It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mich. governor signs 48-month welfare limit

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmcgee

I am not just talking about companies that advertise as work from home. There are legitimate businesses who now used people working at home for things like customer service.

There is a company that you U can Haul things with that pays people to work from home doing customer service.

There is also an airline that flies all over the Air above the US that has people working from home, as well.

I have several friends who do work for physicians at home......the list could go on and on if you use your imagination!

It doesn't hurt to ask, so if there is a company that you would like to work for, just call them and speak to the human resources department.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by redbarron626
I will jump in here and say," Where have you people been?" There are 40 states that have welfare limitation statutes and 17 of them have less than 60 months. This is old old old news and i really cannot believe that no one here has even taken the time to look and see if this was a first or if this is just Michigan catching up.

TANF itself has a 5 year limitation to limit long term welfare abuse.

Here are some links to info about welfare limitations..

www.mdrc.org...

www.policyalmanac.org...
edit on 7-9-2011 by redbarron626 because: to add another 2 cents

Good information, however, that was under the Clinton Administration Welfare Reform Law, note the date on the link. When Obama got elected, with the first stimulus bill he signed, he changed the Clinton Law and basically there is no limits anymore, again, it's back the way it used to be.

From your first link: July 2002

From your second link: TANF comes up for reauthorization by Congress in 2002

www.heritage.org...

blog.heritage.org...

From the beginning we’ve warned you that President Barack Obama’s Trillion Dollar Debt Plan will not stimulate the economy, but will instead permanently expand the size and power of the welfare state. There is perhaps no better example of this than the provisions in the bill which abolish the successful welfare reforms passed on a true bipartisan basis by President Bill Clinton in 1996.

online.wsj.com...

The Return of Welfare As We Knew It
The House stimulus bill endangers Clinton's biggest reform.

Currently, welfare recipients are limited to a total of five years of federal benefits over a lifetime. They're also required to begin working after two years of government support. States are accountable for helping their needy citizens transition from handouts to self-sufficiency. Critically, the funds provided to states are fixed appropriations by the federal government.

Through a little noticed provision of the stimulus package that has passed the House of Representatives, the bill creates a fund for TANF that is open-ended -- the same way Medicare and Social Security are.

www.washingtontimes.com...

RECTOR: Secretly ending welfare reform

The stimulus bill will overturn the fiscal foundation of welfare reform and restore an AFDC-style funding system. For the first time since 1996, the federal government will begin paying states bonuses to increase their welfare caseloads.

And we all know it was passed, and there, in bold, you know why.

A lot of things got passed in stimulus bills and the like that most people don't know about. Some current information rather than dated information is only fair to this thread.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Why is it so easy for everyone to just step on the "little people"???

Are there people who scam welfare? Absolutely. Does every single person receiving it scam the government? NO.

You know, people should stop and look at our current employment situation out there. ESPECIALLY in Michigan. To say "oh you and your family can only get 4 years of Welfare assistance for life and thats it" is disgusting. How about to cover that whopping $64 million (a mere DROP in the economic problems) we start forcing the corporations who skate the tax laws to pay up? How about instead of allowing corporations to offshore all of their jobs we don't? How about instead of having so much red tape in business, that companies have no choice to go offshore, we stop and make it easier for businesses to develop HERE????

Everyone wants to piss on the poor it seems. They are our problem right? Well... I went from making about $90k a year as a computer programmer to making NOTHING. I've been out of work since November 23, 2010. Thats a long time to be out of work. I also have a 9 year old son who I take care of. By the grace of god my parents are generous enough to let us live with them until something comes along. Without them, I would be homeless and so would my son. Should they take the attitude of "tough #, you've been here long enough get out"??

Of course some will say "oh go get a job working minimum wage.". Right. Let me go get a job working for $7.15 an hour and try and afford a home in NYS. MINIMUM rent for a one bedroom apartment on Long Island is around $1300 a month, not including electric. $7.15 an hour? I'd have to work 1000 hours a month just to afford anything. And you know what else? I've already tried applying there. I don't know how it is where YOU live but McDonalds in NY looks more like Taco Bell.

But lets not forget that all those illegal immigrants are doing the jobs we Americans don't want. Right? Remember?

So yeah lets just shove the poor into the street. Oh we'll just let those big ol' corporations still get away with RAPING the nation. Hell maybe we should throw more money at em. But help the poor? Please. Let em die.

Some people make me absolutely sick.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Originally posted by WarminIndy

Actually I am working at home. I am a trained writer, thank you for noticing how well I write. I write screenplays and have been involved in making films. Thank you for noticing my work ethic.

