It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA says Elenin won't kill us.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I have been lurking on the ELENIN topic for quiet a while just because I have yet to see the big deal about this comet, but the endless threads have provided for some good laughs. So when I see articles like this I start to question stuff I read on here.

In short, the 3-5 kilometer-wide comet can't hurt us. Really, it can't. It's too small and its closest approach to Earth will bring it 90 times the Earth-moon distance. 90 times the Earth-moon distance. That's a whopping 35 million kilometers (22 million miles) away.

source: news.discovery.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
It has been said a million times already. Too small and too far away. Got it.

I thought it had broken up though...or was that a...hoax?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Do you believe this will stop anyone from still acting like a fear mongering idiot on this site?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Its funny how one can go to a thread
and someone is going to mention
Elenin even tho not relative to
the topic at all. Kinda ruins a lot
of threads for me - NASA says it
will not hurt us, got it! Let's stop
putting this comet in the weather
threads, the earthquake threads,
etc. please!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Oh, Ok. Never A Straight Answer said it, so it must be true. Gravity is the only force in the universe. Doom cancelled. Thanks.

Phew, I was getting kind of nervous there.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I just find it funny that experts (NASA) say something about Elenin and no matter what they say some guy with an inside source sitting in his basement is more correct.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheHistorian

Of course it won't. People just like to go around and make things what they aren't rather it be "Elenin is a spaceship oor elenin closer than nasa lets on".

I have never thought Elenin was anything but a harmless comet and if I am wrong then so be it.
edit on 6-9-2011 by TheWorldSpins because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Is this thing 3-5 kilometers wide?
Lucky for us it's not on a direct impact path towards earth then.
A 3-5 kilometers wide comet hitting earth would indeed be a Extinction Level Event!
Let's hope it stays on course and isn't somehow nudged toward us.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

I wish NASA had a better record of telling the truth. Now I'm also worried.

However I'm more worried about getting killed by a teen driving while talking or texting or a drunk in a pick up.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
No one is saying Elenin will kill us. That is just disinfo, easy to debunk. That does not mean what it brings with it or indeed that the TRUTH is debunked.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
reply to post by CaptChaos

I wish NASA had a better record of telling the truth. Now I'm also worried.

However I'm more worried about getting killed by a teen driving while talking or texting or a drunk in a pick up.

You cut to the crux right there. Few people trust big brother. And big brother has worked hard to earn that mistrust. So any so-called facts from NASA now get the opposite effect they want.

People have been lied to so much, you can't blame them. On the other hand, I do blame those who hype this crap to make money and gain notoriety. Especially when they play on the inherent mistrust of the public for the government and anyone connected to it.

edit on 9/6/2011 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Dear NASA,

What's the matter??? Why are you repeating yourself every month???

It seems the more attention you put on this insignificant comet the more it's making it become an issue. I'm sure you know what you're doing?

Why can't we all just forget about it, without the need for you reminding us??? What is with this comet that has got so much attention???
Why didn't Levy and others get as much attention???

I don't see any reason to dismiss mere conspiracies, made by some arm-chair astronomer to raise a need to publish a reminder every 2 weeks.

Pls reconsider your options, it is better to let it go and eventually all will be forgotten.

Peace man

edit on 6-9-2011 by InnerPeace2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by InnerPeace2012

Maybe they have to repeat what they say because the closer it gets to passing more and more bogus stories come out about it being lethal. I agree that it would b better if they just let it go and forget about it but that's NASA for you.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
Its funny how one can go to a thread
and someone is going to mention
Elenin even tho not relative to
the topic at all. Kinda ruins a lot
of threads for me - NASA says it
will not hurt us, got it! Let's stop
putting this comet in the weather
threads, the earthquake threads,
etc. please!

Don't you know Elenin is in everything... Everytime there is an important world event the event has to coordinate with Elenin and see how the comet can be incorporated. If Elenin can't be worked in the event, the event has to be cancelled or postponed until Elenin can be incorporated somehow.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWorldSpins

I seen worse bogus stories, but this is really over playing it, for such an insignificant comet.

Is it really necessary to remind us that often? This sort of behavior is basically the reason behind the hype, if I may say.

Thanks to NASA, elenin as got so much attention, for a not so significant comet...this is sure to raise some questions for some.

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

This is from August 17th and is an article about an article that has been discussed a few times on here. This isn't meant to be a dig at the OP. I'm just trying to clarify that this is not a new statement from NASA once again saying that Elenin is not a threat.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

How did NASA elevate Elenin? I thought it was delirious people because of the name of the discoverer that raised it's significance. What did I miss? This hit the crap bin by January.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

Like I said if it ain't significant, than really let's all just forget about it shall we. Make things alot easy that way.

But no, we keep hearing things like hum radio signals and black budget operations from NASA "insiders" and what have you. I'm a firm believer, not that Elenin is a threat but there is something every now and then that draws one's attention to this elenin.

I don't know but someone has to be responsible for this madness. And I wonder who, it can't be some arm-chair astronomer.

Peace

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   

You're right it's not armchair astronomers. It conspiracy theorists and hoaxers. It started with Terral Croft and AstrolPatriot who demonstrated they knew nothing about astronomy and all evidence seems to suggest that they were committing a purposeful hoax. Since then it has been mostly driven by those conspiracy theorists that don't know anything about astronomy, the occasional nut like Mensur Omerbashich, and every so often the well-known con-man like Richard Hoagland. For the most part the media and the government completely ignored this thing. Interestingly enough early on people were saying that the lack of exposure was anomalous and proof of a cover-up. At which point NASA started getting dozens of emails a day regarding it so David Morrison released his first article regarding it. At which point people started saying that the very fact that NASA is publishing articles on this comet is anomalous and indication of a cover-up. That has been the theme of this entire Elenin circus, the conspiracy theorists will make a claim. The claim will then be proven false. The conspiracy theorists will then change their story so that Elenin can remain in the limelight and they don't have spend months searching for another world destroyer to give their lives meaning.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xcalibur254

You're right it's not armchair astronomers. It conspiracy theorists and hoaxers. It started with Terral Croft and AstrolPatriot who demonstrated they knew nothing about astronomy and all evidence seems to suggest that they were committing a purposeful hoax. Since then it has been mostly driven by those conspiracy theorists that don't know anything about astronomy, the occasional nut like Mensur Omerbashich, and every so often the well-known con-man like Richard Hoagland. For the most part the media and the government completely ignored this thing. Interestingly enough early on people were saying that the lack of exposure was anomalous and proof of a cover-up. At which point NASA started getting dozens of emails a day regarding it so David Morrison released his first article regarding it. At which point people started saying that the very fact that NASA is publishing articles on this comet is anomalous and indication of a cover-up. That has been the theme of this entire Elenin circus, the conspiracy theorists will make a claim. The claim will then be proven false. The conspiracy theorists will then change their story so that Elenin can remain in the limelight and they don't have spend months searching for another world destroyer to give their lives meaning.

But you have to ask yourself the obvious question in that case. Since there are alot of other conspiracy theories which have been proven bunk as well several times, how come these dont pop up all the time, only elenin/nibiru?? Like that australian priest guy (don´t even remember his name) that predicted the doomsday a few months ago, and later "rectified" it to oct 21. We rarely hear anything about that right? How come it is only elenin/nibiru?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join