It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Something is Wrong Here, and in India. I Still Don't See How This is Good for the Economy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Ford to open second plant in India: report

The 40-billion-rupee ($909 million) plant was slated to open in 2014 and employ around 5,000 workers, Dow Jones Newswires reported, quoting an unnamed official directly involved in the project

Ford has said it is looking to step up global production by 50 percent by 2015 to eight million units and expects Asian markets, particularly India and China, to make up one-third of total sales.

This is all well and good, but why can't they be built here? In Detroit?

Ford To The Rescue! 5,000 Jobs, $900 M New Plant -oh, wait, in INDIA, not Indiana!

What ever happened to "Made in America"? Weren't and aren't the old American car companies using patriotism and "born in the usa" marketing 24/7?

List of where it is made...why not all US?

And Ford is, still Ford afterall, Not exactly the best of the best anymore.

Ford's total investment in India till date is $2 billion.

Why not in Detroit?

Wall Street Journal

Notice there is nothing only how good it is for Ford and India. We have been sold down the river by our own companies because they can get richer ripping off less developed nations peoples' easier than our selves.

CJ
edit on 7-9-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ColoradoJens

Yep. Greed rules the corporations waking moments 24/7. India will still be getting a good deal out of this but as far as creating more jobs in the U.S? Well we all know how that goes.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
And so begins the death of Ford Motor.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Stop-loss!

The 80' and 90's days are gone. Our infrastructure is gone. Out manufacturing is gone. Our farms are consolidated. We have applications for phones to make...we like snookie...

CJ

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

POS it is. I for one am tired of paying for other economies to grow.

CJ

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I think this is just down to simple demographics.

Its pretty obvious that new car sales aren't going to be the greatest in the US of A while the economy is like it is. China is booming and Japan is going to be slow in recovery of its export market for some time. Who wants to buy an irradiated Corrolla?. India is just a small step from the Middle East so shipping costs to there are going to be far less than from North & South America.

Its nothing new for Ford though. They have been manufacturing around the world for decades now.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:44 AM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

No, you are missing my point. If I can get a car manufactured in Japan sent here, why can't I make cars here and ship them there? I can still open distributors in India...

CJ

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:55 AM
link   
The "UAW"...

$23/hour floor sweepers...

Plus India and China are where the exploding markets are.build them there no shipping costs!

We are not going to be buying cars like we used to. $99.00 down and 7 year loans are a thing of the past.(the good old days) sorry.
edit on 7-9-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

No, you are missing my point. If I can get a car manufactured in Japan sent here, why can't I make cars here and ship them there? I can still open distributors in India...

CJ
Shipping costs would leave little room for profit.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Where are they going to sell the cars they build in India?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Where are they going to sell the cars they build in India?

in India its booming.
"Peggy" needs a new fusion!

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Because people want Japanese & European cars and don't mind paying more for them.

Who wants an American made car after the crap that has been churned out of there for the past 40 years?

As someone who owns a Ford and a Mazda, I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the fact that my Ford runs on propane and is subsequently really cheap to run, we would only use the Mazda. It drives better, it has all the bells and whistles as standard and it looks far more respectable. The Ford is a tank, the seats aren't anywhere near as comfortable, the tires wear faster, it doesn't handle as well, the list goes on.....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

CJ

Usually you seem pretty spot on but with this, I guess I am going to have to actually see some numbers. I would rather have American companies go to other countries and sell them crap then have them come here and sell us crap.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   

The first paragraph of the article says the cars are for the South Asian market.

I would think it would be more of a concern for the Indians. It is a new form of colonialism.

In the old days, European bankers loaned money to New World colonists. They either made profits from the loans, or became absentee landowners in the case of default. The key goal, I think, was land ownership. That gives you lots of interesting rights on foreign soil, without excessive responsibilities.

So: South Asia will get Ford cars. But South Asian capital will not get Ford profits unless it buys Ford stock.

I have not looked into this closely, but there are a LOT of multinational corporations that are owned primarily by a relatively small group of interests. There may be factions within this group, but the rumors persist that it does indeed function as an organized group, and that it does exercise its financial muscle through multinational corporations to get things done.

I found a rather lengthy article that discusses this:
www.worldservice.org...

