It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"You Mad Bro" Sign Kicks Off High School Football Racism Controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   

The local NAACP chapter interprets the "bro" in a "you mad bro" sign held up by fans of a winning football team as racial intimidation. We think it's just questionable sportsmanship, and the unforgivable crime of taking memes outside the internet, where they belong.

The big sign read: 'You Mad Bro.' "I think the reference to 'bro' in the sign definitely has a racial connection to it," said Michael Hanlon, superintendent for Painesville City Schools.

According to the Urban Dictionary, which is basically the online Wikipedia of slang, the phrase 'you mad bro?' means "To make a ragin [sic] person rage even more by asking the most ironic question." To use an older slang phrase, kicking someone when they are down.

I don't get the racial connection?

I don't think "Bro" is racist at all.

Do I need some enlightenment?

Could this just be a case of bad judgement on both sides?

Any Thoughts?

Story

Another Story

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Hahaha! I guess they were mad....bro.

Poor sportsmanship, sure, on the winners part. However, the losers make themselves look like losers at more than just the game with this complaint.

Oh noes...The Game.

edit on 6-9-2011 by MzMorbid because: I lost

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
No deep thought from me. It seems to be taunting, which is unsportsmanlike conduct, but no more than that.

The response seems to be oversensitivity, paranoia, or both.

Winners: don't do it again, it's beneath you.

Losers: sure, it hurts to lose. Get over it and stop looking for racism everywhere.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Not at all racist. But we live on the internet so we find it a quite normal sentence

But seriously, why is this even in the news. Must have been a slow week.

If the phrase didn't fit them then, it sure fits them now
"We lost! lets pull the racial card"

Sigh.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This is ridiculous, anyone with half a brain knows this is an internet meme. Do they not have the Intertubes there?

Oh, and they misspelled it, its "u" not "you".

Perhaps they would prefer:
"Doth thy heart be bestirred with unsettling clouds of wrath, o male sibling of my hearth and home?"

Partygirl,
Not mad.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Partygirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:38 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Pshhht. People will get worked up over anything.

Ever watch that fratboy ghostbuster show on the Travel Channel? The one hosted by the guy with the goofy haircut. They "bro" each other all over the place.

"Bro! Bro, I heard somethin' in the kitchen!"

If those guys were any whiter, they'd be considered ghostly themselves.

I think it's a big lot of nothing, but I'm far from a sensitive individual.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
This is so ridiculous.....if anything its an internet/multiplayer gaming meme, and a forum thing. Forum-ers and gamers are a race now? *facepalm*.....oh wait....

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Who are these people we allow to even get into these positions in the first place??

and who are the people recognizing these people?

seems just like an endless cycle of stupid lol.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

lol, this is a meme on *many websites including but are not limited to* reddit imgur memebase, 4chan and stumbleupon. That's all it is. In a rage comic "You mad bro?" is accompanied by a troll face

For example:

Myth Busted. On to something else not racist Mr. Jackson.
edit on 6-9-2011 by Plugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
More like "You Absurd Bro?"

That's what this sounds like, with people saying it's racist, while some people saying that it wasn't intending to be racist, but it was "very inappropriate". Also the fact that there will be a thorough investigation really makes me shake my head.

I think the football team just reveiled their weakness, and other teams can cash in by handing out "you mad bro" signs to the crowd, to get under their skin, at least until the team gets the law on their side.

Bottom line, are you stupid bro?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Ugh, yeah you can associate "bro" with the brothers, the black man, I guess. But bro has been used by whites as well, used to death. And now the "U Mad Bro" is popular internet message forum lingo designed to piss people off who are prolly already pissed off.

What this is is a clear case of poor sportsmanship

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
Bro? Short for brother? How is that racist.My sister refers to me as her brother all the time...

Is it racist if I call her my sis?

This is just.... silly...

Poor sportsmanship,maybe... racist?

No.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
seems a case of butt hurt on the part of those taking offense to such.

by 'taking offense' their actually the ones 'assigning' the hurtful or otherwise derogatory 'meaning' to the message/sign.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder and perception is in the mind of the same.

comically-ironic, if you ask me.

it's like a trickle-down of 'spiking the football' ultimately being made a 'flag-able offense' ... seen as an intimidatingly-excessive display.

some people and their kids just need to grow a thicker skin, in my opinion.

... and i won't even get started on the removal of 'competition' from interscholastic or otherwise competitive sports so that every kid gets 'playing time'.

that's another ball of wax altogether.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
If the NAACP is involved, the chances are high that the situation has been over-blown and being used to further their agenda. It's border-line to even consider that unsportsmanlike.... [ETA] Well, that's a huge sign (I just got the video to work) so can see how some would consider that bad sportsmanship, but I do not see racial intimidation.

Originally posted by topherman420
This is so ridiculous.....if anything its an internet/multiplayer gaming meme, and a forum thing. Forum-ers and gamers are a race now? *facepalm*.....oh wait....

Really? I guess I'm out of it, I would have not arrived at that conclusion but then again, I'm not into this type of stuff.

Regardless, the message is easy enough to read and seems like nothing more than a bit of smack talk and Geez, that never happens at sports games, does it?

edit on 6-9-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
IA with most here, I don't think it was racist, unsportsman like yes, but racist .......they are really reaching here!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
Why do these issues keep popping up? It's the same issue every time, and it's not racism. It's the oversensitivity. Yes, this phrase comes from an Internet meme. Is it bad sportsmanship? I think not. Is it an unforgivable crime to use outside of the Internet? Not even close.

Freedom of speech. Plain and simple.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm almost inclined to believe that this is a case of reverse racism, where it is actually the black team being racist.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Plugged

lol, this is a meme on reddit. That's all it is. In a rage comic "You mad bro?" is accompanied by a troll face

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/769e3289311a.jpg[/atsimg]

Redditors think they start everything...

edit on 6-9-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

haha Sorry man. I realized I should have put a more correct statement after I posted that, but then I was like

[editby ]edit on 6-9-2011 by Plugged because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I have been told that it also means you're crazy...in a good way. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

But , heck, I'm a white male Vet who my own gov't terms a possible terrorist, so what do I know?

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2  3 >>

join