It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The FIRST 9/11 ATS thread - writen as it happened...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
So i was just sitting here watching a doco on TV, reliving the moments of 911. Still feels horibble seeing it after all this time...

Made me think where i was, what i was doing when it happened...

Then i got curious as to what it must have been like here on ATS the day it actually happened (i didn't know of ATS in 2001).

So i wonder does anyone know where the ORIGINAL ATS thread/s on 911 can be found, the ones which were being written AS IT HAPPENED?

I think it would be an intriguing and fairly depressing/sad window into what people where thinking on that day as it was unfolding..

Hope someone can help, ive searched the search engine but there's about a billion 9/11 threads in this place, way too hard to track it down that way....

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by srsen

What an important point you raise. I'd imagine the site administration could narrow down which threads started in the right time frame. The more I sat back and thought about it, the tempo and activity level of ATS would make their threads as historically important as any other barometer of peoples feelings and reactions that day. Nice thought! No doubt those who run ATS can figure out which fall into the important category for this now that you mention it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
ATS didn't exist in 2001. Simon Gray's join date is Jun 28, 2002.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by srsen
So i was just sitting here watching a doco on TV, reliving the moments of 911. Still feels horibble seeing it after all this time...

Made me think where i was, what i was doing when it happened...

Then i got curious as to what it must have been like here on ATS the day it actually happened (i didn't know of ATS in 2001).

So i wonder does anyone know where the ORIGINAL ATS thread/s on 911 can be found, the ones which were being written AS IT HAPPENED?

I think it would be an intriguing and fairly depressing/sad window into what people where thinking on that day as it was unfolding..

Hope someone can help, ive searched the search engine but there's about a billion 9/11 threads in this place, way too hard to track it down that way....

It looks like page 166 was one of the earliest pages. (if not the first?) They start in 2002.

There were several threads, with minimal to zero responses.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
i would surely like to see some sort of retrospective like this instead of flowery recounts of what some of us yokels tearfully remember happening in our small spheres while it went down. i'd love to see pertinent posts from this site on that day.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

I believe he started it in 1999? I could be mistaken.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Six Sigma

If so, they must have restarted the member registrations in 2002. It is possible that, if that was the case, the early threads are archived somewhere. The OP should send a U2U to Skeptic Overlord and ask.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
the tempo and activity level of ATS would make their threads as historically important as any other barometer of peoples feelings and reactions that day.

You banged it on the head, i agree it really would be a significant read, a slice of 'conspiracy theorist' history so-to-speak.

I think it would be somewhat culturally significent...

Hope the mods pass this thread round the office and see what they can dig up?

Originally posted by Six Sigma

I believe he started it in 1999? I could be mistaken.

Must admit, 1999 was my gut feeling. Perhaps Simon had to refresh his account and start a new one on June 29 2002?

Mods? Can we get any official indication if such a thread existed?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   

If so, they must have restarted the member registrations in 2002. It is possible that, if that was the case, the early threads are archived somewhere. The OP should send a U2U to Skeptic Overlord and ask.

Just sent Skeptic Overlord a message then to see if he could help. We'll see if anything comes of it.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
I'll be keeping a close eye on this one - I'd surely like to know the answers, and, read the threads when they're re-discovered.

Thanks for the post...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   

It was a small site with out much fanfare. From what I heard, it was the 9/11 Conspiracies that jump-started the website.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Wikipedia says 1999, so you are correct. Increases in traffic must have required a new system and reregistration.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Here's an interesting one, never heard it before

Chinese Planners Took Credit for 9/11

date: 24-11-2002

Soon after the horrific attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon,
two high-ranking Chinese military planners took credit for the 9/11
attacks � and were even hailed as national heroes in China.

In fact, three years before 9/11, the Chinese colonels had proposed the
attacks and cited Osama bin Laden by name in their book "Unrestricted
Warfare."

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Incorrect.

On September 11, 2001, the discussion board on ATS was running under software called "IKON Board," which was problematic. Somewhere in early 2002, there was a catastrophic failure of the host and software, and just about everything from the IKON Board was lost. At that point, Simon installed XMB Forum, and we're still using the database from that installation.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Here's a Wayback Machine 'snapshot' of ATS from Sept. 25th, 2001

Apparently, it's the only 'snapshot' form that month.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010925182054/http://abovetopsecret.com/
edit on 9/10/2011

edit on 9/10/2011 by 12m8keall2c because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

The WayBack machine has much of the message board archived from that date also:
http://web.archive.org/web/20010918211709/http://www.abovetopsecret.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi
(copy and past the above URL into your browser)
edit on 10-9-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Wow I never knew ATS was around then, I have had the same thought as the OP a number of times, but always thought ATS was newer

I'm not sure if I'm allowed to link this or not, but here is the thread from Fark from that day, it's a bit chilling to read

edit
I'm pretty sure that there are more threads on it as that one is only 8 pages,
edit on 10-9-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Edit again
Here is the page with all of the threads, scroll down to the 11th
edit on 10-9-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12m8keall2c
Here's a Wayback Machine 'snapshot' of ATS from Sept. 25th, 2001

Apparently, it's the only 'snapshot' form that month.

http://web.archive.org/web/20010925182054/http://abovetopsecret.com/
edit on 9/10/2011

Spreading the love early. Nice.

edit on 10-9-2011 by Yankee451 because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
interesting topic but i for one wouldnt be interested in seeing it

cuz, there would be a bunch all around the same time and all full of disinformation

courtesy of stellar MSMs of course.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Found this interesting from sept.23.

WASHINGTON - 23JUN2001 (AirlineBiz.Com) With U.S. Gulf forces already on high alert, the U.S. State Department is expected to issue a travel advisory shortly warning Americans traveling overseas to be on their guard. Videotapes allegedly show Osama bin Laden threatening to attack U.S. interests in the region. Indictments against 13 Saudi nationals and one Lebanese, charging them with killing 19 US servicemen at a military base in Saudi Arabia in 1996 appears to be the catalyst. With the announcement of the indictments, U.S. Attorney General Ashcroft noted how terrorists are targeting the United States. "Americans are a high-priority target for terrorists," he said. In recent years, U.S. citizens have found themselves the target of several attacks by the terror network of Osama bin Laden. One such attack involved a plot to destroy 12 U.S. airliners in Asia.

web.archive.org...://abovetopsecret.com/

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join