It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stars and Flags

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
So I noticed today I obtained the ultimate power...I CAN FLAG! So now that I have this great power I have to figure out how to wisely use it. So my question is how do you guys give your stars and flags out.Do you only flag and star people you agree with or do you also star and flag people who have highly educated posts and threads that you may not agree with but are very well done. Do you horde your stars and flags and refuse to give anyone props. Maybe some throw there stars and flags out willy nilly. Just curious how other Ats'rs use this great power.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
i gave you a star and flag, for no reason whatsoever.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jrkelly77

It's kinda a double-edged sword. Realistically, I'd want to S&F someone who has obviously put a lot of effort into their post and clearly gets the point across whatever the subject is.. but it's natural to want to star someone who agrees with you, except I've noticed sometimes I'll star someone because they agree with me on one point, but then later on they disagree with me completely on another subject, and I would wish I could take my previous stars back.

Just how it is. They really don't mean anything anyways. To really understand someone's credibility, you'd have to go through each and every one of their posts and analyze, for yourself, just how reliable that person is.

No one's going to do that, so stars are fine.

link   

I'll give flags to the Op if he/she has put alot of effort and research in to their post even if I don't always agree with the content. Luckily there have been some great work from some ATS members with very well thought out posts.

I hand out stars when I agree with someone.

I wish we could have the opposite of a flag for the Op when they put little or no effort in to their post then expects the posters to do it all for him/her. I hate that.
edit on 7-9-2011 by bluemirage5 because: (no reason given)

link   
I give flags to any thread with the letters S and F in its title

I give stars only to girl avatars.

its a science

(ok, really, flags for interesting threads with depth or in my opinion deserve some notice...even if I don't necessarily agree with the premise, and stars for quality posts...not always quality posts I agree with, but someone whom clearly did their research or brought up a well thought out idea to further the thread along)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If I post in a thread, then it is automatically deemed - by me of course - to be flag-worthy (except for OPs using PRESS-TV as a source, those should go straight to the Hoax bin.) I usually star the OP as well, but any further posts have to stand on their own merit. Occasionally I choose not to participate in a thread, but I still star posts that entertain or educate me.

Now, what good are flags and stars? Not a clue mate, other than to give one a general sense of how well your thoughts are received. Personally, I'd like ATS to open up a virtual gift shop where we could trade in our stars and flags for T-shirts and coffee mugs.

edit on 9/7/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
but it's natural to want to star someone who agrees with you, except I've noticed sometimes I'll star someone because they agree with me on one point, but then later on they disagree with me completely on another subject, and I would wish I could take my previous stars back.

See, I actually rarely star people whom just chime in to agree with me unless they add to or somehow enhance the point being made.

As far as someone fully disagreeing with me, well, I don't star them as much, but thats because I am always right and they are therefore by default not helping in spreading the truth and understanding but instead rejecting solid logical debates

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Flag topics that you feel deserve more attention.

Star posts you feel deserve more attention.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
I will flag something if It is well written and documented and/or I believe people should read it... but if I don't agree with it..I wont star it.

I also flag if I think people need to read it because someone left a very good post other than the OP.

Peace

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I'm just so excited I get to flag topics now. So many things I've read on here that have been very educational and eye opening! Some of the time and commitment spent on some of these threads leave me amazed. Its nice to see people actually take the time to hunt down facts and self educate! So let the flagging begin

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
Rules rules...

If it is a thread I started, I give an obligatory star to anybody who responds without being a tard. If they are eloquently disagreeable, star even then.

I flag posts that I find interesting. Wether they allign with my view or not, I flag those who provoke productive thought.

In a thread that I might be reading, I star the posts that responded with a similar question or statement that I would have written had the point not been brought up.

I do my damndest not to feed the trolls. If I feel the absolute need to respond to a personal attack, I sum it up in one post, give a brief apology to the OP, and leave the troll to its vices.

I'm sure others have a different system.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
It's a knee-jerk reaction and I can't help it.

S & F

edit on 7-9-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I always flag people for effort and research. Although there are also times where I flag threads just because I enjoy the topic or because I enjoyed the discussion in the thread. I always star posts that have good points and that further the thread, although a star is mandatory if a flag is given in my opinion. I find a lot of the time people will flag threads if they agree with the title, this can be dangerous if people don't actually read the OP and makes it harder to find high quality threads.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Watch and learn op,

this post made me laugh.

Originally posted by neonitus
i gave you a star and flag, for no reason whatsoever.

I starred it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I will usually flag when:

1. I see a lot of research and thought in a thread even if I don't fully agree but it makes me think.

2. If I strongly agree.

3. I believe that more should see it and want to help the thread make to the front end so others will catch it before it disappears..happens way to often. Well laid out threads gone in about 5 minutes because of the board speed. A lot of work that many won't see.

4. The stars are for respect to the author or because I got a giggle...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrkelly77
I'm just so excited I get to flag topics now. So many things I've read on here that have been very educational and eye opening! Some of the time and commitment spent on some of these threads leave me amazed. Its nice to see people actually take the time to hunt down facts and self educate! So let the flagging begin

See? You get a star for that comment...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

And you get one because I generally like what you have to say in other threads.

edit on 9/8/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

I flag something if it's a good read and I think others would enjoy it, or the op makes some good points whether I agree or not.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by OldCorp

Originally posted by jude11

And you get one because I generally like what you have to say in other threads.

edit on 9/8/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

Well now the bar has been set higher...

Thanks!

Peace

posted on Mar, 4 2012 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by bluemirage5

A "burnt flag" maybe.?

new topics

top topics

join