It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People and Patriotism? a conspiracy within itself?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Take your home for example. Even as a child, I am sure you took pride in your surroundings, because that is what your parents taught you to do.

My parents taught me to appreciate what I had, because there were always people who had less.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose
reply to post by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien

Hmmm, well, I did have a war with a neighbor over a fence that extended onto my property for a number of years, although it didn't lead to any deaths.

As for contributing nothing, I hate to beg to differ with you. I pay taxes. I pay my share, and even if this country is on a downswing, I still take pride in it. I can't think of anywhere else in the world I'd rather live.

So, let me as this, since I might have missed where you hail from, you take no pride in your country?

Well moving from a different house is easier than moving countries.
I have no trouble moving houses, i move around a lot.

I was born in the states, lived there for 6 years, moved to NZ, malaysia and now in australia, been to over 12 different high schools, seen retards in all.

I've seen patriotism all round, it just seems like an accepted channel for a company of fools, is what im saying.
You dont need to like a place to be patriotic to it, just recognize that it's good.

You pay taxes, so do i, im pretty sure we're both forced to, if i had a choice i wouldn't, so you really have no control over that.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Just because your born to a country doesn't mean your automatically a patriot of that country and you can use you as an example. You obviously don't care one way or another about your country in the sense of patriotism but others do and that's a choice you make.

Other people have moved to America from other places and became very proud of what America stands for while others couldn't care less. In the Civil War you had people that were patriots on both the North side and the South side and many people switching.

Many people in Germany in ww2 were very patriotic and many born in Germany couldn't wait to leave. Just because you see people displaying patriotism and waving flags doesn't mean they haven't given it thought and your post is insulting to those that have.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by greenWeenie

Exactly. I take pride in my country because I don't have to live in another country where millions of people have less.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Do you use public roads, visit state parks, use public transportation, or any service that was built in part with your tax dollars? Do you attend a university partially funded with tax dollars?

I don't mind paying taxes because I use the roads built with tax dollars to get to my job.

I also enjoy the sewer system attatched to my home that was built with tax dollars, and also the water supply connected using the same.

Let's just say I enjoy and take pride in what tax payers contribute to the lifestyle I live.

No man is an island unto himself. Pride and taxes are all part of being a society.

If you don't like that, and take no pride in it, then you need to be on an island by yourself.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silentkiss

Just because your born to a country doesn't mean your automatically a patriot of that country and you can use you as an example. You obviously don't care one way or another about your country in the sense of patriotism but others do and that's a choice you make.

Other people have moved to America from other places and became very proud of what America stands for while others couldn't care less. In the Civil War you had people that were patriots on both the North side and the South side and many people switching.

Many people in Germany in ww2 were very patriotic and many born in Germany couldn't wait to leave. Just because you see people displaying patriotism and waving flags doesn't mean they haven't given it thought and your post is insulting to those that have.

Wow...unbelievable.
I dont know what to say.....as you wish then.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
Why are people, so blinded by patriotism that makes them not see through it?
How do people feel special, because they are simply born in a different place, something they have no control over?
Is patriotism there, for sheep to basically keep the other sheep in line?
ie, if you criticize something about the country you live in, someone else, who is patriotic, will obviously insult you, and everyone goes along with it, doesn't that make the whole concept of free speech hypocritical?
Whats the point in free speech, if you can't even freely say anything without getting hurt.

I mean look at it, you'd have to been pretty dumb to feel accomplishment in something you had no part in and something that you have no control over right, hell i'd say thats cheating, and where i come from we play fair.

Is this whole notion of patriotism, just there to keep people fighting over nothing?
Since that's what patriotism is basically.

And this isn't an attack on america, i've seen more patriots who are from all around the place than anything, it's a general question, that applies to everyone around the globe.
edit on 9-9-2011 by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien because: (no reason given)

I completly agree! patriotism for your country is a brainwashing techneque that they have been using for decades. It keeps people in line, and lets countries get away with things they normally would not get away with.

Also patriotism for your country is the reason why we, as a race still deal in tribal warfare. Its a horrible thing, but so many people are brainwahsed by it, that its not going to change any time soon

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Do you use public roads, visit state parks, use public transportation, or any service that was built in part with your tax dollars? Do you attend a university partially funded with tax dollars?

