It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why does the President not answer Texas' plea for help??We are burning over here..duhhh

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
And this is the new one.

www.fema.gov...

Designated Counties
Disaster Summary For FEMA-DR-4029, Texas

Declaration Date: September 9, 2011

Incident: Wildfires

Incident Period: August 30, 2011 and continuing

Individual Assistance
(Assistance to individuals and households):

Bastrop County.

Public Assistance
(Assistance to State and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations for emergency work and the repair or replacement of disaster-damaged facilities):

None.

Hazard Mitigation Grant Program
(Assistance to State and local governments and certain private nonprofit organizations for actions taken to prevent or reduce long term risk to life and property from natural hazards):

none

Other: Additional designations may be made at a later date after further evaluation.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Better than massive help from the fed govt is lessening the need in the first place. As this Texas article points out, warnings were sounded and prevention was sometimes a local govt rule/regulation away. Developers are in business to make money, not to assure a homeowners safety, so one can't simply believe the free market will keep one safe.

Unless Texans demand more from themselves, from their state/local govts, they could be doomed to repeat these wildfire disasters.

Unfortunately, the governance philosophy of some American politicians in recent times sounds similar to the likes of Russia's Putin. A Miser Pays Twice Some Americans used to be so fearfully obsessed that America would turn into Russia. Besides the similarity of invading Afghanistan, fighting wildfires could be another similarity.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Unless Texans demand more from themselves, from their state/local govts, they could be doomed to repeat these wildfire disasters.

Very true!

I've lived in numerous states and Texas has some of the worst run government I've seen. Houston, 4th largest city and when I first moved here downtown had streets as bad as some of the 3rd world countries I'd been to.

Too much money filtered off into the good ol boy network with nothing to show for it in return. Texas has a truly corrupt government.

I couldn't believe Texans just treat it as a way of life that they pay an average 2.75% of their home value every year in property taxes. For what? Texas schools are crap.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
I feel for those who have lost their houses and family members in this madness.

But to you far right conservatives that have been screaming about entitlements and cutting spending...some of you are now in the shoes of those who you looked down upon. Fend for yourselves and deal with it.

This just became my FAVORITE quote of the year !!! Thank you illuminatislave !!!

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
I remember during Katrina, some moonbats here were saying that Bush had weather control machines that he used to direct Katrina to hit NOLA because he didn't like blacks.

Maybe Obama is using the same machine to create the droughts and fires in Texas because he doesn't like Texas.

Silly, I know, but get a damn grip, people. We're all Americans -- put party aside and help each other when we need it.

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

Originally posted by Sunlionspirit

Originally posted by OutKast Searcher
reply to post by lyons666

I'm sorry Super Republican State of Texas...haven't you heard...our debt is way to high.

Republicans say we have to make cuts...and they think FEMA is a ridiculous agency...so we can't waste any money.

Texas always talks about seceding...always talks big and tough...and then they cry and run to the Federal Government for help.

It's a bit ironic...karma is a bitch.

yeah, FANTASTIC FANTASTIC answer, right into the teeth !!!
they always want less governement, less money for the State, less power for the State, neo-liberalism and neo-capitalism, as less state as possible !!! ....
but when they are in trouble, they cry for mama and daddy to come and help them ???
when they need help, they cry like babies for help and government implication ?
they better think twice instead of fighting their neo-liberal war against Obama or the State !!!
no money left to help, sorry, go see elsewhere, ask Bush or Cheney to come and help you !!! or maybe Palin can come and help you with some teapot stupid blablabla ..... ???

edit on 11-9-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

K'loe Jane McBride Cheek

BORN: January 29, 2010
DIED: September 3, 2011
RESIDENCE: Gladewater, TX

I hope you don't have children.

/TOA

I do have children, yes I do have 2 ! and a wife ... and as I said I do feel very sad about their suffer and death ...
but why then first of all do you want up there to demolish the State as much as possible, nothing left for the people, all about greed and big profit for the wealthy and corporations ???
but what society do you want after all ??
one with police and firefighters and prisons and justice and healthcare ??
or a society without all this, where children die in fires because no firefighters or no planes, where they die from healthproblems not cured ( private healthcare only affordable for the rich .. ), where people cann't have work to feed their families, where police is just there for the rich and corporations ( private paid security ... ), where the roads and the railways are not constructed or renewed etc etc ....
so first of all, do something against the going on destruction of the State by the politicians wanting themselves to have all the power, but not you ..... pitty pitty
just fight against this neo-capitalist killing of the human society ( it started with Reagan and the Reagonomics, Tatcher, then Bush, Cheney, Rums, Karl Rove, Chicago School economics ... spending cut politics that kills the State ) but I do not want you to believe me, please continue to believe in your dream of a "better" world where you are just left alone, alone with your suffering ...... no solidarity left for you, no money left for you, no help, just Katrina and her children dying because no money for the repairing of the levees .....
edit on 12-9-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BillfromCovina
According to Rick Perry and other conservatives, private enterprise can do a much better job than the government. Why are Texans looking for a handout? Why should I have to pay for someone who wants to live in an area that is prone to burn? Why didn't these people invest in water? Why should I have to pay to help landowners in Texas? This is welfare. I think these fires are God's answer to Gov Perry's big prayer rally. Now is the time for conservatives to shine. Put all your theories and rigid ideology to work. Refuse all federal aid. Let the private sector handle it. Ask Exxon to put out the fires.

