It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Longshoremen storm Wash. state port, damage RR

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Longshoremen storm Wash. state port, damage RR

news.yahoo.com

LONGVIEW, Wash. (AP) — Hundreds of Longshoremen stormed the Port of Longview early Thursday, overpowered and held security guards, damaged railroad cars, and dumped grain that is the center of a labor dispute, said Longview Police Chief Jim Duscha.
Six guards were held hostage for a couple of hours after 500 or more Longshoremen broke down gates about 4:30 a.m. and smashed windows in the guard shack, he said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.theblaze.com

edit on 8-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: One of the links was nonsense upon further reflection.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
I did three various searches and cannot believe that this hasn’t been posted.

Further on the article it states, The blockade appeared to defy a federal restraining order issued last week against the union after it was accused of assaults and death threats.

Where are the Pinkertons when we need them? Unions are fast becoming the beast that which they once fought against. Do they not see that every time things like this makes the news it further alienates their fellow Americans.

news.yahoo.com
edit on 8-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: Methinks my keyboard needs new batteries

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this.

Longview is less than 30 minutes away. Not only do I make it a point to pay close attention to local news but I used to swim for one of the high schools in Longview and still have many friends in the area.

Strange.
Thanks for the post!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by fasteronfire

My sister lives up in the Edmonds area and she hadn't heard anything about it either.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I did three various searches and cannot believe that this hasn’t been posted.

Further on the article it states, The blockade appeared to defy a federal restraining order issued last week against the union after it was accused of assaults and death threats.

Where are the Pinkertons when we need them? Unions are fast becoming the beast that which they once fought against. Do they not see that every time things like this makes the news it further alienates their fellow Americans.

news.yahoo.com
edit on 8-9-2011 by TDawgRex because: Methinks my keyboard needs new batteries

Did you ever stop to think the reason why the unions are acting like this is because the companies have become the beast the unions once fought against? Companies are starting to treat people like slaves again and people are getting fed up with it.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Apparently, more than a few people took what Hoffa said quite seriously and don't have qualms about the use of violence to achieve their Union goals. Dangerous times...and leaders who are all but encouraging this.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

None of the Union people I know would do these sort of actions and actually hate their current leadership. But they have also told,"What am I supposed to do? I have to put food on the table." One of those guys makes $25.00 a hour sweeping floors at the Ford plant, because he has seniority. Really? I'd do that for $15.00 a hour and save the company some cash.

If a company treats their employees like dirt, there are other means to bring light on to a dark situation, rather than violence, vandalism and death threats.

There are plenty of skilled people out there who would gladly work union free...last I checked 14 million of 'em. Heck, they just want a job, union or not.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

Did you ever stop to think the reason why the unions are acting like this is because the companies have become the beast the unions once fought against? Companies are starting to treat people like slaves again and people are getting fed up with it.

Actually, the company wnated to hire workers from another union and the Longshoremen didn't like it. The company was not union busting--they just had a better deal from another union. But longshoremen don't like competition. They prefer a monopoly. They make on the order of $90,000 per year with unbelieveable benefits. So when they don't get their way they destroy property, take hostages, carry around baseball bats and axe handles, then say they are being mistreated.

I don't see how thios company is any way treating people like "slaves." That's absurd.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   
maybe the grain is radioactive,,
anyone think too check it,,
with a guiger counter
before spreading it
alll around,,
everywhere?

where was the Bill of Lading"
FOB or COD?

hmmmmm
ohh ever hear of #ushima,,
7 months now,,yup 7 months,,

hmmmmm

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Did you ever stop to consider the situation?

People treat themselves like slaves. When you take out loans and unsecured debt to the point where your income is tied up in debt payments as a matter of course, then try to treat your boss as though he/she is treating you like a slave because you can't afford to change jobs (regardless of your source of dissatisfaction)... who is the slave to whom?

People in this nation have allowed themselves to become enslaved in debt and have passed the blame off on their employers. The reason they feel locked into their jobs is because they are locked into debt payments brought about by attempting to live at impractical standards of living for the income earned.

The fact is that union powers have been undermined by this phenomena. Where a peaceful strike could be used to send a clear message to an employer (or end in failure with the hiring of other workers.... part of the free market) - many members can no longer afford to strike (and union dues so poorly managed that they can't be relied upon for any kind of support).

So, instead, we get violence from people who feel trapped and abused, yet fail to understand the source of their problems (which will not end so long as they continue to live the way that they do, regardless of who employs them or what union they are part of).

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

According to KIRO news radio (which has been reporting on this story all day) The Longshoremen are refuuting a year plus battle against a smaller union taking contract upon the machine operation jobs that once belonged to the longshore union. In this economy... I would be PO'ed too, had I been a longshoreman.

What gets at me is that now the Fed gov is deciding to charge all 500'ish protesters with domestic terrorism! That, my friend is the powers that be's way into making our situation a lot more marshall. Think about it...

