It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur feathers found preserved in amber

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I think it was higher oxygen levels that made dinosaurs bigger, not gravity.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by marsbeatsmoon
I think it was higher oxygen levels that made dinosaurs bigger, not gravity.

then is it possible humans once might have been giants?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I read an interesting book (sorry, forgot the name) a few years back that suggested the first animals to fly actually happened accidentally. The protofeathers were probably initially for mating ritual, display against other males, heat retention, etc. until one fell off a cliff and the inherent physics glided it down. Maybe to a new food or water source. This one then taught it's offspring or other members of the colony the new trick and evolution took care of the rest. Birds and other animals do learn new techniques (google or youtube this...the evidence is overwhelming) by watching their own.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by camouflaged

I hope not. I kind of like the idea that for millions of years dinosaurs owned this strange rock on their own.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Does hair contain DNA?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Lets hope with more of this information discovered, that the Myth that Dinosaurs were Reptiles, can be put to rest once and for all.
Crocodiles and lizards are not Dinosuars!!.

Lets hope we can stop insulting "Lacerta" and her people and refer to them correctly as Saurans or Sauroids.
They are Not REPTILES!!!!

It is just as logical to believe that Dinosaurs evolved into biped Intelligent creatures over 100 million years, as it is to think that biped Humans evolved over 30 million years, or however long complex mammals have been around.

Im betting that ALL the famous dinosaurs we know of, were not the drab gray or brown depicted over the last 100 years, but highly colourful, decorated, camoflaged creatures as diverse as our current birds.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Link to that book
Natural Selection

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by gort51

thought you might enjoy this...
6 reasons for animal coloration

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
We know that creatures were so big back then because the Earths gravity was lower.

That's not correct. There are a number of reasons why they probably grew so big, but gravity on Earth has always been the same. Part of why they were so big is probably because there was just a much greater total biomass in the world at the time. The amount of plant life in the world was pretty superabundant compared to what it is today, which meant more food for plant eaters, which became food for meat eaters, etc. There is no real reason today that animals can't get as big as biggest dinos, except that there probably isn't the food to sustain them. We do have animals as large as some pretty big dinos, though. elephants were about the same size as the triceratops. A giraffe is as big as a good sized dino, as is a rhinoceros. And lets us not forget that the blue whale is the largest animal to ever exist on Earth that we know of, and they exist now. No sea dinosaur ever grew so huge.

Originally posted by Sed Non Credo
Does hair contain DNA?

Yes, it is made up of dead cells and hair is often used for DNA in forensic testing.
edit on 9/16/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
so wheres some of the creationist's responses to this?

how long does it take to make up some false statements to try and explain this away?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
So Jurassic Park is scientifically possible after all? Well looks like Crichton is right

Well, If we can find a sample of DNA good enough, I suppose it would be possible to clone then, using the aid of another animal.
edit on 16-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Yep. They can already strip away some of the chicken dna and it has produced chickens with longer tails and chicken with teeth. Seems like they could strip it away and insert dna from this and maybe make something work.

www.dailymail.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
I used to collect fossils as a kid and findings like this always makes me wish I didn't give my collection away.
Thanks for the info OP, I love the pics.

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
so wheres some of the creationist's responses to this?

how long does it take to make up some false statements to try and explain this away?

Shhh, don't tempt them.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Hey nice find that's pretty cool, I like the idea that we're walking around with the descendants of dinosaurs all over the place. It would make sense too, that not all the dinosaurs died in their extinction level event, maybe around 95% killed? With small pockets of survivors scattered all around the world.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Finding out raptors had feathers was one of my greatest disappointments in life.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   
What if we just toss evolution into the round file? Let it go. If you do that then dinosaurs can be whatever they were without us explaining it all away. I would think that a reaalllyy good archeologist would find his/her fossils, amber,etc and then say ok it was here, what did it need? What does the evidence say? I sorta think that dinosaurs probably came in all sorts of colors. that some had feathers (which does not mean they flew), that some had fur, that maybe bone grew outside or through the hide, that they had the defense of camoflauge (like cameleons) , and they had crazy eyes and magentic detectors and all sorts of stuff. Maybe they had poisonus skin? Maybe they had poisinous spit? Maybe they screamed at a level that made a T-Rex run? Maybe they had a frontal lobe that stored an electrical energy they could pulse? WE have the bones........imagination could take us the rest of the way. Just a thought.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
i'm a creationist and i have no problem with this whatsoever. i think it's cool. i'm not a proponent of macro evolution but i do agree that the earth is very old and had other lifeforms and other civilizations on it, before homo sapiens arrived on the scene.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Lets hope with more of this information discovered, that the Myth that Dinosaurs were Reptiles, can be put to rest once and for all.

Dinosaurs were reptiles but they weren't lizards. Lizards feet face east/west and Dinosaurs feet faced forward which gave them greater mobility (to migrate as certain birds do today) and of course, agility for hunting and fleeing other predators. Common reptiles of today (lizards) can not migrate which is why they mostly live in temperate areas. Dinosaurs covered a great portion of the globe, but that does not mean they were warm blooded.

IRM

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by LifeInDeath

Originally posted by woogleuk
We know that creatures were so big back then because the Earths gravity was lower.

That's not correct. There are a number of reasons why they probably grew so big, but gravity on Earth has always been the same. Part of why they were so big is probably because there was just a much greater total biomass in the world at the time. The amount of plant life in the world was pretty superabundant compared to what it is today, which meant more food for plant eaters, which became food for meat eaters, etc. There is no real reason today that animals can't get as big as biggest dinos, except that there probably isn't the food to sustain them. We do have animals as large as some pretty big dinos, though. elephants were about the same size as the triceratops. A giraffe is as big as a good sized dino, as is a rhinoceros. And lets us not forget that the blue whale is the largest animal to ever exist on Earth that we know of, and they exist now. No sea dinosaur ever grew so huge.

Originally posted by Sed Non Credo

Does hair contain DNA?

Yes, it is made up of dead cells and hair is often used for DNA in forensic testing.
edit on 9/16/2011 by LifeInDeath because: (no reason given)

dinos could not live on the surface of the planet today , i suggest you read this thread specifically what Catastrophist Ted Holden has to say. elephants are about the biggest land animal possible today.Teds math says in order for dinos to live on land the atmosphere would need to be 2/3 the density of water to support their giant weight . and whales get so big cause the water supports their weight, on land they die.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Another_Nut because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
So Jurassic Park is scientifically possible after all? Well looks like Crichton is right

Well, If we can find a sample of DNA good enough, I suppose it would be possible to clone then, using the aid of another animal.
edit on 16-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

Both hair roots and feathers contain DNA. If the DNA preserved in the amber has not degraded to the point of uselessness, it could be possible to clone them. Bringing back some of these animals to life would be very risky for us. Dinosaurs were successful for 165 million years for a reason.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join