It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab chimps see the light for the first time in 30 years of being locked up..Emotional !

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by seedofchucky

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]That is so incredibly sad. Just who do we think we are? What gives us the right?

All in the name of science....

we have to test on animals .. or else we have to test on our selfs....

We do test ourselves....we get prescribed medications from our doctors, eat "organic" foods, and even pharmaceutical companies pay people to test new drugs on themselves. Remember, people respond to incentives.

Unfortunately, animals are NOT given any incentive.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
I can't call this positive.
Science....? Right....
What did the scientists earn or learned with this?... A lot of money making, that's for sure.
Or how do animals react imprisoned? Just look at yourself and you will have all answers.
Let's go watch the chimps and buy them peanuts, those were our ancestors, pay attention children!

What are they going to do now, send them back to the wild to die?? Or let them once a day go outside in this 'zoo'?
This is sad news to me.
But hey, we still are humans, gotta keep our name,.... right?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Those chimps looked messed up. they aren't clinging to each other in joy, but more probably in hopes of comfort. Primates do that when they are majorly stressed out by events. They are frightened by going outside into nature and holding each other. Truly sad that we do this to our closest relative in nature.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011
The way the chimps walk around and smile makes me wonder if we did originate from those primates? The way they walk and kind of smile, as well as hug, sends sparks in my brain to ponder the idea even more.

I'm so glad the poor things are out and free -- lab life isn't very high quality for most lab animals (for rats and mice, it's not that bad until the experiments begin. For dogs, cats, apes, monkeys, etc, it's like being at the pound with no hope of ever being adopted. Only worse.)

However, the video is interpreted by someone who hasn't studied chimps. The "grin" is a fear face. They've seen something new and they're scared of it. The 'regroup and hug and sex (mating)' is a fear/comfort response (yes, one of the males mounts a female when they regroup.) They are as frightened by their new freedom as a primitive tribesman (one of those lost tribes who haven't seen airplanes, etc) would be if someone captured him and held him in a cage (unable to communicate with anyone) and then suddenly turned him loose in New York City.

Hopefully they've got some good chimp behaviorists on staff.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by intergalactic fire
I can't call this positive.
Science....? Right....
What did the scientists earn or learned with this?...

Well, what they learned would have kept my 18 year old nephew alive. He was one of the ones who died from AIDS when it was first diagnosed. He was a hemophiliac -- and a lot of hemophiliacs died from it. A second relative with AIDS (diagnosed in 2000) is still alive and doing well.

But there has to be a better way, yes.

What are they going to do now, send them back to the wild to die?? Or let them once a day go outside in this 'zoo'?

Many of the rescue facilities (I don't know about this) allow the animals to live together as a family. They've been too changed by interactions with humans to have any other fate. They will live long lives (unlike the ones in the wild) and will be kept disease free (unlike the ones in the wild). They won't be shot and eaten for food (unlike the ones in the wild) and they will have toys and interesting things to play with and explore (unlike the ones in the wild.) Aggression will be managed (chimps sometimes kill each other in the wild) so that they don't harm each other.

Anthropoids are very complicated creatures. There's no easy answer. I like this option better than "send them to a zoo" or "send them to a circus" and MUCH better than "kick them out and send them into the wild." They'd starve within a week.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I am always disgusted by these posters that start prattling on about how hideously cruel we are etc. Stop the hand wringing and think about what animal testing allows us. I would rather we not need to test on anything, but we have to and it's better a chimp than a person.

I do however agree that these animals should be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I would rather we not need to test on anything, but we have to and it's better a chimp than a person.

That's a bit harsh, no?
I really don't feel better or superior than some animal and can't see why it would be any better.

I do however agree that these animals should be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

remember that 90% of these testings on animals results in death or major side-issues.
Treated with respect? That's why they choose to test on animals. no biggie when a mouse dies, we have plenty. But if a human died, they can close their business.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Byrd

....unlike the ones in the wild

I ask myself this question... what happens when humans interfere with nature? Change the nature of nature?
We will have to pay sometimes, no?
Animals are cruel to each other, in captivity or in the wild. I can't see the problem of their behavior(in the wild).
That's how it is,...
Why tell a mantis not to kill his partner after mating because it's bad to be a murderer?

I can understand that we've learned from these testings and helped other beings. But there are better ways that we still have to discover.

