that they are awesome at and known for [Thinking outside the box] while figuring out and deciphering puzzles, mazes and mysteries etc. This doesn't really surprise me.

S & F

Bring on the Trolls stereotyping Gamers...

You Will Be Pwned for free

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

So, as I suspected
The cure to aids is

No..

Yes, I'm that old.

After the service I even worked for a few years as a Beta Testerr for a large game software developer
if there is one thing I can honestly say about Gamers is that they are awesome at and known for [Thinking outside the box] while figuring out and deciphering puzzles, mazes and mysteries etc. This doesn't really surprise me.

S & F

Spot on............ I'm that old too. and consoles are like their users............

Simple architecture and low system memory!

Ha ha

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   
ok, cool

now let's abolish the federal reserve banking system...model that one my brothers and sisters!

and re-tool the military industrial complex into the ultimate healing the world machine...dropping seeds, reforesting the amazon and the entire world!

thank you

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImmortalThought
reply to post by rigel4

I clicked around to figure out what this F@H was. Wiki gave me this "project designed to perform computationally intensive simulations of protein folding and other molecular dynamics, and to improve on the methods available to do so."

This is probably a stupid question, but is the program pretty much a "puzzle" where we try and figure out what is next in the sequence and while doing this the program collects the data attempting to find cures for genetic diseases?

If i understand your question correctly. No it is not a puzzle for us, but one for your GPU, OR your CPU. it can be configured to run in the back ground or when you are nor using the PC. It is a program that runs distributed chunks of data from many Universities and research Institutes. You download it the app, and then sign up for
your the data slices of your choice. I provided a link in a previous post.

Hope that helps

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Why isn't this being moved into the hoax section?

We all know that no creativity, ingenuity, or invention ever comes without a economic profit motive.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

So, as I suspected
The cure to aids is

No..

Yes, I'm that old.

S & F

Ya..sort of
Console gamers are "casual gamers". but high end computer gamers are proper gamers..they are the ones that take the time to know the processing speed of their comp bits, the ones that are likely to tweak and mod a game to their liking, etc...and are also far better at pretty much any game (seriously how do people play FPSs without a mouse anyhow!)

I think some games specifically are gearing the minds towards rapid innovation., Deus Ex is a great example of this (just released) where they are really pushing through a basic understanding of some pretty heavy concepts in the guise of a game (nanotech buckyballs and such)...and good sci-fi is based pretty solidly in sci-theory.)

But ya, instead of the past, where people basically baked their brains in sitcoms after work, now they are puzzle solving, really engaging the brains for hours on end after the days end...weekends, holidays, etc..endless exercise

Either we are all going to develop our brains more, or all go nuts from generations of this.

I also like the fact that many mothers and fathers now can properly connect with their 20 somethings in games..something actually in common they both enjoy the hell out of..and soon it will be granddad, dad, and son teaming up on Black Ops 2040 or some such.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul
reply to post by Highlander64

im sure people will doubt me
but weve known the cure for aids for ages

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. What's yours?

ETA: I'm not suggesting the OP was bull hockey, not at all. I'm suggesting if your going to claim something like that, share your evidence.
edit on 19-9-2011 by SlightlyAbovePar because: See above

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   

In 2011 online gamers used Foldit to decipher the crystal structure of M-PMV retroviral protease, which is linked to an AIDS-like virus. Players produced an accurate 3D model of the enzyme in just ten days. The problem had thwarted scientists for a decade.[1][2][3]

en.wikipedia.org...

What do they mean AIDS-like?
I'm glad to see science and gaming blend. I had thought before that some of these abstract puzzle games could have real world problem solving application. It was cracked in ten days by a bunch of people having fun doing it, thinking critically with an interface, where scientists were still working on it after decades.

edit on 19-9-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by soficrow

and also, point out that the so-called misfolded proteins behind most modern diseases of civilization are actually prions.

Not true. Prions have to meet certain criteria (such as template-function and replicative dysfunction). A misfolded protein that is altered at the genetic level (which this one is) is not a prion.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

The old Console vs PC gamer rivalry where I worked was furious but respectful.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

To be truthful, AIDS is a hoax that is the result of people taking drugs and the result of the drug being passed on through sexual means.

In fact, there is no reason to take a drug to correct the drug's wrong. The is a cure, there are 100s of cures that have a range of effectiveness and it's alternative medicine that would be shunned by the modern day scientist and doctors who could have cheated to get their title.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Awesome!

To the astonishment of the scientists, the gamers produced an accurate model of the enzyme in just three weeks.

As a long-time gamer myself (Atari 2600 onwards...) I am not surprised to be honest - until recent gaming allowed many minds to work in a different way becoming more creative, logical and lateral thinking.

It's only recently that games are no different to the sludge on TV, churned out and offering nothing but dull experiences and visual effects overloaded with advertising/symbolism of some sort.

Shame this kind of thing doesn't happen as often as we need it to, people are more interested in waging wars.
edit on 19-9-2011 by old_god because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
This is pretty amazing, and it just goes to show that more difficult problems should be addressed in this manner. High-level academics, at least some of them, seem to have this complex that makes them think they are above anyone without a PhD, or rather that anyone below their level cannot grasp, let alone solve the problems that they work on daily.

The one quote in the article addresses one of the key points of utilizing techniques like this, and that is that there MUST be direction...The energy and intelligence of the gamers in this case was channeled into a narrow spectrum that allowed the problem to be solved, and I think the praise should go to them as well as those who perceived the idea, designed the program, and implemented it.

I know many people would jump on the chance to help solve difficult technical problems, even if they lack the necessary academic skills to even comprehend them, and that is where thinking outside of the box and developing online hubs that anyone can access and participate in will prove to be key.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Only a matter of time before you can get AIDS in WoW. But at least they'll be able to cure it....

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Maybe we can get them to help make sure Ron Paul wins the election.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
Proud to of played my part in this

Gamers unite!

Even though i believe the cure exists this is still good news.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I heard rumours that a wallhack and aimbot were used to figure it out. HAAAAAAAAAAAAX!!!!

But seriously, awesome work. And to think, most "normal" people are always telling us gamers that playing games amounts to nothing. Riiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I believe you. I've found the cure for cancer here on ATS and other web-sites. I've no doubt a natural and inexpensive cure for AIDS exists.

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join