It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

55 Year Old Sets Himself on Fire Because of Debt

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   

55 Year Old Sets Himself on Fire Because of Debt

www.dailymail.co.uk

This is the terrifying moment a man set himself on fire outside a branch of Piraeus bank in the northern Greek city of Thessaloniki.

The unnamed 55-year-old was heard to shout out that he was in debt as he covered himself in petrol today.

According to police, this was the third attempt he had made to harm himself in such a way.

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk... m
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.reuters.com

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
Shoking pictures of a middle aged man attemting to kill himself by setting his body on fire in public right infront of the bank where his debt is. I think this guy has reached the dead end and has no other way to get out of his debt other than commiting suicide, a very sad and tragic situation facing Greeks. Grraphic images if you click the link.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Sorry for the insensitivity, but can you really blame him? Coming home from school the thought does cross my mind.
. Some times.
edit on 17-9-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

+12 more 
posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
He should have set the bank on fire not himself.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbread

This was his 3rd attempt.

Is he hoping his debt will be forgiven because he does this?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   
Honestly just don't pay your debts(thats my Aunt's solution anyway) .

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbread

Shoking pictures of a middle aged man attemting to kill himself by setting his body on fire in public right infront of the bank where his debt is. I think this guy has reached the dead end and has no other way to get out of his debt other than commiting suicide, a very sad and tragic situation facing Greeks. Grraphic images if you click the link.

facing greeks?

i think you underestimate the problem we have on our hands at the moment.

i cant imagine how many people now think about doing this everyday. we live in a society that meaures eveything in terms of money. a lot of people don't have any money now.

society is hanging on a cliff edge by a finger or two at this moment.

if this story shocks you, you have no idea how bad things are. we are currently in the midst of a suicide epidemic. some people are just letting go because they cant hold on any longer.

what do you think its going to be like when one of the economic supports falls down in europe or the U.S. ?

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by danwild6

I agree with your aunt...

got debts... don't pay 'em... period!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Maybe the images are deceiving, but in the 1st image the fuel bottle looks half empty as he pours it over himself, but the next image shows the bottle looking rather full

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
The Greek Bouazizi.

Guess he wants to provoke a "revolution" in Greece!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   
I don't know what to say about this man, I fine it honestly sad that he did this. Just don't pay it, as I was taught as long as I owe you, you'll never go broke!

Sad for this man, he was broke.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Almost two or three times a week i read about suicides and the main reason is money.They have driven Greeks to the edge with this crisis.

I was reading today how many people are unable to pay the electricity bill and the company is cutting it off.Poor ,sick,unemployed.Children doing their homework under the light of the candle.They even cut the electicity on a disabled war veteran.

Truly shocking is the case of an elderly who lived in an old house in the center of Heraklion. The crew cut the power, as ordered. Before they leave leave they saw the occupant of the house coming from the the old house.

"Then we realized that he had one foot. We didn't not know. He shouted with all his might: " I gave my foot for my country. And now comes the Greece and cut the power. " I will not forget this man as long as i live. Frankly I was ashamed. But we could not do otherwise because we would have penalties. "

Link in Greek

The man who set himself on fire,got the attention for so many cases that stay in the dark and the situation a big percentage of the Greek population is in.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Why was everyone hanging arround waiting for him to light himself before thy ran in with their extinguishers? Surely as soon as the petrol was pouring they should have jumped in and hit him with the extinguishers? (I don't mean literally lol) Some things seem to make little sence to me.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:40 AM
link   
First the scum let them get this deep into debt by giving them loans by hand and shovel, then it's all their fault because they're suicidal, greedy and crazy!

Lets see what happens in Italy and Spain, then France and England.

The PTB already have a name for them: FERAL UNDERCLASS!

And the uniformed underclass is ready to mow them down...

We'll see this soon unloving on the streets of Europe as well as elsewhere.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   

This is such a sad story, it just shows the massive affect of money, its only papers and numbers. And without it you can starve. It's just soo bad how people can take there own lives over it.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
RIP old man .Rest in peace.may the great spirits give the fella a better afterlife.

Death to banks and the banksters!!! Death to Rothschild and his minions!!

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by zerozero00
Maybe the images are deceiving, but in the 1st image the fuel bottle looks half empty as he pours it over himself, but the next image shows the bottle looking rather full

You're dead right there. The next two images it looks full!

Originally posted by ludwigvonmises003
RIP old man .Rest in peace.may the great spirits give the fella a better afterlife.

He didn't die. Just suffered non life threatening burns to his chest.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:18 AM
link   
A hundred fortunes won and lost since the great depression. The trouble is people become rigid or less flexible as we age. It is easier to weather bad economic times when you are young. You have never had anything so you don't know what it is like to give up an identity of wealth or success. Also, there can be tremendous guilt and suffering if you have children depending on you for food clothing and shelter and suddenly you are unable to provide.

A reminder bad times come and go just like good times. This too shall pass.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Leo Strauss
A hundred fortunes won and lost since the great depression. The trouble is people become rigid or less flexible as we age. It is easier to weather bad economic times when you are young. You have never had anything so you don't know what it is like to give up an identity of wealth or success. Also, there can be tremendous guilt and suffering if you have children depending on you for food clothing and shelter and suddenly you are unable to provide.

A reminder bad times come and go just like good times. This too shall pass.

Yuh, seriously. I don't have kids but I don't have to provide for them.. It's just my duty too. By the time she leaves, she''ll be able to enlist in the military.

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
The amount money that the gov'ts and central banks have given to all these too big to fails...
well, I kind of think that we have probably paid for all the debt in the world.......
this guy shouldn't owe anything, since it's gonna be the taxpayers that will be paying out the arse for the next few generations for the bailouts of these banks!!

There's something horribly wrong with the societies, when they allow this crap to happen! support it even!!!

if preventing those "too big to fails" means devouring the little people, well, I am sorry too bigs....but you should fail!!! the people should be more important, the gov'ts, the too big to fail banks, the economies, well, they are just tools set up to SERVE THE PEOPLE. if they are not serving, and harming the people instead, well, they are like a bad tool in your tool box, and you go find a replacement for it, and throw out the crap!!!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join