It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Millions Of Americans Now Staying In Long Stay Motels

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Thought I would share this with the survival forum, seems relevant.

There are probably millions staying in trailer parks too.

I would chose a trailer park over a motel. Most trailerparks have a fair amount of greenspace.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
agreed,i would choose trailer park or mobile home instead if worse came to worse

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I lived in an extended stay motel twenty years ago. I was in my early twenties working for minimum wage and couldn't afford a security deposit and first months rent anywhere. It's a hard life. I was fortunate to be able to afford a room with it's own bathroom. Many people who stayed there had to use the community bathroom. I got by eating meals I could cook in an electric skillet or the kindness of the family who owned the restaurant downstairs. I'll never forget them. I grew up drinking a glass of cold milk every night before bed. One time, they indulged me with a glass on the house prior to bed. It was the best milk I ever tasted.
I don't know how anyone could live in one with children. I feel so bad for those poor kids. It's a rough environment without drugs and other criminal behavior going on around you. I hear a lot of whining about how people should just buck up and get a job. It's not always so easy. There are a lot of working poor out there. Everyone should have to live like that once with very little income, not eligible for assistance, just roughing it. It's hard and you learn a lot mingling in that environment too. I'm always amazed at how little help wealthier people often give to others, but I've known poor who would take you in and always find a way to help you out. They understand watching one another's backs and looking after their own.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
A trailer would be better, but costs monthly rent,utilities and a deposit.
Versus paying something like $160 weekly.
I have stayed in one before,it was job related and was working out of town with expenses,so it was my cheapest option,and got to keep whatever expenses I had left over.
But I would not do it again unless I absolutely had too.
There are alot of people struggling today.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
The only reason why a lot of people don't want to stay in a trailer is because of the stigma of being Trailer trash, for me, I'd stay in the motel but that is my opinion.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
i'd just join the police or army or something if I really really had to, at least temporarily.

other then that i'd say do something drastic to change your environment and the outcome will follow.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker
i'd just join the police or army or something if I really really had to, at least temporarily.

other then that i'd say do something drastic to change your environment and the outcome will follow.

Amen, I can go join the army for that matter or the navy.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

I wouldn't recommend it as a 2nd or even 3rd option. I'm talking last option, no where to go, need a home now, will serve country for it. lol.

yes navy would be better, nice little bed on a submarine.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

I wouldn't recommend it as a 2nd or even 3rd option. I'm talking last option, no where to go, need a home now, will serve country for it. lol.

yes navy would be better, nice little bed on a submarine.

I know, I was talking last resort. When you have nothing, and I'll just flee the country for that matter. I know a little French, Welsh and English.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
A lot of extend-stay motels in America are fairly new, and built to a decent standard; they tend to be built here on the edge of oil fields, or near a port or somewhere else that extractive industry is turning up.

I have stayed in them; partly because they are WAY cheaper than regular hotels, and partly because you can cook your own food, which basically doubles your food budget right there. And if you have more than 2 kids, you are often not really welcome in traditional hotels.

They tend to be a bit loud, with people coming and going and drinking at odd hours, due to the shift work that employs them. I've only stayed in them 4-14 days. I think the vast majority of people stay less that 90, with most less than 45 days. Of course, that's in Texas, where there's seasonal farm labor, road construction, and the Chesapeake oil field, plus some new coal fields that are being utilized. Other economies will have different facilities.

Trailers are not nearly as comfortable where it is very windy (most of Texas); and are a lot less safe for fire and especially theft. At various points, we've considered renting a mobile home; but I've always found a better option.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Personally I could never live in an extended stay motel, not for any pre-conceived connotations - I just couldn't do it. At least trailer parks may have outdoor space. I'd feel like a dog stacked in a kennel in a motel. For a child to have to grow up in a motel is heartbreaking to me.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I've stayed in loads of extended stay motels over the years. I travel a lot for work. Usually need to spend anywhere from 1 - 6 months on any given job.

Some of these motels are rundown fleabag sh!tholes. Some of them are downright amazing. Most, however, are very basic and minimally maintained.

top topics

join