I don't mind paying taxes because I use the roads built with tax dollars to get to my job.

I also enjoy the sewer system attatched to my home that was built with tax dollars, and also the water supply connected using the same.

Let's just say I enjoy and take pride in what tax payers contribute to the lifestyle I live.

No man is an island unto himself. Pride and taxes are all part of being a society.

If you don't like that, and take no pride in it, then you need to be on an island by yourself.

Speak for yourself.
If you don't mind paying it, don't assume others, mind paying.
The university i go to, get's no government funded money.
The area where i grew up in, the government never used any of their stolen money to repair my disenfranchised area, and i see this in many other countries.
I don't recall the government helping anyone with that money, welfare cuts in michigan, look at Detroit and Compton and how run down they are, and this is all over the world.

It seems that the,well of and favored of society are patriotic, it's a pity they make up the majority, i see truth and justice aren't favored in this thread.

What's funny is that, what seems no one ever mentions this is that, the government can have their tax money printed by the federal reserve, if that whats we owe to them.

And you never pay in cash, it's always something initiated with your signature, check, money order, credit card, debt card.
It was never finance related, it's about them exercising their tyrannical power, and fear to keep you in check, you seem to be doing their job for them though......patriot.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:54 AM
link   

I do not feel special whatsoever being born in America, though I am happy I was. Blessed comes to mind. I have had opportunities here that never would have been available elsewhere.

While I honor/respect the American flag, I do not think it is the end all or be all of Allegiance. But I rather pledge allegiance to the people for whom it represents…if that makes sense. A Country full of bickering, mostly kind hearted people. I wouldn’t want it any other way. But I try to help where I can, when I can, regardless of where someone is from.

I don’t know if this is hypocritical, I don’t think so at least. But I will fight for someone’s right to bad mouth me or whatever organization. But when it comes to bad mouthing me to my face…well, that may well be a different story.
Then it is personal.

The thing that irks me though is that our Government is intangled throughout the world, always trying to "Help"
when our own house is a mess.

I'm not a isolationist, but if the US were to truly help others, we need to get our own house in order first.

And before anyone attacks me for being greedy/isolationist, I believe that we should always help those who have suffered from Natural disasters.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by RadeonGFXRHumanGTXisAlien
[
Speak for yourself.
If you don't mind paying it, don't assume others, mind paying.
The university i go to, get's no government funded money.
The area where i grew up in, the government never used any of their stolen money to repair my disenfranchised area, and i see this in many other countries.
I don't recall the government helping anyone with that money, welfare cuts in michigan, look at Detroit and Compton and how run down they are, and this is all over the world.

Unfortunately, there are some run down areas, basically due to mega corporations not keeping up with trends that meet the demands of the consumer. The vehicles my household use are 11 and 13 years old. We have no plans on replacing them any time soon. The US government did in fact bail out some of these corporations but consumers are still by and large not satisfied with the products that are available. In my opinion, these companies should have been left to completely fail. So what you said above is a lie. The government should not have become involved in private corporations this way, but they did. It is the fault of these corporations that the areas in Michigan you highlighted are in the condition they are in.

It seems that the,well of and favored of society are patriotic, it's a pity they make up the majority, i see truth and justice aren't favored in this thread.

Well, once again, as I said above, the government did bail out some of the above areas you spoke of, or did you forget that?

What's funny is that, what seems no one ever mentions this is that, the government can have their tax money printed by the federal reserve, if that whats we owe to them.

And you never pay in cash, it's always something initiated with your signature, check, money order, credit card, debt card.
It was never finance related, it's about them exercising their tyrannical power, and fear to keep you in check, you seem to be doing their job for them though......patriot.

And speak for yourself in regards to the above. I do not EVER use anything but cash. If I can't afford what I want without doing so, guess what? I don't make the purchase. This is something I learned to do from my parents who were depression era children. How easily some people forget the past, what our parents, grandparents, etc. went through with no government assistance AT ALL!!!!! That is what made this country what it is today, the work of MY ancestors, and of whom I am extremely proud. The fact that they made it easier for peole like you to expect government handouts is what's wrong!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Unfortunately, there are some run down areas, basically due to mega corporations not keeping up with trends that meet the demands of the consumer.