By the way, I am also working on my Master's thesis for college. That is exciting for me. And I have MS as well. Although I don't mow lawns because it is hard to push a mower with a wheelchair, but thanks for bringing your husband's plight up to me.

I don't get SSDI. And I don't use my disability as an excuse. And yes, I could work in an office, I have thought of that as well. I did go work at Wal-Mart but could only work there for several months before it became difficult to maneuver around. Sounds to me like you need to address the problems you have with your husband.

Well this is all terrific. What a great example for people who you think take advantage of the welfare system. It's nice to see what people can do, rather than just judge them, right? You have shown what determination can do, given your illness. My husband knows that I think he is capable of more. He feels entitled, so suffers from terminal boredom more so than his illness.

The weather is much cooler now so I think I can go out and find something to do, perhaps in the office like you suggested. That would be wonderful. But wait, darn it, I am a writer and write at home. I am also involved in making several documentary films, perhaps next year you would like to pay the ticket price to see them in the theater? That would be nice if you could contribute to my cause. Would you like to know how to make a film? I could teach you and then you could pay me for teaching you. But not every person can be a writer, and this is the talent I have been imparted and indued with. So thank you for noticing how well I write, I will take it as a compliment and perhaps when I write a film about people who spend their days posting in conspiracy theory threads, I will remember your advice.

Thanks for your offer of teaching me. My father worked in the film industry his entire life, and I could probably teach you a thing or two based on all the summers I spent working as an apprentice for him.

As for writing, while it isn't my forte, it runs in my family. My older brother has a community newspaper in Chicago, and just shut down a magazine he started more than 20 years ago.

The whole point is, it's easy to be judgemental, rather than give people who are on welfare examples of now how to be, like you just did in your reply to me here. It is inspirational.

It's not fair to judge a whole class of people receiving those benefits based on what you encounter at the bus stop. I sometimes used public transportation rather than fight traffic, parking, etc. Some bus stop people are a breed unto themselves, and just because some of them are on welfare, should not be indicative of all the rest who are.

You probably could teach me about film, and I am always trying to learn more than I know. But my judgment was not based on what I see, but from experience. I grew up on welfare because my parents were lazy. My dad worked a total of three jobs, only for a year at a time, since I was a baby until I went to college. I am well aware of what welfare does to children. He was a drunk and he used drugs. My mother was neglectful and would not take care of us children.

When I grew up and worked I noticed more people who decided to live on welfare and then do nothing all day long but play and then spent the weekends going to bars while their children were pawned off onto other people. I saw it over and over and over again, some of these people even came to live in my home while my husband and I tried to help them. One young lady said McDonalds was beneath her to work at, but chose to marry a man who lived in a low income apartment and did not go to work because he liked to sit at home all day. She chose welfare, even though she grew up in a family that had money. These are only a few examples.

So yes, my post was judgmental and was intended to be so. People who are really leeches need to understand that what they are doing is not honorable and they have no integrity at all.

While your father was hard at work in the film industry, my father was high on drugs playing Pac-Man all day while complaining about men like your father. I am giving you a real example here of the mentality of these people because I grew up in it. I chose not to live like that and worked. What I tell you is from a deep understanding and I think I have the right to say the truth about the matter. By the way, my dad called men like your dad an elitist. And that is how most leeches on welfare really do think of people who work to support them and their children.

I am judgmental, but someone has to speak the truth about these people.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

And thank you for thinking I was inspirational. I am merely doing what I am supposed to do. Please don't think I am against you, I just wanted you to understand that my judgment only comes from experience, nothing more.

I hated welfare, I hated only getting clothes from people who were throwing them away and decided to "donate" them to us. I hated getting Christmas presents from places like the Moose Lodge because my dad drank away all the money and was selfish. I hated free lunches. I hated not going to places like normal children got to go to. I hated the visits from Social Workers who did nothing to help.

Life is never easy for a welfare child, that is why I am so judgmental because I felt the pain they go through when their parents could do better but don't.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's sad to see someone so greedy. Do you know how much cast assistance is? Only 200$ a month. Barely enough to get by with if you are staying at the homeless shelter. And he states that he will let people stay on it if they are disabled? If you are disabled you then get ssi which is more than cash assistance,making cash assistance obsolete to the person.

It's pretty sad to see people handle things. When they have no idea how the mechanics of the system work.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Yes, like you say, by your example, there are people who choose to make a career out of receiving welfare, rather than working. However, there are some out there who for the life of them never thought that they would be on it, but now find themselves in the situation.

