It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Urgent! 3 Days of Darkness

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Regardless, we do not know the exact size the corona will represent nor do we understand why there are darkened "gravity wells" that appear with ELE-nin observations.

So in reality if the cat is in the bag to a certain date, to say "it is just a bag" and nothing more, is closing our mind to what is truth. We don't know anything yet and this OP is about a future date!

Bad call on whomever chose to place this so easily in the hoax-bin, as if it were the end of the world and there were no more time on our hands! We have plenty of time to discuss this and then later it can get tossed! I would suspect there will be a substantial amount of trash to put out after all this is said and done!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

First of all, a comet's coma is so thin and tenuous that most of it is a virtual vacuum. Elenin's coma has been observed to be about 215,000 km in diameter, or about 150% larger than Jupiter, which is a coma size that is not at all unusual for a comet like Elenin.

The bottom line is that a comet's coma is mostly made of "nothing", and there is really no way a comet's coma -- even a coma larger than Jupiter -- would block out the Sun because of how wispy-thin it is.

Secondly, even if there is some sort of so-called "darkened gravity well" anomaly associated with Elenin, the source quoted in the OP on which this thread is based makes no mention of that whatsoever. We could engage in baseless and wild speculation about strange unknown possibilities concerning Elenin, but then we would still just be making stuff up.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

I have never heard of the size of Elenin anywhere on the internet, do you have a source for that info, because if it's 150% bigger than Jupiter then it wouldn't be hard to imagine it blocking out light if it came between Earth and the Sun.

www.sciencenetlinks.com...

Here's a great way to compare sizes of planets
The ratio in size of Elenin to Earth based off what your saying would be 1 to 27.75, 1 being the Earth. That would be huge, and if its closer to Sun than it is to the Earth the shadow casted would be pretty darn big.
edit on 15-9-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
reply to post by mileslong54

The nucleus (the more solid part) of Elenin is only 3 to 5 km. The coma is about 215,000 km.

The coma of a comet is the extremely thin gaseous part that surrounds a comet. A comet's coma is extrmely tenuous and could be considered to be a virtual vacuum. Like I said above, the coma of a comet is mostly empty space and nothingness.

It is not unusual at all for a comet's coma to be that large -- or even larger. Comet 17P/Holmes that came around in 2007 had a coma that grew to be larger than the Sun. Again, even Comet Holmes had a tiny nucleus of only about 3 to 4 km.

edit on 9/15/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

I understand what your saying, but where do you get the size of Elenin, there's seems to be varying data on the size and I've seen and read that have Elenin is increasing in size as it enters our solar system.

There a breaking up story that's out there too.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
`Im not a long time member on ats, so maybe im incorrect in my definitions, but why couldnt this thread have been put in skunk works or the grey area, sorry to whine but i don t think this is fair to the OP at all.
And just out of interest, what defines a blessed candle, is it a catholic priest blessing it or any member of the clergy.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by thedoctorswife

I truly have no idea but your guess is the same I would have come up with, Holy Water, Holy Candles, makes sense.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

There seems to be a mixed review on this subject based on belief systems. One could simply pray over their own candles to "bless" them, and others such as the Catholic tend to believe they must consist of at least 50% beeswax and "blessed" by the Church.

I personally have tea-lights and scented votives!

I do have "Sterno" fuel for cooking, I will be sure and say a blessing over that too once I am attempting to use it!

I do like the idea of beeswax, they burn better and longer! I should order some online.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Greensage

Plus beezwax smells really good! I will do that. I'm not Catholic so I didn't know that about the candle, good infromation, thanks!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Can this be delayed. I am on holidays that week. I hate it when I am on a beach, and the Sun is blocked.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I'm not blaming the OP.

I only feel that the source that the OP linked seemed to offer no information other than just stating "...3 days of darkness...", as if that source was just making things up for the sake of making things up.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People

I'm not blaming the OP.

I only feel that the source that the OP linked seemed to offer no information other than just stating "...3 days of darkness...", as if that source was just making things up for the sake of making things up.

You right, I just posted it to discuss the possibilities of this truly happening, I only know what I read and don't know what I read to be true. The title of the source is what I used for the thread title. Just throwing it out there to see if people with knowledge of comets, space, etc. would offer their two cents, but joke and hoax with a bit of sensible info is all that came of it. I honestly don't think it's going to happen, I'm thinking more that an earthquake or volcano is more likely to happen. Either way having some fore knowledge of impending events can only serve to help prepare. The hoax part I don't get at all...there's been thread's about dolphins causing the Japan earthquake and raptures that are going to happen so I don't know why this was hoaxed when those were allowed to run still to this day.

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Awsome i can get a moon tan

posted on Sep, 25 2011 @ 08:53 AM
link   
3 Days of Darkness is of course pure nonsense. It's a curious case of bad science dear Watson!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54
COMET ELENIN ECLIPSES SUN - Sept. 26, 2011...

Ummm it's Monday Sept. 26 not Sunday.

I saw the sun pretty good today...but I will be damn pissed if I don't see that bloody Elenin eclipse the sun tomorrow morning!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   

Hey I didn't know I had a wife!?!?

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Question: If Elenin is apparently as big as they say it is (I've heard some say it's larger than our moon) wouldn't we be able to see if in the night sky by now? If it's as close as it's supposed to be I would imagine it would be pretty visible by now. I'd think you would at least be able to make it out in a somewhat similar fashion that we can observe something like Mercury, which is about 1000km larger than our moon. This all leads me to believe that it wouldn't be large enough to block out the sun. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I don't believe it would be all that large.

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrassyKnoll

Hey I didn't know I had a wife!?!?

Yeah you do, so go and lag the attic and put a new bulb in the kitchen! Your avatar is my second favourite husband.
On topic (well, sort of),just to add to the weirdness of the current times, its seems the UK is going to experience some ridiculously hot weather, we're talking mid to late twentys during the week. Its Autumn for Gods sake. Its probably not connected its just quite odd as we're approaching October, and I believe there was a thread last week that said that we're to expect snow in Oct in the UK, so snow and tropical heat in the same month???? bizarre!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   

If the UK gets 3 days of darkness in October there will be snow in the Welsh moors...all those werewolves will be confused and angry.

Chaos may come to the streets of Cardifff...beware the full moon!

posted on Sep, 26 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Resonant
Question: If Elenin is apparently as big as they say it is (I've heard some say it's larger than our moon) wouldn't we be able to see if in the night sky by now? If it's as close as it's supposed to be I would imagine it would be pretty visible by now. I'd think you would at least be able to make it out in a somewhat similar fashion that we can observe something like Mercury, which is about 1000km larger than our moon. This all leads me to believe that it wouldn't be large enough to block out the sun. I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but I don't believe it would be all that large.

I've read that Elenin's coma is approximately 200,000 km many times bigger than the Earth's diameter.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join