It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop the 527 ads!!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Bush condems 527's or does he?

From the link below--One reporter cited the swift boat ads and asked, "When you say that you want to stop all --" "All of them," Bush responded. "That means that ad, every other ad. Absolutely. I don't think we ought to have 527s."
White House spokesman Scott McClellan told reporters Bush's use of the words "that ad" did not indicate a repositioning on the issue. He said Bush was repeating his previous calls for an end to 527 ads.

www.cnn.com...

I don't think Bush had anything to do with the Swift Boats ad, when Kerry came back from Vietnam he made alot of enemies with the vets. After all kerry made the American poeple hate them, spit on them and call them baby killers.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   
As he unequivocably stated from his Crawford, TX ranch to reporters. He stated his belief that ALL 527's "violate the letter and the spirit of the McCain-Feingold Campaign Finance Reform Act."

The irony here is that Kerry is whining like a child about a few million dollars worth of ads while he continues to remain silent on the over $62Million being spent by Democratic 527's who are lambasting Bush. A little hypocrisy here???

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by AntiPolitrix
... when Kerry came back from Vietnam he made alot of enemies with the vets. After all kerry made the American poeple hate them, spit on them and call them baby killers.

What world do you live in? You should really get your facts straight before you mouth off a bunch of right-wing lies.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Those with a fleeting knowledge of politics of the past 10 years will know the tactics resorted to by the Bush administration. Karl Rove and his helpers pulled of some great scams such as comparing Georgia Senator Max Cleland to Osama Bin Laden & Saddam Hussein, after Cleland lost three limbs in Vietnam.

Rove pioneered "push polling" which is when you use polling calls to push your agenda by asking questions like "Would you vote for the senator if he had an affair with a black aide" and "would you vote if this information was revealed" etc. Planting a powerful image in the pollers mind they'd go out and tell others and speculation would occur.

The 527 boys are just another chapter in the Bush/Rove book, they're just mad because this time they tried it on the national level and were caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Both sides are abusing the 527s. 527s were set up specifically to influence campaigns, but neither support a oppose a specific candidate.

They are meant to address specific issues. Both parties are using them as a way to launch attacks on the other.

It's really just sickening.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
The 527 boys are just another chapter in the Bush/Rove book, they're just mad because this time they tried it on the national level and were caught with their hands in the proverbial cookie jar.

Time to do your homework paison!

www.opensecrets.org...

www.newsmax.com...

www.worldnetdaily.com...

www.hillnews.com...

The true fact of the matter is that the Democrat 527s have outspent the Republicans by over 100 to 1. Now whose tom-foolery is the 527 debacle?

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by JabbaOnTheDais

... when Kerry came back from Vietnam he made alot of enemies with the vets. After all kerry made the American poeple hate them, spit on them and call them baby killers.

What world do you live in? You should really get your facts straight before you mouth off a bunch of right-wing lies.

Earth. Right-Wing Lies huh? Read over his speech in 1971, he made the AMerican people hate US troops coming home from Vietnam.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo

Originally posted by Nerdling

Time to do your homework paison!

www.opensecrets.org...

www.newsmax.com...

www.worldnetdaily.com...

www.hillnews.com...

The true fact of the matter is that the Democrat 527s have outspent the Republicans by over 100 to 1. Now whose tom-foolery is the 527 debacle?

Nice!

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Bush doesn't support 527 groups?!? I would drag out the dreaded flip-flops, but I think hypocrisy is a smarter word. How can he denounce these groups on one hand, but vigorously pursue 527 fundraising on the other? Furthermore, the fact that Bush supporters are being discouraged from donating via normal fundraising channels to funnel funds into "independent" (ie: 527) organizations really does violate the spirit of what the 527 organizations are about. There were a slew of articles about Bush's 527 fundraising techniques just months ago, but I included a link to one because everyone seems to have short term amnesia...

www.washingtonpost.com...

Here is another thought--perhaps it could be that there are more issues that have inspired the growth of donations to legitimate 527 organizations that oppose Bush...

[edit on 24-8-2004 by lmgnyc]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Wow, the 527 help Bush, he supports them. He gets caught lieing, cheating, and breaking the law, 527's are evil! If you want the truth about Kerry's record go to Kerry's website. He puts his war record on their. Unlike Bush, who has no record to put on his website.

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I don't think Bush had anything to do with the Swift Boats ad, when Kerry came back from Vietnam he made alot of enemies with the vets. After all kerry made the American poeple hate them, spit on them and call them baby killers.

"I don't think" . . .

Sure Bush knew about the Swiftboat stuff- his own humiliating service was killing him with veterans.

Kerry made a lot of enemies with vets- no doubt. He also made some staunch supporters. The kind that will back him even if they disagree with him! I was in a V.A. hospital the first time I heard Kerry- we booed him! Many of us later were in the streets ourselves.

Marches and news conferences finally changed things. This saved our younger brothers, the junior high kids- we loved it!

I was spat on, had garbage thrown at me, called every name you can imagine. I hated those people.