hahaha !!! and they can ask BP for some oil out of the ocean, it's for free go and get it with your private yachts !! and they can ask Monsanto for some good food and corn to eat in this hard times, and they can ask for a lot of rain by praying much more you know !! Jesus is listening to you man,

the new-born christians and their stupid talk are so nice you know, they will surely give their life for you, they will pray against masturbation and abortion, anything you want, all but just private gifts to moron politicians but NO money for the people's State to be what it has to be : a good society for all with the help of all ...
so now you know, your world up there is the best you can haven it's just great ( greed .... ) !! but do not ask too much, just cry alone.
edit on 12-9-2011 by Sunlionspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 12:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

Don't you think your exaggerating a bit no one wants to do away with the government. The government is necessary and no one has said get rid of it unless you've seen statements from the people you mentioned i know i haven't. What people want is the government to stay out of our homes. The government is supposed to give you the ability to live your life not tell you how to live your life. Why is it people go to extremes when they try to make points. Lets come back to the real world the US couldn't function without a government. What the dispute is over is how much the government should control. Most people agree the government wastes money and spends to much( see current debt).

Also id say most people don't want to pay more in taxes i know i don't. So whats wrong with forcing the government to spend less then they take in. If i rack up a lot of debt i cant go to my boss and say yeah ive got these credit cards and i need another 10000 a year. If we cant do it why should the government be allowed? The reality you don't have to cut programs just simply change them so there fiscally sound. In 20 years if nothing is done about soc sec it will be so huge we cant afford it then what are we going to do with people who depend on it???????????????????

posted on Sep, 12 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by dragonridr
reply to post by Sunlionspirit

Don't you think your exaggerating a bit no one wants to do away with the government. The government is necessary and no one has said get rid of it unless you've seen statements from the people you mentioned i know i haven't. What people want is the government to stay out of our homes. The government is supposed to give you the ability to live your life not tell you how to live your life. Why is it people go to extremes when they try to make points. Lets come back to the real world the US couldn't function without a government. What the dispute is over is how much the government should control. Most people agree the government wastes money and spends to much( see current debt).

Also id say most people don't want to pay more in taxes i know i don't. So whats wrong with forcing the government to spend less then they take in. If i rack up a lot of debt i cant go to my boss and say yeah ive got these credit cards and i need another 10000 a year. If we cant do it why should the government be allowed? The reality you don't have to cut programs just simply change them so there fiscally sound. In 20 years if nothing is done about soc sec it will be so huge we cant afford it then what are we going to do with people who depend on it???????????????????

I agree, the States/governments EVERYWHERE in the world have to spend less money, ok, but not at the price of the welfare of the people !! why don't they cut in the wars, in the army, in the black projects etc etc ???
but not in the healthcare, not in the seniors welfare, not in the firefighters organisation, not in the police, ...
why do they give so much tax cuts to the richest people and corporations ???? should use that money for more firefighters, better healthcare for all, better natural food for all ( see what I mean ? Monsanto's frankenfood research and big profits sustained by your $$$ !!! ).
So, money can be saved yes, but not out of the pockets of the normal citizen !!
and do not forget, money is needed by the state to create new jobs !!! the Government has to SPEND more money to make the economics go better, not the contrary !! we need to put more oil in the economy machine, not the contrary ! Peace.

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Republicans say we don't need any government spending- churches and the free market will take care of everyone.

So your pastors should be fighting the fires for you using shovels donated by Texas corporations, you don't need the Feds remember?

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas

Silly, I know, but get a damn grip, people. We're all Americans -- put party aside and help each other when we need it.

You are such a hypocrite! You never miss a chance to exploit the differences in parties and ideologies; Slander whom ever disagrees with you, [me included] and now it's "we're all Americans, party aside" ....oh please

If this is truly your attitude...you owe some apologies!!!

edit on 18-9-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 18 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Why would anyone let themselves be dictated by the Feds? Take care of yourself. Are you going to be any safer by the Feds than taking care of yourself?

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join