It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Online Gamers Crack Aids Enzyme

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by FissionSurplus
reply to post by UniverSoul

Patent #5242820.

That patent is for a type of mycoplasma isolated FROM patients with HIV/AIDS.

Mycoplasma is not a virus, first of all. And how could that patent be for HIV if the actual product was isolated from someone who already had HIV?

Do you just post stuff to see if people will believe you without proof?

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
is this like the "folding@home" thing?
i used to dedicate my ps3 to enzyme research a couple years ago. did a lot of hours "work units".

i eventually stopped doing it after my first ps3 failed and i realized it was a waste of my resources

pretty lame that sony or folding@home cant offer some free content for your time and electricity.(old ps3 model used more power than 3 refrigerators)

if they just offered a free game or even a shirt or something...

folding.stanford.edu...
edit on 19-9-2011 by spaceg0at because: added link

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Highlander64

its funny, I was just watching This TED Video yesterday.

Had some pretty interesting things to say about using this generation of "hackers" to solve problems

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

or actually LOOK at all the MMO's with player fed economies. you harness that data and you can find out what affects the economy in the way you want it. as of right now we only have trial and error, but with an "economic game" you get trial after trial after trial.
if they can do in a short time what scientists have been struggling with for decades, why cant the same be said about politicians.

its one thing to be told how the economy works, its another to see all the tools and effects assosiated with an economy

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Highlander64

Originally posted by jonnywhite

My favorite quote is:
"It is believed to be the first time that gamers have resolved a long-standing scientific problem. "

Thank you for linking this. I saved it in my favorites.

edit on 18-9-2011 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

yeah me too

thats powerful - what else can they solve?

I am hoping the online gamers (aka my kids) can help solve the crisis of dirty dishes in my kitchen and how to place their dirty laundry in the laundry instead of all over the house

this would be a huge advancement for mankind

edit on 18-9-2011 by Highlander64 because: (no reason given)

Any one with a good graphics card or a play station 3 can help (xbox 360 cant handle it). Its just folding, its not like they solved any problems. Its program that creates a protein simulation. All the gamers do is hit a couple buttons and leave their computer alone for a couple hours. The people that created the program should be praised. I am sad that they waised all this time on aids though. We all know AIDS was created in a lab and that their are multiple cures that the government wont release.
folding.stanford.edu...
edit on 19-9-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
is this like the "folding@home" thing?
i used to dedicate my ps3 to enzyme research a couple years ago. did a lot of hours "work units".

i eventually stopped doing it after my first ps3 failed and i realized it was a waste of my resources

pretty lame that sony or folding@home cant offer some free content for your time and electricity.(old ps3 model used more power than 3 refrigerators)

if they just offered a free game or even a shirt or something...

folding.stanford.edu...
edit on 19-9-2011 by spaceg0at because: added link

Their are tons of folding competitions where you can make a ton of money and earn some cool prizes. At least for PC

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by UniverSoul

im sure people will doubt me
but weve known the cure for aids for ages

I'll bite!

so what is the cure?

-rrr

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
So, as I suspected
The cure to aids is
up, up, down, up, left, right, left, B, A, A, B, A+B, start

Anyhow, this is great news, but frankly, not suprising
Give the people the ability to fiddle with stuff and collectively we will accomplish what professionals simply cannot do.

Take modding...someone designs a game, allows a bit of modding, and within a matter of weeks the game is nearly rewritten and improved a hundred fold (at times)...give a bit more time and a strong community and they will bust through the original intent

Data is data, be it folding protein, or coding AI...collective projects by passionate (modders/gamers) can accomplish a hell of a lot more than a team of scientists..ok, thats a overstatement, but can complement quite nicely the scientists. unleash the tools, make it semi-fun, and voila..you got 100k people focusing in on a problem for 20 hours a week.

Sort of why I keep suggesting to inde developers to simply create the engine and the basics, let the modders create the world (see secondlife as a minor example)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Geez I wonder what level that was and what the Big Boss (pharma) was like to destroy!!!

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Great post; helped me to learn the general positive mindset of the gamer's/ computing whizz collective, as with many of the posts in this thread so far. I'm a curious outsider, as it were. If you gave me an XBox/ PS3 and a stack of games, I'd be addicted within a day so I don't bother..

Kudos to all who are involved in these sorts of projects.

Fly.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

I feel you on that my friend.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
The application used for folding and other worthy cause comes from Berkley university,

It is called boinc and can be used for such things like the op describes plus my favorite.

Seti@home

you get slices of data from seti and your computer analyses the data for extraterrestrial
radio/signals and returns it to seti.

Link to downloads boinc.berkeley.edu...
edit on 19-9-2011 by rigel4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
maybe they should design a game that models a balanced budget and turn em loose on that baby.

Cool story though

There is one, its called Supreme Ruler 2020 and its a pretty fun game but very time consuming.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Raivan31

lol true, We can crack anything

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
excellent stuff...

its amazing how the internet has allowed us 'normal folk' to use our collective to solve the worlds problems..

even ats is a good example.. ive seen many mysteries solved here even when credited scientists have no explanation..

Its time for ATS to create a version of this.I say have a poll and get the ball rolling.

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
There is already a folding team on ATS , but it has become dormant by the looks of it.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Venomilk

or actually LOOK at all the MMO's with player fed economies. you harness that data and you can find out what affects the economy in the way you want it. as of right now we only have trial and error, but with an "economic game" you get trial after trial after trial.

I have lurked here for about a year but don't think I have posted so I apologize if I'm linking this stuff wrong as I am unfamiliar..

EverQuest is not an economic game per say but being a MMORPG it does have an economy. Here is some information about a study done on its economy done back in 2002: "Based on a review of thousands of completed auctions for "EverQuest" items and in-game currency, Castronova concluded that players earn an average wage of $3.42 for every hour they play the game and collectively produce annual gross "exports" of more than $5 million.
And if the "EverQuest" universe of Norrath were a country, its per-capita gross national product would be $2,266--comparable to the 77th richest country on Earth and ranking it between Russia and Bulgaria. Platinum pieces, the in-game currency known as pp, end up with an exchange rate of about a penny per pp, making "EverQuest" currency more valuable than the Japanese yen and the Spanish peseta." Article: news.cnet.com...

Yes, people often laugh off online gaming, but as with anything else, a lot can be learned by studying them, and as with any group of like-minded individuals, a lot can be accomplished through their collective power.

Thanks for the link to this Foldit business, I was unaware it existed and it's nice to see something positive being achieved. Peace

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I really didn't need another excuse to waste time on Gears of War 3... thanks

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Would just like to add:

Another reason to protect the free and open Internet.

and also, point out that the so-called misfolded proteins behind most modern diseases of civilization are actually prions.

Excellent review. S&F&

(Sorry, missed this one when I posted my thread on this in Breaking News)

posted on Sep, 19 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HofmannsBicycle

Some people are more comfortable in their own homes where they dont have to interact with other people.
To get the best out of everyone maybe we should be looking at ways to unlock these skills in these people by providing them with the tools they need to be able to work to the best of their ability from their own environments.
I get annoyed at people who think that everyone has to play the game of life the way everyone else does, it isnt a one size fits all game though, some people myself included dont feel able to participate the way it is geared.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join