Two years later, after finally seeing what was really happening I joined them. Protest saved 100,000 American lives and probably 200,000 Vietnamese.

Isn't America about dissent?
About.com anti-war rally

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:29 AM
link   
They separate political speech from direct contribution to a candidate's election funds. It makes it harder for someone contributing to a 527 to expect knee-jerk access you get to a candidate with a regular campaign contribution. Even if the Swift boat guys are lying or not, I still like 527s.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by lmgnyc
www.washingtonpost.com...
[edit on 24-8-2004 by lmgnyc]

Nice link, they plan to spend 300 million before the November Elections and i believe that amount is just for the Republican fund-raising. Wouldn't that be something if they used that money to fix problems this country is facing instead of using it to throw mud at each other. The fund-raising money and the money the spent on their National Convention is a large amount of money that could be spent to protect the US borders or used to set up a *real* Home Land Security. Safety is what the people want and that is why the War on Terror will decide the election.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly
Protest saved 100,000 American lives and probably 200,000 Vietnamese.

But how many lives did it take before progress was made? In my opinion, anti-war rallys hurt the effort of the military by showing the enemy we are not united which gives them hope to resist. All the Anti-war rallys against the Iraq war has given the Iraqi-insurgents hope that they can defeat us. The enemy knows the only way to beat the US is by divide and conquer.
It was great after Sept 11th when the hole country stood up as one and let the world know terrorism is not going to shut the US down. It is just a shame it took 3000 American lives on that horrible day to get everyone on the same page. That is why i hope no matter who wins the next election, the American people will stand behind the next President so we can get this country moving again.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   
527 ads are protected free speech despite how putrid they are. Calling for an end to protected speech by both leading candidates should be more frightening to Americans than the content in the ads.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Wow, the 527 help Bush, he supports them. He gets caught lieing, cheating, and breaking the law, 527's are evil! If you want the truth about Kerry's record go to Kerry's website. He puts his war record on their. Unlike Bush, who has no record to put on his website.

If you want the truth about Kerry's record go to Kerry's website.

There are other things on Kerry's campaign website such as this little tidbit from March 13th,

While Kerry has not been on the air anywhere since locking up the Democratic nomination March 2, two liberal interest groups - the Media Fund and the MoveOn.org Voter Fund - have been, assailing the president and serving as the Democrats' answer to Bush.

The groups cannot legally coordinate with Kerry, but they can challenge administration policy, an indirect benefit to the Democrat.

The Media Fund is spending $5 million over the next two weeks, and MoveOn, an online activist group that has been running anti-Bush ads for months, has put up nearly $3 million. Both groups are running moderate levels of commercials in 17 states where Bush is on the air.

Kerry's buy, too, is moderate and limited to media markets that polling shows are competitive. But when his buy is combined with those from the Media Fund and MoveOn, the Democratic message saturates the airwaves in some places.

Wink,wink,smile,smile,nudge,nudge

Kerry Campaign

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
If you want the truth about Kerry's record go to Kerry's website. He puts his war record on their. Unlike Bush, who has no record to put on his website.

Exactly, so why do all you Bush haters ASSUME Bush went AWOL? You don't have any proof. If i were Bush i would not release my records either, Kerry made the mistake. Furthermore, Bush's record doesn't make a difference anyway, he didn't make it the center piece of his campaign.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The Democrats 527 groups spending 5 times what the Republican groups are spending. Who's not playing fair?

I haven't seen Bush start crying yet and want to sue people the way Kerry has over his "tarnished" reputation. Pretty thin skin there. What a great attribute of a possible President...

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeddicusZulZorander
I haven't seen Bush start crying yet and want to sue people the way Kerry has over his "tarnished" reputation. Pretty thin skin there. What a great attribute of a possible President...

Yep, if he can't even handle the mud slingin how is he going to handle terrorism. I also find it interesting it only takes 1/5th of the money to tarnish Kerry's reputation than it does to tarnish Bush's, considering the voters are still split down the middle 50/50.

posted on Aug, 26 2004 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by PublicGadfly
Protest saved 100,000 American lives and probably 200,000 Vietnamese.

But how many lives did it take before progress was made? In my opinion, anti-war rallys hurt the effort of the military by showing the enemy we are not united which gives them hope to resist. All the Anti-war rallys against the Iraq war has given the Iraqi-insurgents hope that they can defeat us. The enemy knows the only way to beat the US is by divide and conquer.

I would love to disagree wiith this but, sigh, I can't.

It was great after Sept 11th when the hole country stood up as one and let the world know terrorism is not going to shut the US down. It is just a shame it took 3000 American lives on that horrible day to get everyone on the same page. That is why i hope no matter who wins the next election, the American people will stand behind the next President so we can get this country moving again.

YES- against terrorism!

Hunt them down, get them wherever they are but don't go on a conquest binge and say STUPID things like:
"bring it on"

Stay focused- hunt and destroy the enemy. Leave them no place to hide.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join