It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Proposals for the Advanced Tactical Fighter (AKA the F-22) that never made the selection. Does anybo

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 01:17 AM
link   
As we all know, the F-22 Raptor won the ATF comp by beating the YF-23 Black Widow II in a decison that can best be described as politicaly based. However, multiple companies did submit proposals as well:

General Dynamics submited a variety of proposals including:

This would eventualy morph into an almost tailess desing that would have tail surfaces on the extreem of the wing. They also proposed a flying wing model that eventually became the failed A-12 Avenger II

Other Concepts included a plane called the Missileer which was armed with numerous AA missiles

A VSTOL concept called "Jimminey Cricket"

Another was an all stealth design which to me looks like a cross between Tacit Blue and the failed Northrup AST project

Another concept that Im unsure of the design company but looks like a cut down B-58 Hustler

One of Lockheeds initial proposals actually looked like a single tailed SR-71. If anybody has a picture I would appreciate it.

Other concepts I don't have a picture of are:

Boeing's multiple concepts
McDonnell Douglas Revamped F-15 (They felt stealth was a passing fad)
Rockwell's blended all wing design
Grumman's killer looking FSW design (looks like the SU-47)

[edit on 24-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Some good publications are Advanced Tactical Fighter to F-22 Raptor by Aronstein, Hirschberg and Piccirillo by the AIAA. Also World Airpower Journal Volume 38 Automn/Fall 1999 has excellent information concerning not only the winning Lockheed proposal (which never would be able to fly, the chine that ran straight from nose to win made it pitch unstable such no amount of horizontal stab would control it) but many of the others as well.

[edit on 27-8-2004 by MPJay]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Great Find MPJay...

Yeah Lockheed got lucky that the problems with the Lockheed ATF did not come up till after the down select was made..

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Here's an early Boeing concept.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by waynos
Here's an early Boeing concept.

Cool! I have seen that one in print, but I did not have a picture. looks like a F-16 on steroids and canards

[edit on 28-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Here's an overview of the original ATF proposals.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 01:26 PM
link   
MPJay!

Excellent find. You have guite a collection of aviation pics. !!! Thanks Alot, I have never seen all of the compeditors lined up like this. Its interesting to see the design theory each group used.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 02:29 PM
link   
It's a scan from "From ATF to F-22 Raptor: Origins of the 21st Century Air Dominance Fighter" by Aronstein, Hirschberg and Piccirillo. A MUST have for any Raptor fan.

posted on Aug, 28 2004 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by MPJay
It's a scan from "From ATF to F-22 Raptor: Origins of the 21st Century Air Dominance Fighter" by Aronstein, Hirschberg and Piccirillo. A MUST have for any Raptor fan.

I will have to add it to my aviation library. Thanks

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:23 AM
link   
Great find indeed

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:29 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 31 2004 @ 05:43 AM
link   

[edit on 31-8-2004 by Stealth Spy]

new topics