It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dinosaur feathers found preserved in amber

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

but that does not mean they were warm blooded.

Over time more scientists are starting to believe they were warm blooded. In one recent study conducted only two years ago, researchers analyzed how much muscle mass the dinosaurs had using anatomical principals. They also studied how these animals would have moved.

If walking and running burned more energy than a cold-blooded physiology can supply, these dinosaurs were probably warm-blooded.

They concluded that dinosaurs were warm blooded or endothermic:

based on the energy they consumed when moving, many dinosaurs were probably endothermic, athletic animals because their energy requirements during walking and running were too high for cold-blooded animals to produce.

Even more surprising is that they also concluded that dinosaurs were warm blooded almost from the beginning which contributed to their evolutionary success.

Source

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Nicolas Flamel

Very interesting study! Cheers!

IRM

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I wonder what else amber has preserved which we haven't yet discovered..

...this is a great find!

Star & Flag

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
nice find, but all the evolution crap is just nonsense, you have to have more faith than a creationist to believe in evolution in its entirity.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
I have had ostrich burger before, very good. Let's clone them and then we can have dino-burgers........Bacon Cheese Raptor....hmmmm.

Anyone up for being the guy in Jerassic Park, the big game hunter.....LOL

I can see it now....".Raptor populations getting kind of out of control, 5 Tags per hunter....if you survive"
At least it would make a pretty good argument for a whole new class of firearms....dinoguns......60 cal and up....

Anyone defeather a chicken, how about a T-Rex......

Ok weird comical dino clone ramble over.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

japan is (or was before being rocked with that earthquake) working on cloning the mammoth...

news.discovery.com...

so...entirely possible...

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

The four wings look terribly awkward. It's so cool how things can be preserved for later generations. This is very cooll, makes me thing of Jurassic Park

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Try watch the new BBC documentary about dinosours they say that without doubt they are the birds of the past and that when you look in your garden you are looking at modern dinosour relations other wise known to us as birds.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWorldSpins

The four wings look terribly awkward. It's so cool how things can be preserved for later generations. This is very cooll, makes me thing of Jurassic Park

They think this four winged animal glided rather than flew, much like the Flying squirrel

But having full flight would be more advantageous, so it was a dead end. There are however flightless birds with two wings and two legs that are successful, e.g. ostriches, emu, cassowaries and penguins.

Flightless birds

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by restlessbrainsyndrome

japan is (or was before being rocked with that earthquake) working on cloning the mammoth...

news.discovery.com...

so...entirely possible...

Even stranger, some scientists, rightly or wrongly, are "activating" dormant dinosaur genes in living birds like chickens. They got them to grow teeth for example:

They say these animals will be destroyed while still embryos.

One Link

This just adds more proof for the relationship between dinosaurs and birds.
edit on 16-9-2011 by Nicolas Flamel because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Yeah, I think it would certainly be a glider.

I don't know if it's right or wrong for scientist to do that to chickens, not my say. I think it's cool though that it's possible.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
www.merriam-webster.com...
First let us define;

Dinosaur : any of a group (Dinosauria) of extinct often very large chiefly terrestrial carnivorous or herbivorous reptiles of the Mesozoic era

By definition the title is misleading and wrong as reptiles have never had feathers and interpretations of fossils are just that as dead bones prove nothing except the fact that an organism lived and died.

No one can prove that from any set of fossilized bones that they are different from their parent and whether or not the organism was worth of procreation.

Now let us look at the religion within the article that is taken as fact by the evolutionist with out question.
Here is blind faith

feathers known as protofeathers....... likely........ belonged to theropods

Some paleontologists are saying the protofeathers........... may have been............. used to keep the animals warm. This..............could............ prove feathers evolved first for protection and flight evolved later.

The previous statement is the wonder child of the evolutionist as since they said it here it is proof.

noticed that some of the feathers resemble those found on modern birds, complete with barbs sporting tiny Velcro-like hooks that lock onto adjacent barbs to create a sturdy flight surface. Some of these fragments likely came from a flight-capable bird.

Little is given to the idea that this is a extinct bird created from the beginning as a bird.

Reptiles and birds are completely different in every way.

Cold blooded---warm blooded. Scales----feathers solid bones----hollow bones,

heart rates. ect. ect.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
Bringing back some of these animals to life would be very risky for us. Dinosaurs were successful for 165 million years for a reason.
Yeah, because there wasn't anyone around with our modern day weapons, lol. How would it be risky today?

"Omg, here comes a dinosaur, what do I do?"

"Shoot it?"

"Oh yeah." BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM
edit on 16-9-2011 by Hydroman because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by ACTS 2:38
The previous statement is the wonder child of the evolutionist as since they said it here it is proof.

Reptiles and birds are completely different in every way.

Cold blooded---warm blooded. Scales----feathers solid bones----hollow bones,

heart rates. ect. ect.

Perhaps some dinos weren't reptilian?