As you know, in your own fickle industry that you work in, sometimes it's just luck, and thank goodness you can feed yourself during the lean times. Some people are not so lucky.

Nobody is guaranteed a job for any length of time anymore, like my father or brother, and even grandfather who were lucky enough to enjoy their careers for life. Most states are right to work states where you can be fired for looking at somebody the wrong way.

While experience can surely make for a jaded viewpoint, these are not the days when your father made a descision to live his life this way. Hard working honest people who never even thought they would come close to being connected to welfare except for the taxes they pay, now are needing what they have paid into.

Some people do want to work, or go to school, etc......just don't know where to find resources and a way out.

Once again, instead of labelling them all, possibly people can be making suggestions to people who do want to get off the rolls, rather than lumping them in with the people who will never even try.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   
Now that i think of it. This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Women collecting child,the man is paying the cash assistance check. All women i have ever met spend the money on another guys rent or drugs for another guy.

Good job on that aspect of this.

I cannot stand leaching horrors.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by DerekJR321

Was waiting for someone to mention this.......and no one is suggesting that corporations should get away with what they have been doing, paying no taxes, off shoring jobs.

The simply fact is that the bucks has to stop somewhere, and four years is more enough time to find employment....and if it is a family with a bunch of kids, well TOUGH. Should have thought of that while you were making them. The system, in part, is being brought down by people who feel they have no personal responsibility, that big government will look after me.

As to your personal situation, I feel for you, I myself have a university degree - and had to move outside my field to find work.
edit on 8-9-2011 by MidnightTide because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I think I'm moving to Michigan...oh wait that's where Detroit is...hmmm does the good outweigh the bad? Ummm I don't know?

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blanca Rose

Yes, like you say, by your example, there are people who choose to make a career out of receiving welfare, rather than working. However, there are some out there who for the life of them never thought that they would be on it, but now find themselves in the situation.

As you know, in your own fickle industry that you work in, sometimes it's just luck, and thank goodness you can feed yourself during the lean times. Some people are not so lucky.

Nobody is guaranteed a job for any length of time anymore, like my father or brother, and even grandfather who were lucky enough to enjoy their careers for life. Most states are right to work states where you can be fired for looking at somebody the wrong way.

While experience can surely make for a jaded viewpoint, these are not the days when your father made a descision to live his life this way. Hard working honest people who never even thought they would come close to being connected to welfare except for the taxes they pay, now are needing what they have paid into.

Some people do want to work, or go to school, etc......just don't know where to find resources and a way out.

Once again, instead of labelling them all, possibly people can be making suggestions to people who do want to get off the rolls, rather than lumping them in with the people who will never even try.

This is an actual discussion on the topic, and while we may never agree totally on all points, we can agree that no one should have to end up on welfare if there are other alternatives that they know are available to them. While there are many who are multi-generation welfare recipients, it broke my heart the other day when I saw a man who is in the National Guard with his wife who has to get Medicaid and food stamp benefits. That to me was the most hurtful thing to think our military men are treated like they are to the point they need this help.

Not all people are the same, some work and some refuse to work. That is how it has been since the beginning. And there are very few people who are willfully on welfare who will even listen to people like me or try to do better for themselves and their children. Those are the people I am speaking about because they are the ones who are like my parents and they call me an elitist. I have even been called bourgeoisie by the same ones. I like different music, have different interests and drink better beer than them and many of the people I grew up with that called me "white trash" are surprised to see me today and I have even gotten a few apologies from them. But would they have apologized to me if I stayed the same? Not likely.

Yes, I grew up not only with the stigma of welfare, but also the jeers and taunts of neighbors who say the same things I have said. The difference is that I am not making fun of people on welfare, I am just tired of the excuses from those who can do better.

The whole system has imploded and there is no easy fix.So what to do? Talking about it solves little. What this nation needs is more doctors, nurses and teachers, so we need to see more children lining up at college doors than stand in line for American Idol auditions. Education is the only way out, but many children are seeing their hopes dashed as jobs are taken away and there is no more work ethic. I have encouraged many of my friends' children to look beyond themselves and into the future and study for jobs that will help them. One little boy I knew was excellent at putting together those stick toys they make buildings from. I don't have my own children so the toys, I don't know what they are called. But this little boy who showed me this thing with so much pride in his eyes, I said he would make an excellent architect. His mother said no, that he should get a job in computers. Another mother told me she was not going to push her children to do well in school because they would only rebel and get pregnant. There is always going to be a need for architects and the girls ended up in jail for possession of drugs and shoplifting.

