It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

its getting serious

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I just had a look at
earthquake.usgs.gov...

and was not to happy to see these three earthquakes in less than one hour and in different parts of the world.

MAP 6.0 2011/09/15 08:43:08 19.574 -78.022 10.0 CUBA REGION
MAP 6.2 2011/09/15 08:00:07 36.289 141.308 10.0 NEAR THE EAST COAST OF HONSHU, JAPAN
MAP 6.0 2011/09/15 07:53:12 -35.430 -177.878 13.4 EAST OF THE NORTH ISLAND, NEW ZEALAND

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by notsosunny

from what were seeing it looks like people might be right
wheres the big one gunna be?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
these happen every few days...

6.0's are everywhere and anything under 6.2 isn't really worth worrying about

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:40 AM
link   
Continue this thread here already in progress

www.abovetopsecret.com...

and info about this being the 188 day here

Thankyou
edit on 4/5/2011 by dreamfox1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Today (September 15, 2011) is exactly 188 days after the last major earthquake which was the Japan EQ. Another poster here on ATS said this would happen today per the 188 day formula. Creepy!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Why the heck are you all not using this forum?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Three sixes all over this soon? Very interesting indeed!

This quake thing has been getting really weird lately. I won't call it unnatural but I will state it is clearly somewhat anomalous.

I will share a link to a thread I created discussing the bizarre Eq swarm in West Texas which is extremely rare because it's in a zone that USGS charts show has the lowest possible incidence probability compared with all other areas their maps show. There was 9 notable quakes in West Texas this week. There are many theories but very few answers or solid explanations. The fault line that exists somewhere nearby has been claimed to be inactive for thousands of years.
The West TX eq thread

Also there was a notable quake (yesterday I think?) in urban area Birmingham Alabama. Seriously Alabama?? Never heard of eq's there in this manner either.

Then add in all the other odd recent quake activity throughout half a dozen states which rarely ever experience them, Colorado, Virginia, New Mexico, Ohio, Maine, etc.

And I am just talking about the USA here, I haven't had enough time to look over other foreign national regions.

Look, I'll say it straight up, I have no idea what's going on here. But it's odd. And 3 mag 6 quakes within an hour in 3 totally separate places globally , Cuba, NZ, and Japan is really weird.

BTW a 4.4 just happened near Greece a min ago.
Link to Crete 4.4 quake

I usually am really reserved about stuff like this and will bite my tongue but this is indeed getting really strange.

I will admit I have privately had a deep foreboding about EQs in particular and have been compulsively checking the USGS site like 100 times a day at least.

Why do I keep looking ? Because my intuition keeps pushing me there.
My intuition rarely fails me, so I follow it.

The odds something bigger may coalesce seems reasonable and so I am looking for more information or clues that may help me find answers to my questions.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by buskey

A 259 page thread?

No thanks.

It's like reading a 259 page novel where each page has 10 authors. Talk about extreme difficulty.

I admit I do check the last few pages sometimes in large threads like that, but I cringe at the sight of something so messy and unorganized.

I prefer small new threads 99% of the time, information is spread much further and wider and conversations become much easier to carry.

Typically I wont even post in my own threads that I make after about 10 pages. It just becomes untenable to keep up especially considering the 100s of other awesome ATS threads I'd like to read today.

Sure, if the day was 300 hours long and humans average lifespan was 1000years, I'd read every thread on ATS in it's fullest and do side research along with each of them.

But I gotta pick my battles more wisely, life is short.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by buskey
Why the heck are you all not using this forum?

Sadly most dont even know its there.

look at me i just found out because of you

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
these happen every few days...

6.0's are everywhere and anything under 6.2 isn't really worth worrying about

I disagree. A 6.0 can level a city positioned on the wrong type of terrain and with lax building standards.

Do you think any cities in West Texas are built to withstand even a 5.0? Nope, they are not. Why? Because they rarely happen there. Ultra-rarely.

That 4.4 the other day was within 150 miles of over a million citizens of this nation. How many people have vulnerable gas lines etc? Gas line ruptures in quakes can cause massive damage if not dealt with correctly.