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Even stranger, some scientists, rightly or wrongly, are "activating" dormant dinosaur genes in living birds like chickens. They got them to grow teeth for example:

The genes of T-Rex are still locked in the chicken.
It shouldn't be that surprising that chickens contain dinosaur traits in their DNA because chickens, like all the other birds, are dinosaurs.
Primitive traits turned off in the DNA of all living things is a powerful piece of evidence for evolution. We wouldn't have the occasional human born with a tail unless the sequence for growing a tail were already there, the same could be said for the snakes which are sometimes born with legs, or the birds which are sometimes born with hands.
It's the switches that need to be worked out to create Jurassic park.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by gort51
Lets hope with more of this information discovered, that the Myth that Dinosaurs were Reptiles, can be put to rest once and for all.
Crocodiles and lizards are not Dinosuars!!.

I guess I may have to make a new thread about this since this one is misconstruing the last 100 years of paleontology by allowing complete misinformation to be spread.

Theropods were not feather covered creatures, although a few of them did have a little bit of feathers in a few areas of their bodies! This has been known for years.

Does anyone ever do any research??

I will explain exactly how you guys are wrong AND supply evidence to debunk. It took me all of 5minutes of research to blow this out of the water.

Masiakasaurus is the perfect example of why this is all taken out of context.
wiki link

Masiakasaurus was a small predatory theropod dinosaur from the Late Cretaceous of Madagascar. It was named in 2001 by Scott D. Sampson, Matthew Carrano, and Catherine A. Forster. Unlike most theropods, the front teeth of Masiakasaurus projected forward instead of straight down. This unique dentition suggests that Masiakasaurus had a specialized diet, perhaps including fish and other small prey. Other bones of the skeleton indicate that Masiakasaurus was bipedal, with much shorter forelimbs than hindlimbs. Masiakasaurus had an estimated adult body length of around 2 meters (about 6–7 feet).

Although this skeleton is from Madagascar and the amber in the OP is from Canada, my point will be shown to stand extraordinarily well regardless.

Unlike the skulls of abelisaurids, which are very deep, the skull of Masiakasaurus is long and low. The lacrimal and postorbital bones around the eye are textured with bumpy projections. Not including the highly modified jaws and teeth, the skull of Masiakasaurus possesses many general ceratosaurian characteristics. Overall, its morphology is intermediate between abelisaurids and more basal ceratosaurs.

The neck is relatively narrow in comparison to abelisaurids. While many theropods have s-shaped necks, the back of the neck of Masiakasaurus is positioned almost horizontally, giving it a slighter curve. Like those of other abelisauroids, the vertebrae are heavily pneumaticized, or hollowed, and have relatively short neural spines. Pneumaticity is limited to the neck and foremost back vertebrae, however. Pneumatic cavities are also present in the braincase.

What is an Abelisaurid??
Wiki link

Abelisauridae (meaning "Abel's lizards") is a family (or clade) of ceratosaurian theropod dinosaurs.

Oh it's a ceratosaur AND a theropod? A Transitional dinosaur specimen you say?
What's a ceratosaur Muzzle??
wiki link

Ceratosaurs are members of a group of theropod dinosaurs defined as all theropods sharing a more recent common ancestry with Ceratosaurus than with birds.

Doh! Only Some theropods can be classified as transitional between dinosaurs (lizard-like) ceratosaurs (lizard and bird like) !

By the way, masiakasaurus, the transitional specimen I have presented to you, did have feathers but only in a small area around the top of the head and on the back of it's neck. Almost all renditions of it show this. Although not all, but it reflects the understanding that paleontologists have of dinosaurs these days.

Why the heck can't anyone do any research? It totally destroys this nonfactual and misconstrued claim that all dinosaurs were feather covered and bird like it's totally not the case.

Please people, just look these things up, that's all I am asking. This information has been known for a very long time, but no one studies it or knows much about it at all.
edit on 16-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

***assuming dna survived.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by ACTS 2:38

By definition the title is misleading and wrong as reptiles have never had feathers

The defination of dinosaurs as being reptiles is being over turned by recent data.
Bones have tiny holes .. known as the 'nutrient foramen'. .on the shaft that supply blood to living bone cells inside. New research has shown that the size of those holes is related to the maximum rate that a animal can be active during exercise. Holes found in mammals were about 10 times larger than those in reptiles.

"The dinosaurs appeared to be even more active than the mammals. We certainly didn't expect to see that. These results provide additional weight to theories that dinosaurs were warm-blooded and highly active creatures, rather than cold-blooded and sluggish."
Link

No one can prove that from any set of fossilized bones that they are different from their parent and whether or not the organism was worth of procreation.

Is this a joke? If this were true all creatures would simply be clones and evolution would not exist.
I suppose evolution not being true would support your delusions.
The data is out there do your research and deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by camouflaged

Originally posted by marsbeatsmoon
I think it was higher oxygen levels that made dinosaurs bigger, not gravity.

then is it possible humans once might have been giants?

yes.

posted on Sep, 16 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
I've made many a remark here on ATS that dinos are not extinct, usually I'm just ignored as a heated evo-vs creationist debate is going on.

Anyway feathers are multifuntional, like skin or hair. Feathers can keep you warm or cool you down, they can make you hard to see or make your irresistable to the ladies, they can say "back off" to a rival or predator...oh... and can lead to flight (but not the only option, see bugs, bats, Pterosaurs).

Take your pick of one or "all of the above".

Anyway its a very cool find.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join