So we are not just looking at multinational corporations that we think of as "American" turning their backs on us. We are looking at multinational corporations in general turning their backs on the population of the world in general. The only thing they are willing to do for us is employ us. The only thing they expect us to do is to consume their products and act happy. Poverty, unemployment and so forth are just "security problems" to them. What they can't handle with Public Relations they will handle with unexpected outbreaks of human or natural violence resulting in death and fear of death. They have subverted most governments and politicians to agree to abandon their feelings of love and responsibility for people in general in exchange for a chance to survive in a more "secure" position.

This is the gloomy version of the tale; one being told by many on this site.

But remember: People who really believe the world should work this way are only about 3-6% of the population. All the rest are either actively working against this or at least in disagreement with it. Some of them have been terrorized into cooperating with these programs, or convinced that they are "good" using clever PR techniques. But even near the top of the elites, there are individuals who think what they are doing is fundamentally wrong.

So take heart, and maintain a lightness of spirit. You will probably need it.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
You Bet Your Behind Some Thing is Wrong!
If your company could be threatened with a strike every time a new contract is due to be settled on, What would you do?

"UAW President Bob King has two things that he's trying to do," said Schwartz. "One is, he's trying to organize the foreign transplants and a strike at Ford would send absolutely the wrong message in that regard. And secondly, he's got the Obama re-election campaign. And Obama was very good to the auto industry in general in '09. And a strike would be a real thumb in the eye in that case. I really can't see a strike at Ford.”

This I find interesting:

"One is, he's trying to organize the foreign transplants and a strike at Ford would send absolutely the wrong message in that regard.

How about this Obama Comment?

And secondly, he's got the Obama re-election campaign. And Obama was very good to the auto industry in general in '09.

I think the Unions are looking for World Wide Dominance. Or I could be Paranoid. It's no secret, I don't care for Unions.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Kitilani

Kilitani, yeah, this is no PhD economic dissertation. Here is just what I percieve -

At one point in time, CEO's were paid about five time that of the average joe working for him (at that time, him)

The factory that supplied the jobs for generations became a world leader, known for its great products - people around the world know The Mustang!

A middle class, better educated and with opportunity, grows significantly.

Along with this growth, comes more expectation.

As the paradigm shifts, the CEO realizes yes, it's neat to be a productive part of the country I am from, but you know what - if we move our plants and factories overseas for more profit, WE will grow! And, in turn we will invest more in the stock market and OVERALL America will be stronger - a win win!

"Outsourcing" aka India and China economic growth becomes fashionable.

Many companies see mucho bucks and the index rises and rises...

Yet Larry is broke, no job and if he goes back to get more schooling he's $50k in debt at age 49.

Something is wrong. I don't know what and I can't say but this isn't working. Sorry so confusing, maybe a rant?

Edit to add: This is the prevailing thought. I understand it in theory. What I see happening is something else all together...

According to The Heritage Foundation, a conservative think tank, the most dire predictions estimate that 3.3 million service jobs will become outsourced to a foreign country by 2015. However, over the past decade Americans lost 7.71 million jobs each quarter. Outsourcing, therefore, amounts to a tiny fraction of jobs lost in the United States. The group also reported that studies show countries with policies that encourage economic freedom strongly correlate with high per-capita production, and the very nature of outsourcing -- getting more production output from lower production input -- leads to a higher standard of living and more economic growth.

Outsourcing

CJ

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Buy a Ford made in China or a Kia made in Georgia. Which meets the criteria for "buy American"? I'm going with the Kia in Georgia, as it actually has created real jobs and not just paperpushing, corporate crap.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

This is all well and good, but why can't they be built here? In Detroit?

Because you are all greedy and demand fat salaries to fund your big fat buttocks that needs a big fat car to haul it about and a big fat house and big fat driveway to live in.

Frankly, Americans cost too much.

I wouldn't say Made in America equates to high quality.

Perhaps if you lowered your "demands" and cost of living, you would still have a job.

edit on 7-9-2011 by Anonymouth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymouth

Which is really funny because we have foreign businesses investing over here in the States like wildfire. It makes me wonder why in the world American businesses are doing the opposite. Doesn't make any sense.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Guys, guys.

Take it easy on Ford.

You'll be giving them another tax break soon enough.

They're a large corporation that "creates jobs" and "stabilizes the economy".

"Trust me".

top topics

<<   2 >>

join