And if they want to study animal behavior they have to go in the wild. If they put you in prison, will you be the same person?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I don't see the joy in this. Of course if you're locked away in darkness for 30 years,you're going to be both happy and emotional when seeing the sun for the first time in three decades. Now, let's lock up the scientists who thought this experiment was a good idea, and see how they react when we show them sunlight again in the year 2041. I bet they'll be a little emotional. No need for an experiment to tell me that.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

. I would rather we not need to test on anything, but we have to and it's better a chimp than a person.

Can you be anymore hypocritical?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
...i was looking for an article about primates living wild in south texas but its too time consuming right now - so i'll just tell you the story... it starts with this company...

www.tshaonline.org...

...best i can remember - in the 80s, a group "rescued" some primates from the above noted medical research outfit and turned em loose in the somewhat remote area west of freer and east of i-35... the rescue group consisted of current employees and others... some of the released primates died, some survived... dont remember the stats or much else about the story except that i did find some articles online about it back in the late 90s or early 2000s...

...my personal story is this...

...in the early 90s, i retrieved pipeline samples (for quality assurance testing) for valero... one day, a few miles west of the valero facility west of freer, i saw a pack of monkeys moving thru the brush...

...thought i was hallucinating due to being out in the heat too long and being too tired... so i pulled over to the shoulder and just sat there watching a pack of non-indigenous critters and wondering how the hell they got there... there were infants and youngsters with em - so they were obviously thriving...

...when i got to the valero facility in carrizzo springs, i told a guy there what i had seen... he said folks (especially farmers) had been seeing primates all over that part of south texas for years and then he told me the story of the research lab in san antonio and the rescue group...

...he also said there were personal encounter stories that were harrowing and suspected many of them werent true but he told me some anyways to stress the potential danger just in case i encountered some while i was outside of my truck... i didnt need the warnings, lol, but i appreciated his sentiment...

...anyways - during my search for an article about thriving clans of primates living wild in south texas, i found some other stuff that some might find interesting...

www.austinchronicle.com...

...national geographic kiddie version...
video.nationalgeographic.com...

www.kiiitv.com...

www.chimphaven.org...

www.kxan.com...

www.kristv.com...

www.releasechimps.org...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
I vote to have criminals that are sentenced for life to be the subjects for science. Stop lab testing on innocent animals that have done nothing to us, do it on all those murderers, psychopaths that pose a threat to society!

Not that my second sentence is any better, but it was just a feeling I had at the moment! (Apoligies, but I am not taking that back!)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by MysticPearl

I don't believe what I said was hypocritical. In my opinion we need to test drugs before they are used. I would rather we not but we do. I would rather have a chimp tested than a human being. I can still value treating the animal with as much dignity as possible, while understanding the need for animal testing.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ha`la`tha
How incredibly sad..

as one of the comments said, makes me ashamed to be human

Don't be ashamed to be a human.
Be proud that you're the kind of human you are! You're not alone!

I always feel kinda sad when I see good people say they're ashamed to be human because of the actions of people who don't behave like humans at all.

WE are humanity. Carelessness towards other beings, cruelty and greed are horrible by products of humanity gone wrong.
Don't be ashamed that you ARE human.
Pity them because they AREN'T.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
the only emotion im able to express on this matter is a respectable silence.

maybe its not just in movies.
the apes should revolt against us.
and i would gladly stand with them.

i may renounce my humanity one of these days.

all i see is beasts wearing suits and labcoats

if thats what humans do, maybe i dont want to be one anymore.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ypperst

So if you had a choice to either lock a baby human in a shed or any animal, you'd pick the former? Sure.......

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Wow, that's some messed up pardon my redneck.
O.o

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I just saw this on my news here! It was so emotional. I do have a soft spot for all animals and this really hit me. So wonderful for those chimps! Reminds you not to take things for granted.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I agree 100% with animal testing, if it saves a human life, not if it makes cosmetics better.

I am also against needless cruelty, there is no reason they couldn't give these chimps outside time, it was cost saving measures that probably led to their treatment being that way.

I am not for being cruel to save a buck, there are two arguments present here not one.

Animal testing may not be humane, but it need not be cruel.

It seems thats the route people tend to take in these situation, "well they are going to die anyway so lets treat them like #" and then these companies wonder why people get mad at them.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

I am always disgusted by these posters that start prattling on about how hideously cruel we are etc. Stop the hand wringing and think about what animal testing allows us. I would rather we not need to test on anything, but we have to and it's better a chimp than a person.

Justify cruelty all you want its still cruelty and for some of us it feels wrong. For some it helps them sleep at night. Animal testing is wrong. (My 2 cents)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join