It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden calls Americans who disagree with him "barbarians", MSM runs cover

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
Of course there is no outrage form the usual suspects on this forum for 2 reasons:

1. They're raging hypocrites
2. The MSM didn't instruct them to make internet posts and be outraged.

You can guarantee that if Palin or Bachman had said it, there would already be dozens of threads. Remember, this is the same guy who called Americans "terrorists".

When the media and Democrats lecture the country on "civility", they of course only mean it for everyone else. Not themselves.

newsbusters.org...

The Associated Press's main web site returns nothing relevant in a search on Biden's last name. I found a brief AP item (i.e., considered a local story) at Cincinnati TV station WKRC's web site which does not mention the comment.

At the New York Times, a search on his last name indicates that there was no mention of Biden's comment anywhere -- and only a brief "Early Word" squib this morning about his appearance.

At the Washington Post, a search on "Biden barbarians" (not in quotes) indicates that there's no news story, but there is a Q&A with columnist Eugene Robinson where a participants asks whether Hoffa's or Biden's comment is worse. As to Biden, Robinson writes: "As for Biden't (sic) "barbarians" reference, well, I don't think he'd get too offended if you called him a barbarian right back." Sure, Eugene.

At the LA Times, a search on "Biden barbarians" (not in quotes) comes up empty.

More generally, a September 5-6 Google News search on "Biden barbarians" (not in quotes, sorted by date) returns 12 items. None are establishment press outlets.

Broadening as far as possible, a September 5-6 Google web search on "Biden barbarians" (not in quotes, with all similar items) returns 530 items (it says over 76,000, but the list ends at 530), which is a relative drop in the bucket. The vast majority are blogs, forums, bulletin boards, and New Media outlets. Exceptions include the Politico, the Nation (post title by John Nichols: "A Top Democrat Actually Gets It: Biden Makes a Stand With Labor"), The Hill, the Columbus Dispatch, and Cincinnati public radio station WVXU.

Biden's comment did get mentioned by UPI.com in the final paragraph of a story primarily about Hoffa ("Tea Party wants apology for Hoffa's SOB comment"): "Tea Party activists also expressed displeasure for Vice President Joe Biden, who told a Labor Day rally in Cincinnati that they were 'the only folks keeping the barbarians from the gates.'"

As to local TV stations, WKRC didn't mention the comment in its five-paragraph web story (though the second commenter at the story did) or its TV report. WCPO's coverage didn't either, but its story did one service, noting that the Vice President spoke to "about 1,000 union members." WCPO said that total attendance at the day's festivities was expected to be "up to 20,000." Though it did post Biden's entire speech, WLWT's story, which noted "up to 15,000" event attendees, didn't bring up the comment. MyFox19.com's coverage mentioned that Biden "tried to life the spirits of hundreds of Ohioans in his speech," and didn't mention the "barbarians" comment.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Gannicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Ya, well, then this barbarian right here will be sharpening his axe waiting to be released.....

2nd

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Gannicus

Considering the fact that there is no actual "gate" it's safe to say that this was simply a figure of speech...

Land of the sorta free, home of the sensitive I tell ya.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:31 AM
link   
Sticks and stones will break my bones but words will never hurt me. What a bunch of crap. Words are dangerous. People's panties get all in a wad over the meaning and how it is used and spelled. We need to come up with a list of issues prioritized and make TPTB stay focused on getting them resolved instead of using words to keep us fighting amongest ourselves and other countries.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Biden is the real life counterpart to the Peter character in the cartoon Family Guy. He really is.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Why do the democrats blame something first and then instigate the same thing? The democrats were the first birthers by questioning McCain's eligibility, then they say being a birther is wrong. They criticize the tea party for being violent, then they don't reprimand when a democrat wages war on the republicans. They criticize Bachman's husband (who is not even in politics) for calling gays barbarians, and then they are okay with Biden calling ALL OPPOSITION barbarians

This is so much double speak it should be called triple speak for reasons I can't even figure out.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   
lol i love the vitriol and vague-ery. whoever wrote that speech has a real knack for weasel words. ill sum up the speech for everyone who cant watch it at work:

"you people are here because you support our administration, and not the other guys. like i said, i said, like i said, i said, i said. we care about the middle class, they dont. Barbarians.

not gonna comment on the content, because essentially there isnt any.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Gannicus

The barbarians at the gate that he is talking about is the corporate barbarians. They ARE barbarians. If they had there way your children would have to work and you would have 16-18 hour work shifts.

It will be a right to work.

top topics

join