Sometimes, I offer them bit roles in films because I think it encourages them to look beyond their current life and that doing so is ok. Education, that is the only way to fix this problem. Welfare kids need to have someone tell them that and believe in them.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 07:54 PM
link   
LOL I want to know one thing:

Where are the poor to get this money to move to another welfare state????? Most on welfare are flat broke after paying rent and bills and such, usually a week or so before they get their next check. And anyway, to get cash assistance is ridiculously hard.

When I was talked into getting on food stamps (please see my post on page 6 or 7 before dogging me. I had to be begged to get on them and I'm finally working now 17 hours a week at 8.25/hr) I had NO job period and my son just turned 16. I couldn't even get cash assistance at all. Period. My friend who was living in a barn homeless got on food stamps and couldn't even get cash assistance. I don't know the rules for getting it, but it's balls hard if even a single mother unemployed or a homeless person can't get it.

Point is, where are they to get this miracle money to move house, set up a new residence and then reapply and HOPE they get on welfare? Think before posting.

As I said in my initial post, people are so fast to point out the ''obvious solution" - and believe me you, I used to think the same way - just get a job anywhere, just go to school and learn, just just just just" - until I MYSELF ended up jobless and desperate. Instead of selling drugs or myself like a few would, I ate saltines with my son for a few weeks (5-6 to be exact) not wanting the stigma of foodstamps. Like I said, I was begged to get on by friends.

anyway. Think before posting. And to the guy who said "If I lost my 50k a year job, I'd get two jobs in fast food and do surveys online and make ends meet", good luck getting over 15-20 hours a week AND finding a second job. If it was that easy, I'd have a second job as /IM/ only making 17 hrs a week min wage. And I'm in college online for my bachelors degree in animation and web/graphic design. Something I may not find work in when I graduate because of LOLEconomy. Oh and surveys pay like 2 pennies per survey and they take sometimes 30 minutes to do. THAT'S NOT A JOB.

So don't have all the great answers. They /are/ great answers. Too bad they aren't realistic.

Go to school! = to do what? get in more debt upon leaving and having to work pt fast food? and then become homeless cuz you can't afford to pay sallie mae back?
Move somewhere else where more jobs are = with what money????????
etc etc etc.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
LOL I want to know one thing:

Where are the poor to get this money to move to another welfare state????? Most on welfare are flat broke after paying rent and bills and such, usually a week or so before they get their next check. And anyway, to get cash assistance is ridiculously hard.

When I was talked into getting on food stamps (please see my post on page 6 or 7 before dogging me. I had to be begged to get on them and I'm finally working now 17 hours a week at 8.25/hr) I had NO job period and my son just turned 16. I couldn't even get cash assistance at all. Period. My friend who was living in a barn homeless got on food stamps and couldn't even get cash assistance. I don't know the rules for getting it, but it's balls hard if even a single mother unemployed or a homeless person can't get it.

Point is, where are they to get this miracle money to move house, set up a new residence and then reapply and HOPE they get on welfare? Think before posting.

As I said in my initial post, people are so fast to point out the ''obvious solution" - and believe me you, I used to think the same way - just get a job anywhere, just go to school and learn, just just just just" - until I MYSELF ended up jobless and desperate. Instead of selling drugs or myself like a few would, I ate saltines with my son for a few weeks (5-6 to be exact) not wanting the stigma of foodstamps. Like I said, I was begged to get on by friends.

anyway. Think before posting. And to the guy who said "If I lost my 50k a year job, I'd get two jobs in fast food and do surveys online and make ends meet", good luck getting over 15-20 hours a week AND finding a second job. If it was that easy, I'd have a second job as /IM/ only making 17 hrs a week min wage. And I'm in college online for my bachelors degree in animation and web/graphic design. Something I may not find work in when I graduate because of LOLEconomy. Oh and surveys pay like 2 pennies per survey and they take sometimes 30 minutes to do. THAT'S NOT A JOB.

So don't have all the great answers. They /are/ great answers. Too bad they aren't realistic.

Go to school! = to do what? get in more debt upon leaving and having to work pt fast food? and then become homeless cuz you can't afford to pay sallie mae back?
Move somewhere else where more jobs are = with what money????????
etc etc etc.

