It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to handle this bad situation :@ im furious

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Hello, recently i caught a infection called candida, which is a STI i caught off my girlfriend, eg Vaginal Thrush.

It has infected my mouth and esophagus, as a result i was off work, i didnt say the exact reason i just said i had a throat infection.

I came back to work today to find out off a colleague that my employer has asked facebook for my login and password, which has been provided as they were suspicious of my absence and have looked at personal messages on Facebook, which apparently they are authorized to do :@

I have 1 personal friend on facebook who i told via private chat about the sti, i never made it public or posted it on my wall.

My employer has read my private message and informed my line manager, this is where i got pissed off, my line manager has pretty much told my entire office, im not if she did on purpose or was just talking too loud and someone overheard, but now my entire office knows i have a STI, which is a very very personal issue, not only am i highly embarrassed, i am furious and all my confidence in my manager has gone.

What steps should i take next?
edit on 14-9-2011 by godofme because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Lawyer up!

Fascinated that FB would give out your login. If true, this sets a damning precedent for FB.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
you can try to file suit. there have been recent cases of people getting sued for violation of privacy by snooping on people's online activity.

here is one example:

blackandmarriedwithkids.com...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by godofme

how your employer has a legal right to obtain your FB name is a mystery to me.

while i have no love for barristers or our litigious society, i think your personal privacy and rights have been trampled upon and your good name has suffered irrepairable damage.

i think you should consult with a good attorney. you may just have a case that, if you are not wealthy, will be taken on a pro bono basis. in other words, the lawyer knows he'll make some coin, so he/she will wait until the court settlement for payday.

i'm real sorry this happened to you.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by godofme

That's gross dude.
I wouldn't have told anyone.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Can you tell us where this occurred? State? City?

Most State and Local Bars (the lawyer kind, not the drinkin kind) have a Pro Bono dept. set up to handle things like this. In fact, some Bars have a special Emeritus Attorney designation for old-school attorneys that work for free on a certain amount of cases in return for the honorable title and reduction of Bar Dues.

(Pro Bono means "for free" in Latin)

reply to post by GmoS719

He's anonymous here on ATS, so he hasn't really told anyone...
edit on 14-9-2011 by DamaSan because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GmoS719
reply to post by godofme

That's gross dude.
I wouldn't have told anyone.

How is it gross? It's a very common infection which clears up in 5 days with anti biotics

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DamaSan
Can you tell us where this occurred? State? City?

reply to post by GmoS719

He's anonymous here on ATS, so he hasn't really told anyone...

This is the UK, England.

I havnt really looked into what my rights are regarding, facebook, i know they are allowed to monitor my activity on facebook, but not log into and read private messages, which is the only way they could have found out, i told noone in public and neither did my girlfriend.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
Yep, sue everyone for gossiping about it, sue the employer for invasion of privacy and sue Facebook too.

No one has a right to do that.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by godofme

Oh man, England? That changes my entire legal perspective. I have no idea what your rights/laws are across the pond, but it wouldn't surprise me if this activity is allowed in your Big Brother Nation.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

reply to post by godofme

Oh man, England? That changes my entire legal perspective. I have no idea what your rights/laws are across the pond, but it wouldn't surprise me if this activity is allowed in your Big Brother Nation.

Born and raised here for 27 years of my life so far and honestly never noticed it being a big brother nation (unless you count the hordes of idiots who watch the tv show of the same name).

Worst I had was an employer asking my doctor if I really was ill but still firing me anyway despite doctors and a hospital advising me not to go back to work (major depression and was being tested for testicular cancer)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by DamaSan

Lawyer up!

Exactly.

You have several claims against FB and your employer.

Nearly paint by numbers... What jurisdiction are you in?

ETA:
ooops....sorry, disregard what I said....I know nothing about your likely rights in the UK.

edit on 14-9-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
What do i do then? Talk to HR? I'm only 19 so this is all really new to me, i feel mad as hell.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by godofme

At this point I would look into the legal ramifications, I would not discuss anything with the employer until you know where you stand legally.

You know, when fb denies me as a parent of a minor child the access information of said account they refuse. But an employer that arbitrarily asks for it and they hand it over, something is wrong here.

This is why I do not use fb, never know what you do online may come back to bite you, and knowing me and my vocal tendencies, it would at one point or another. My employer has actually told me to set up a fb account so that I will be part of the team. I refuse.

edit on 14-9-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by godofme

Nope.

I'm sorry but FaceBook would not provide your login details to your employer.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Are you sure that they got your FB info and it wasn't your friend or one of your g/f friends that blabbed about it?...make them show you what your login/password is for proof that they actually know it.
edit on 14-9-2011 by dudeawesome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
FACE BOOK IS A SITE FOR THE MAN TO KEEP TABS ON YOU.

and after stories and stories just like yours people continue to use it. Why idk i dont have one. i just dont understand facebook and the people who use it.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by dudeawesome
Are you sure that they got your FB info and it wasn't your friend that blabbed about it?...make them show you what your login/password is for proof that they actually know it.

Exactly.

It's more likely that someone has handed the OP's login details to his employer out of spite, FB will not be handing out login details to anyone's employer; that's against the law.
edit on 14/9/11 by Death_Kron because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
So apart from figuring out who got your password (and changing it....) I'd be looking for legal advice and be looking to sue for damages.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

Originally posted by dudeawesome
Are you sure that they got your FB info and it wasn't your friend that blabbed about it?...make them show you what your login/password is for proof that they actually know it.

Exactly.

It's more likely that someone has handed the OP's login details to his employer out of spite, FB will not be handing out login details to anyone's employer; that's against the law.

That cannot be right, the person i told does not work with me, or even live in the same city as me, also my GF is very very private.

I am convinced they have accessed my login details, because, i remember 3 months back my boss came up to me and said "ive seen people having been trying to talk to you on fb during work time, make sure you dont reply in work time"

How would they possibly know that? Unless they logged in and read people trying to message me via live chat.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join