It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Captured croc 'big enough to swallow 3 men'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   

Villagers capture world's largest crocodile

www.iol.co.za

Weighing a ton and measuring 21ft (about 6.4m) from snout to tail, it had terrorised villagers for months.

Thought to be the largest ever caught alive, it took 100 men to haul it to the bank of the creek where it had kept its menacing presence in the southern Philippines township of Bunawan.

As the beast was bound to a trailer to be taken to its new home, a theme park nearby, local mayor Edwin Elorde, pictured measuring the catch, said: “It is big enough to swallow three men all at once.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk

edit on 7-9-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
The article goes on to say:

The crocodile, which had evaded numerous previous attempts to catch it, dwarfs its nearest rival for the record of largest live capture, an 18ft beast now living in an Australian nature park.

But wildlife official Ron Sumilier, who set the steel trap that caught it, warned locals not to become too complacent, saying there could be a second, and even bigger beast still lurking in the creek.

From The Daily Mail :

Despite the suspected death of the fisherman, the crocodile is destined for fame.

It is expected to be the star attraction at a new eco-tourism park that is being set up in Agusan.

'It will be the biggest star of the park,' said Mr Elorde.

'The villagers, of course, are very happy that they have been able to turn this dangerous crocodile from a threat into an asset.'

But the 37,000 people who live in the region have been told not to rest on their laurels.

Many other large crocodiles remain in the rivers and people have been told not to venture into marsh areas alone at night.

Animals these days just seem to be getting bigger and bigger. It makes you wonder just what other undiscovered giant animals there are still out there .This should bring in a lot of tourists to the area.

www.iol.co.za
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Wow I literally just started downloading Rogue and Primeval! Two killer croc movies

Well, anyways. Cool post. I love real monsters too

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
Truly Large Animal. Alligators doesnt have anything on this.
edit on 7-9-2011 by Zeer0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
massive animals, dangerous visrues and mankind chomping resources....

Yup its about time for that meteor.

Ontopic directly, that is an absolutle beast of a croc, 21 feet long its just huuuuuuge.

Its jaws must be a meter long alone, i would not like to be death rolled by that.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Holy monkey thats a big Croc!! Im sure there are a few more out ther just as big or even bigger. Tho honestly Im not sure how much larger a creature can be.. Its amazing vid and pix. Thanx!

link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

It's a sign! The reptilians are coming! Run for your lives!

That thing is HUGE!

st.

link   

Posted Already Sept 7th 2011.

Probably not three men at once. More like two men and a half -- Maybe they can bring the crocodile onto that damn show, see how funny Sheen is staring down that 1 ton beast.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
croc my behind thats a freaking dino
amazing thats its almost a meter longer then the last record
love this kinda stuff
edit on 7-9-2011 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by icecold7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

(You can have a story in alternative breaking news and one other forum.)

It would be a great way to finally write him out of the show

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs

Pretty sure they already survived that

Ontopic directly, that is an absolutle beast of a croc, 21 feet long its just huuuuuuge.

Its jaws must be a meter long alone, i would not like to be death rolled by that.

Well to put it in perspective the croc in this horror flick is 25ft...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Dear god that is enormous. Dinosaurs are extinct? Nah..

Seriously though, I would hate to see that thing rub a dub dubbin with me in the tub.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Did you seriously just bring Elenin in to this?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ConspiraCity

Hey now this isnt a comet thread, just drawing a parrellel between this beast of a animal with that of the many times extinct past creatures of this planet, who died somhow.

Nothing gets past the fact that this reptile is like a land shark, 21 foot long peice of toothed armoured mussle, damn.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I felt that I should make this animal even more scary than it already is by introducing some facts about crocodiles...

Their bite is the strongest in the world measuring up to a jaw pressure of 5000 lbs per square inch.. That is enough to crush basically anything...

They can move on land at roughly 11 mph

Generally speaking a croc can leap about 3 meters out of the water..

Saltwater crocodiles can swim 15 to 18 miles per hour (6.7 to 8.0 m/s) in short bursts, but when cruising go 2 to 3 mph (0.9 to 1.3 m/s).

It usually waits for its prey to get close to the water's edge before striking, using its great strength to drag the animal back into the water. Most prey animals are killed by the great jaw pressure of the crocodile[citation needed], although some animals may be incidentally drowned. It is an extremely powerful animal. In one case, a 1 tonne Suffolk stallion known to haul over 2 tonnes was pulled into water to its demise by a large male crocodile.[8] A large croc can crush a full-grown bovid's skull between its jaws. Its typical hunting technique is known as the "death roll": it grabs onto the animal and rolls powerfully. This throws any struggling large animal off balance, making it easier to drag it into the water. The "death roll" is also used for tearing apart large animals once they are dead.

Source

Now all this applies to a normal salt water croc.... Being the world's biggest I'm not sure where it's numbers would be.....
edit on 7-9-2011 by DaMod because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   
8 meter a second bust speed is truly horrifiying.

Lets say your in a swamp cruising in an air boat, you see somthing a swimming pool length ahead (25 meters), if that 'somthing' was a submerged huge croc, in the time you go 3 meter foreward slow at a meter a sec, it dashes toward you at 8 meters a second - You have at best 3 seconds to do somthing so wont get you eaten..... BLAM!!

Thats mad fast in the moment, soooo nasty.

You seen the tiger leaping at a human mounted elephant? *link underneath*, really makes you think what such powerful aniumals can really do in the moment.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

reply to post by ConspiraCity

Hey now this isnt a comet thread, just drawing a parrellel between this beast of a animal with that of the many times extinct past creatures of this planet, who died somhow.

Which was my point. They didn't die. They survived that situation before.

dinosaurs.about.com...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Biigs

Have you seen the movie Rogue I linked earlier? It is a 25ft according to the movie.

Do you think it's a realistic portrayal? In the movie it wasn't an air boat, but the croc was able to charge it and knock it over. If you haven't seen it I would suggest it. Pretty good flick for what it is.

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
That's impressive. Im pretty sure its not the biggest tho. The cryptozoology forum has a 24 ft. Dating back to 2007

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by gossipnancy

I think its the largest ever caught alive.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join