The only thing I can say is to tell your son to never give up. You are the type of person the lady above me was defending. Animation is a good field, although it is hard work and hard to get into. So how about we do the whole networking thing and when I need you to design my movie posters and cd covers, I will be happy to hire your services or even mention your name. I am a member of the Indiana Filmmakers Network.

Don't ever give up. And remember, if you can't find a job, you can make one. After all, that is what Pixar did and almost ruined Disney when it came to animated films.

Can you do storyboards? I do not draw so well and mine look like crap. Because you are still in college, you need to network more. I guess you could send me a private message to my email here and I will see what I can do to help. It may not be much help and it certainly won't pay at first, but at least your name will be out there.If you don't feel comfortable because I am a stranger and you just got a response on a post, then don't. That is ok. But I will encourage you to never give up. There is always hope.

If you are as good as you hope your talent is, then you should have opportunity just like I did. Get that degree. Stay in school and get it. Show your son that things are worth working for.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

I definitely want to get my network as big as I can, actually, so your offer is amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I already talk with Jon Schnepp (he has done animation for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network - Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken and the like) quite a lot, so I have him, his friends and now you as well.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

The only thing I can say is to tell your son to never give up. You are the type of person the lady above me was defending. Animation is a good field, although it is hard work and hard to get into. So how about we do the whole networking thing and when I need you to design my movie posters and cd covers, I will be happy to hire your services or even mention your name. I am a member of the Indiana Filmmakers Network.

This is awesome!

I don't know, with this topic, I am still a believer in the half glass full train of thought. You might have met a very talented person here, who is working hard at changing her life!

Also, there are grants out there for people in such situations to use for school. They take a lot of work when applying for them, but you don't know unless you try!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   

I definitely want to get my network as big as I can, actually, so your offer is amazing and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. I already talk with Jon Schnepp (he has done animation for Adult Swim on Cartoon Network - Metalocalypse, Robot Chicken and the like) quite a lot, so I have him, his friends and now you as well.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

I have grants and loans for my 68,000$ Bachelors degree. Not sure how much of that is loan vs grants though. :/ But nothing is out of my pocket which is both great - and not so great figuring I have to pay it back xD

I just got hit with a LOT of hope though so I think posting on here and getting the attention of my new friend (without knowing a thing about him) is a pretty cool coincidence. Things happen for reasons. I fully believe in that. I never thought when hitting 'post' that I'd find someone to network with.

I wish this happened to EVERYONE because man. Having a cool chance like this feels amazing. I think that's what a lot of people miss; hope. It's one of the best feelings out there. Hope and Optimism.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

reply to post by Blanca Rose

I have grants and loans for my 68,000$ Bachelors degree. Not sure how much of that is loan vs grants though. :/ But nothing is out of my pocket which is both great - and not so great figuring I have to pay it back xD

I just got hit with a LOT of hope though so I think posting on here and getting the attention of my new friend (without knowing a thing about him) is a pretty cool coincidence. Things happen for reasons. I fully believe in that. I never thought when hitting 'post' that I'd find someone to network with.

I wish this happened to EVERYONE because man. Having a cool chance like this feels amazing. I think that's what a lot of people miss; hope. It's one of the best feelings out there. Hope and Optimism.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by ldyserenity

Are you sure? Good deals on real estate there!

I've never been to Detroit before and have only heard stories (horrible ones at that) about it.

Can any Detroit residents relay some insight into the city and it's culture? Is this bill going to simply be a powder-keg for this city or are the people so used to living a certain lifestyle that this won't affect it.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

I do not believe it will be a powder keg and here is why.

People in the Detroit area/Michigan are hurting financially due to losing many manufacturing jobs overseas in the past 20 years, due to NAFTA , large corporate sell outs and government sell outs, so Michigan has been gutted.

Detroit area has very hard working people, whether they are skilled or non-skilled and when these people see individuals scamming the system it does not sit well these days, because those people that made 60 to 80k a year are now working for 30 to 40k a year with the same cost of living. Some people are working 2 jobs to make ends meet, but they do not collect Welfare.

There is still compassion and acceptance or people that trully need Welfare, but very little for 4th and 5th generation welfare recipients.

In conslusion, most people's mentallity these days, if you don't like the new terms, don't let the door hit your ass on the way out. This Bill was not initiated by one person or an elite group, but by the majority of Michigan residents who are sick of working over-time and paying for scammers and lazy peoples welfare benefits.

Time to step up to the plate and produce, or find another social system that will support fraud and otherwise healthy individuals that could work for a living.

edit on 9-9-2011 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14 >>

join