If a 6.0 hit there, you can bet that there would be very noticeable destruction, possibly even dozens or even hundreds of deaths from being caught inside weak structures during the event. A 6.0 in West Texas has the potential to be a true catastrophe.

When a 6.0 hits somewhere like Seattle Wa or LA Cali or anywhere Japan, it's not really a big deal at all. They prepare for it all the time, their building codes are way better, people run drills, they know what to do.

West Texans wouldn't have a clue. All we ever had drills for out there were Tornadoes. At least from the general population's standpoint.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
haha, 3.4 LA

maybe you're right

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I agree a 200+ page thread is very difficult to follow and contribute to. I am uncertain if the quakes we are seeing are that much out of the ordinary. Albeit the Alabama quake is a bit odd. Is there really a greater frequency of earth quakes recently. Are the magnitudes increasing as well? Seems I always have a question. Sorry, I am just attempting to ramp up on all the new information that is swiftly coming at me and maybe the rest of the world to?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
There are approximately 6,000 earthquakes a year greater than 4.0. Looks like there's been seven more.so far today.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers
haha, 3.4 LA

maybe you're right

Wow your right.

Within about 2 hours, that's three 6+ mag quakes, a 4.4 in Crete, and this quake in LA.

USGS confirms this information.

Thanks for the heads up folks. This is pretty intense!

newest LA quake link

Plus there was that 4.1 or so earlier today on the other side of town (LA). Very compelling set of events.
edit on 15-9-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
earthquake.usgs.gov...

2.5 in haiti

and so it begins

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif
There are approximately 6,000 earthquakes a year greater than 4.0. Looks like there's been seven more.so far today.

How many of those happen in West Texas?

Oh? Did you say none?

Thanks for dismissing the obvious.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
Hey, I wonder... Can someone explain what this page is showing???

Live Seismic Server Displays - World Wide

It seemed to get everyone's attention the other day when a drum in Pasadena was showing a constant low level of activity. Is it normal to see the jittering at this level from stations all over the world?? I realize a few of those just look downright stupid, as in someone must have bumped the equipment or something...but ALL of them have the same low level nonstop shaking like that California one was showing. Normal? or Odd?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by barneyuk

I don't see the Haiti one. Odd.

Did they take it down?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by applebaum
I agree a 200+ page thread is very difficult to follow and contribute to. I am uncertain if the quakes we are seeing are that much out of the ordinary. Albeit the Alabama quake is a bit odd. Is there really a greater frequency of earth quakes recently. Are the magnitudes increasing as well? Seems I always have a question. Sorry, I am just attempting to ramp up on all the new information that is swiftly coming at me and maybe the rest of the world to?

There are no historical records I have found yet of anything near a 4.4 happening in Snyder Texas like this week. I have dug through the USGS history of quakes for Texas and they are all located far to the north, south, east, and west historically.

If anyone can find evidence of something this size in that location (4.4) than I will retract my claims but I seriously doubt you will find it. I have dug deep and found nothing.

It's unprecedented in modern times. It's historical and relevant and important.

The Balcones fault region has supposedly been inactive for 15 Million years!!!

The Balcones Fault zone was most recently active about 15 million years ago during the Miocene epoch.

Link to resource

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by bg_socalif

Also, if I divide 6000 by 7, that leaves me over 800. But there are only 365 days in a year.

Are you saying that we are having a lower than average quake incidence by a factor of 3 times less than normal?

Can you supply references that corroborate your claim that 6000 quakes over 4.0 happen per year?

That would equate to roughly over 20 quakes a day all year long.

Edit: Odd I found this USGS page

It says there are an estimated 13,000 4.0-4.9 quakes per year.

That's 35.6 quakes a day. Wow, if that's true we are indeed in a low activity period here the last few weeks it appears? Maybe someone can clarify this conundrum?

35 / 7 = 5
So we are at 1/5th the average ?

If this is true that we are well below the average incidence rates, does this possibly indicate a build-up of seismic pressures or something of this nature? If that is the case, I would have to say it doesn't look good actually, it looks strange because that means there is a build up of pressure that isn't being released...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join