It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does voting even matter in the United States?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   
I read a biography of one of my favorite people, emma goldman, tonight and was reminded of one of her famous quotes:

"If voting changed anything it would be illegal."

in light of what we at ats often consider the gov't capable of (including possibly controlling the weather, the media and the economy), how can we believe that our votes are honestly counted?

so i looked around a little bit and found one site that was interesting in the scope of possible ways elections are rigged.

Rigged Election

another site focuses on what it considers to be election rigging by electronic voting machines and the ways that they can be manipulated.

How to Rig an Election in the United States

and while each of these sites offer many theories for research and thought, what really happens during an american election we will not know for years, if ever.

but many of us here believe that the US gov't will take advantage of its people any way it can, why would they draw the line at election rigging?

and if people like ron paul could really make things better here for the people, why would they ever let him be elected?

thanks! this is my first real post. i appreciate your thoughts!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by godWhisperer

it only matters if you want to feel like your making an influnence.
the only way to truely 'vote' is with a rising up of the people

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
Voting is a charade, a means to convince the crutch clasping sheeple that they determine the nature and future of the US.

It is is in fact irrelevant and status quo prevails.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Have you ever heard of the "Electoral College"?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileysubet

Yep, put in place in a time when the country was new... Because the founding fathers felt the general public of the time was not educated enough to decide on their own...

Well, I say we are now... Time to switch to popular vote.... but that will never happen for a reason....

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Nope, because nothing ever changes. Different faces get in the white house and nothing ever gets changed.
edit on 14-9-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:51 AM
link   

of course i know of the electoral college. why do you ask? are you referring to it as evidence that voting is rigged?

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by godWhisperer

of course i know of the electoral college. why do you ask? are you referring to it as evidence that voting is rigged?

The fact that it exists, in my opinion is proof that that the voting system is not accurate.

The members of the electoral college do not have to vote for the person the citizens voted for. The pledge for being a member of the electoral college states that they "should" vote for the person of popular vote, simply because they took the position. But it does not mean they have to.

Give a politician an inch.....and they will make sure their pockets are full....
edit on 14-9-2011 by mileysubet because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   

I read what you posted. But I'm going to just respond to the title of your post.
Meanwhile,I've been deducted points for just responding to just a title of a thread. Like I care. lol

My answer to your title is, "No".................

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mileysubet

i agree and i know what you mean- just that aspect of it seems fishy. it also allows for another process to further skew actual results.

so far it sounds as though some atsers feel it's a given that american voting is a sham, yet if the majority of the people in america felt that this was true i think we would be much more likely to revolt. it would indicate that the people had no control whatsoever over their government.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by kyred

"points"? ok.

but, again, your comment indicates that it's a given, of course voting doesn't matter, and it's ridiculous to think it does. i can understand feeling that way, sometimes i wonder.

but then again i spend an evening talking about the republican debate on ats and i wonder if i am placated just a little bit by notion that someone good could actually make a difference anymore outside of a real uprising.

of course i want to believe that our voting actually influences the college, at least, and contributes to electing the person i want elected. but if i am to believe in things like haarp or fema camps then i would also have to think that there would be no way TPTB would ever let the public actually vote on anything important to them.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

I actually just authored a thread proposing a theory as to how the upcoming GOP nominee primaries could be manipulated. You might want to give it a read. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Not trying to derail, just thought it might lend some insight into a possibility I think is very real.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by GogoVicMorrow

I actually just authored a thread proposing a theory as to how the upcoming GOP nominee primaries could be manipulated. You might want to give it a read. www.abovetopsecret.com...
Not trying to derail, just thought it might lend some insight into a possibility I think is very real.

awesome! i had missed it so i appreciate you directing me there. thanks!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Voting is a powerful tool used to make the general public feel like they matter. It doesnt matter who wins, each candidate serves only the interest of the financers of thier campain.

It was a noble idea, elections and all, but our forefathers never pictured the world we live in today.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
All the proof you need for election rigging.

edit on 14-9-2011 by bftroop because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

i think something is wrong with the video link. wait, ok, it's up. thanks!
edit on 14-9-2011 by godWhisperer because: video got fixed

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
It only matters if you picked the winning horse, otherwise for I believe some 48 of the states your vote is never reflected thanks to the winner-takes-all systems in place controlling the distribution of votes. So in the case of say Wisconsin (has 10 votes last i checked) splitting 4 for Candidate A and 6 for Candidate B in a 40/60 split all 10 votes go to Candidate B, giving the impression to those who don't know any better that the winner won the entire state instead of only 60% of the votes. If we did away with the winner-takes-all nonsense maybe these absurdly divisive concepts of red or blue states would go away and people might realize that its not as clear cut as previously thought.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

that is an interesting video! before i posted i did a search on 'voting' but didn't see anything about that video. there has to be a thread on that testimony.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

Holy hell. I've never seen this!

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
reply to post by bftroop

That was when people were trying to prove Bush didn't win the election over Gore. Notice it never came up when Obama won? Now people are starting to talk about it again. I'm guessing that some are worried a Republican would actually win over a Democrat who's losing his charm.
I just read that current WH occupant attended Bilderberg, and I would guess that McCain also would be supported by Bilderbergs.
So I guess in that respect it really doesn't matter because the Bilderbergs have it all covered.
edit on 14-9-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join