Please explain this if you don't mind.

The US government did in fact bail out some of these corporations but consumers are still by and large not satisfied with the products that are available. In my opinion, these companies should have been left to completely fail. So what you said above is a lie. The government should not have become involved in private corporations this way, but they did. It is the fault of these corporations that the areas in Michigan you highlighted are in the condition they are in.

What did he say that was a lie??? He wasn't advocating bailouts, he was talking about our taxes not being spent wisely. Are you saying bailouts are or aren't a good idea, I'm a little confused by how you worded this post. The way I understand bailouts, I believe they just dig us a deeper and deeper hole. And I believe it's all done by design.

Also don't understand how it's the fault of corporations that roads and buildings are left in disrepair. Taxes are supposed to ensure this doesn't happen.

p.s. maybe it's time for everyone to learn how to do something other than CONSUME.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

But you have the choice to join a team, therefore you can feel proud, when you win, since you've have helped.

and you have a choice as to which country you live in.

apathy has created the situation we are in right now. no one cares enough about politics and their rights. being patriotic doesn't mean unquestioning loyalty. it means you give a damn about what happens to your country.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Yes, patriotism is a force for manipulating and controlling the weak, just like religion.

The most patriotic people are the ones who have no ability to achieve anything meaningful in life-

Or the very successful who gained money or power from their society.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by CB328

Yes, patriotism is a force for manipulating and controlling the weak, just like religion.

The most patriotic people are the ones who have no ability to achieve anything meaningful in life-

Or the very successful who gained money or power from their society.

Aint that the truth.
It's mainly the simple minded who are patriotic.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

But you have the choice to join a team, therefore you can feel proud, when you win, since you've have helped.

apathy has created the situation we are in right now. no one cares enough about politics and their rights. being patriotic doesn't mean unquestioning loyalty. it means you give a damn about what happens to your country.

I understand why the world is in it's current state, and it's that exact way of thinking.
But if that's what you believe, then as you wish.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

you cant spell patriotism without the word riot, just saying.

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz

Certainly not a "free" choice.. economically and bureaucratically.. If people could just leave, for free, I'd been gone a long time ago.. there are small peaceful nations where people dont even know wtf a republican or democrat is.. or a patriot act, DUI check points, and the best part: no US corporate media. personal amounts.of drugs are legal, men & women are free to barter for personal time spent together..

There are all kinds of personal freedoms Americans do not enjoy.. available in other countries not per-occupied with slaughtering innocent people.

Imagine if we could just leave... how many pot smoking hooker lovers would be in Amsterdam? how many speed freaks would re-locate to the autobahn?.. I guarantee you people would up and leave in an instant to follow their own path.. plant hating hooker haters are more than welcome to huddle up where-ever.

...and as a newborn, I wasn't offered a 'choice' where to be born.. otherwise I would have begged my parents to doink on a tropical island.

What do you mean by "your country".. like "my country"?.. I don't own or operate a nation, no country I know of will submit or admit to being mine. I care more about my car frankly.. it is actually "mine", kinda,...and it serves a useful purpose in my life... it also doesn't lie to me about why strangers must die or give me crap if I come home smelling like another car.. lol

posted on Sep, 11 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   

reply to post by greenWeenie

Exactly. I take pride in my country because I don't have to live in another country where millions of people have less.

You're "proud" because you don't have to live.. yup, sounds about as yeehaawwl patriotic as it gets.

I'm proud of my personal tangible real accomplishments because they took hard work on my part.. the uplifting feeling of pride imo is a personal thing.. a self reward for accomplishing a goal / task.

Dad humping mom wasn't my doing.. lol what sense of honest "pride" can I possibly muster for something I had zero to do with?.. except fake nationalistic emotional pride.

If leaving the US was free and easy.. who wouldn't go explore the planet and experience different cultures?.. just for the soul nourishing heck of it?.. only a freaky dullard would cultishly cling to one specific area & ignore all the world has to offer...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join