Link is at KIRO.... I'm on ny phone so I'm not even able to copy n paste... well I can, but it's a pain in my arse.... so look it up

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
One thing to keep in mind the Yahoo source is off the AP wire, the AP is part of the main stream media, and all big media in this country is controlled by the "owners" of this country.
The Longshoreman tell a different tale :

“Everyone came to the tracks on their own free will to stand up for justice and protect good jobs in this community, said ILWU President Bob McEllrath, who stood with the volunteers on Wednesday afternoon. “It shouldn’t be a crime to fight for good jobs in America.” Police in riot gear charged the group of peaceful protesters, which included women and children, injuring several in the process. When volunteers stood their ground, police retreated and the train was backed-off. As of 6pm, it was unclear if the BNSF Railroad would continue to attempt another delivery or stand down. The controversial grain terminal is owned and operated by EGT – a consortium of companies that includes North America, South Korea-based STX Pan Ocean and Japan-based Itochu Corporation

Source:www.ilwu.org...
Which one is true? I don't know I wasn't there, but there's their side of the story.

Where are the Pinkertons when you need them? Trust me, they're there, they might not have the same name and they might not use the same tactics but they're there. Why crack skulls and shoot people in the back when you can do more damage with a good PR firm? The pen is mightier than the sword. Why do you think people have negative attitudes towards things like organised labor when it runs contrary to their economic interests? That doesn't mean that the lust for blood still isn't there.

Sometimes, threats of violence cause damage to union members or supporters. Other times, threats against unions or their members may backfire. For example, Indiana Deputy Attorney General Jeffrey Cox was fired after suggesting that Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker should use live ammunition against pro-union protesters involved in the 2011 Wisconsin protests. More recently, a Deputy Prosecutor in Indiana's Johnson County, Carlos Lam, suggested that Governor Walker should mount a "false flag" operation which would make it appear as if the union was committing violence. After initially claiming that his email account was hacked, Lam admitted to sending the suggestion and resigned.[97][98]

Source:en.wikipedia.org...

None of the Union people I know would do these sort of actions and actually hate their current leadership. But they have also told,"What am I supposed to do? I have to put food on the table." One of those guys makes $25.00 a hour sweeping floors at the Ford plant, because he has seniority. Really? I'd do that for $15.00 a hour and save the company some cash.

Why stop there? I can go pick up some guy at the Home Depot who'll do it for 15.00 a day, think of all the money that would save the company!

It's a free market capitalist economy right? If your selling widgets in a market the price of those widgets is determined by where the supply and demand curves intersect. Labor is a market subject to macroeconomic forces, there is supply and demand, the intersection of these two points is known as the equilibrium wage, this is what unions try to bargain for. No company can afford to overpay it's workers, don't let yourself get BS'ed. Companies are out to maximize their profits, why shouldn't workers try to maximize their earnings? Would you let anyone else cheat you ? Would you sell your car for 2 grand cheaper than what it's worth?

I'm not picking a fight with you TDawg, I enjoy all your posts, I just have to respectfully disagree with you on this issue.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by forall2see

Thanks...and here it is from a local news perspective.

www.kirotv.com...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
Yep go unions. Just another fine example of thugs and how they act.
This country is doomed with that kind of mentality. Just like the recent verizion strike in my neck of the woods, they started cutting peoples lines. These people need their heads examined.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
maybe the grain is radioactive,,
with a guiger counter
before spreading it
alll around,,
everywhere?

where was the Bill of Lading"
FOB or COD?

hmmmmm
ohh ever hear of #ushima,,
7 months now,,yup 7 months,,

hmmmmm

HELLO AMERICAN PEOPLE,,HELLO,,,ANYONE LISTENING??

The controversial grain terminal is owned and operated by EGT – a consortium of companies that includes North America, South Korea-based STX Pan Ocean and Japan-based Itochu Corporation

Japan-based Itochu Corporation,,,,maybe the grain is radioactive,,
with a guiger counter
before spreading it
alll around,,
everywhere?

HELLO AMERICAN PEOPLE,,HELLO,,,ANYONE LISTENING?? ,,HELLO AMERICAN PEOPLE,,HELLO,,,ANYONE LISTENING??

edit on 8-9-2011 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by jlv70

It's all good. I just get irritated when things like this happen. Just as I get angry when I see Police using excessive force. I agree with many of your points actually, as well as AIM64's. I'm sure we all know many people who have over extended themselves, so it would be natural to try to protect your job.

But will the intimidation stop once a company acquiesces? Or will it just continue every time a contract is up for arbitration?

As for selling my $2000.00 dollar vehicle for less. Don't remind me, I had to let my beloved 4x4 Ranger go very cheap, so I could make ends meet this past month due to unforeseen circumstances. Still got my Jeep though and hopefully will be back on my feet soon again within a month or two..

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I worked longshoring when I was a kid,what a joke every 15 minutes a whistle would blow,one of like 5 unions would get their break,I think in 8 hrs 4 hrs of work was accomplished,and I made 285.00 a day,this is in 1971,now they make over 100k a year,no need for even a GED,I certainly learned no skills,just how to break ope n containers and steal whats in them,no suprise they all have the mob attitude

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
Apparently, more than a few people took what Hoffa said quite seriously and don't have qualms about the use of violence to achieve their Union goals. Dangerous times...and leaders who are all but encouraging this.

Corporations have never had a problem using violence against their employees. Does the name Silkwood bring back any memories.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
reply to post by BubbaJoe

You need to go as far back as a movie from the seventies?
Union violence occurs at least weekly, and you go back nearly forty years to prove corporations use violence against employees?

What a joke, FORTY YEARS!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Oaktree

There is history of it, just the first thing that popped in my mind. Its late here, but will follow up with the documentation tomorrow. Even government troops have been used against organized labor.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join