It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lab chimps see the light for the first time in 30 years of being locked up..Emotional !

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
Lab chimps see the light for the first time in 30 years of being locked up.

This was absolutely brilliant to see ,the joy and happiness of the chimpanzees.
I would embed the video if i could,you just have to see this for yourself ,very heartwarming moment.

The animals hugged each other in delight before they took their first steps outside. Emotional footage, below, shows how they reacted to their new surroundings.

The outing marked the end of a 14-year bid to re-integrate the 38 primates after they spent most of their lives cooped up inside. One commentator said: "They hugged as if saying, 'We're finally free'. And then they laughed."

Lab chimps see daylight for first time in 30 years
edit on 6-9-2011 by TheMaverick because: (no reason given)

We humans are a cancer on this Earth we kill and destroy everything we come into contact with. We destroy their homes in the woods so we can build homes for ourselves, we lock them up in cages torturing them against their will for the sake of testing chemicals and god knows what else. All of us should be ashamed of ourselves for letting this happen. At least these guys are one step closer to freedom, now just imagine how many millions of other animals are right now caged in a cell for testing some companies product so they can make a profit. Makes me sick to my stomach, this stuff should be outlawed worldwide.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Hippocrates said, "The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different."

Why isn't this evident to everyone?

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
From 7sec-13sec is one of the most beautiful, heart-touching scenes I have ever seen seen. I don't even know what else to say.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skywatcher2011

Originally posted by seedofchucky

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]That is so incredibly sad. Just who do we think we are? What gives us the right?

All in the name of science....

we have to test on animals .. or else we have to test on our selfs....

We do test ourselves....we get prescribed medications from our doctors, eat "organic" foods, and even pharmaceutical companies pay people to test new drugs on themselves. Remember, people respond to incentives.

Unfortunately, animals are NOT given any incentive.

Sure they are given incentives. They get to see sunlight after 30 years of testing! I'm not being funny at all. I agree with you completely.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Definitely very moving...

Welcome!

To the op... thanks for sharing!

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Sadly, they can't be released. Survival skills of course. But these poor creatures are infected.

If they were released, well aids and hep would be rampant in the "monkey community". I think anyway.

Good job scientists, good job...

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
If this disgusts you, you would puke if you saw what they do to cows and chickens....that end up on our kitchen tables.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMaverick

not sure what to say.
i just keep watching the video.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
This was such a sad video but when they stepped into the light after 30 years i just cried tears of joy for these sweet chimps..I'm so happy they got there freedom i just love all animals..I understand they were used for animal testing but to lock them up for 30 years thats just plain cruel..Thank you for the thread op S&F

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'd copy the picture, but the website won't allow it.

You do know the chimps weren't hugging each other at all right? In fact they were biting each other. One turned around because it was frightened, which apparently offended the other chimp.

I completely agree that these animals should not be locked up in such a fashion, but to say that they were hugging each other (especially with a video to show it) when they were in sort of a 'fight or flight' mode is so bogus.

Don't stone me for sobering up this moment, but if you honestly think that is a hug then I'm sure as hell never hugging you.

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
double post
edit on 6-9-2011 by iamhobo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   
At least they have peace now from the suffering of twisted science in the name of money , absurdity(see Oregon National Primate Research Center investigations)and superficial laws. So, grateful for their human help, may this spawn more influence. Hopefully they live out the rest of their time in comfort, healing and no fear.
edit on 6-9-2011 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 6 2011 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Not to be a party pooper, but why are you putting human emotion to monkeys?

It's cute for us, the way they "smiled" and hugged walking out the door, but a chimp showing teeth like that is a show of aggression or fear, not happyness.

Show your teeth to a chimp and he'll beat you half to death.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
reply to post by fbipeeperjr

Smartest post in this thread.

2nd line

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
The most famous example of the dangers of animal testing is the Thalidomide tragedy of the 1960s and 1970s. Thalidomide, which came out on the German market late in the 1950s, had previously been safety tested on thousands of animals. It was marketed as a wonderful sedative for pregnant or breastfeeding mothers and it supposedly caused no harm to either mother or child. Despite this "safety testing", at least 10,000 children whose mothers had taken Thalidomide were born throughout the world with severe deformities.
Clioquinol is another example of a drug that was safety tested in animals and had a severely negative impact on humans. This drug, manufactured in Japan in the 1970s, was marketed as providing safe relief from diarrhea. Not only did Clioquinol not work in humans, it actually caused diarrhea. As a result of Clioquinol being administered to the public, some 30,000 cases of blindness and/or paralysis and thousands of deaths occurred.
Are these two examples just isolated cases? Even though pharmaceuticals are routinely tested on animals, the Journal of the American Medical Association reported that 100,000 people every year are killed and more than 2 million are hospitalized as a result of prescription drugs used as prescribed. The British Medical Journal recently reported that 4 out of every 10 patients who take a prescribed drug can expect to suffer severe or noticeable side effects, while numerous clinical observers agree that the incidence of iatrogenesis (medically induced disease) is now so great that approximately 1 in every 10 hospital beds is occupied by a patient who has been made ill by their doctor.
"Giving cancer to laboratory animals has not and will not help us to understand the disease or to treat those persons suffering from it."
- Dr. A. Sabin, 1986, developer of the oral polio vaccine
Clearly, if we are going to make medical progress, a new approach is needed. Human medicine can no longer be based on veterinary medicine. It is fraudulent and dangerous to apply data from one species to another. There are endless examples of the differences between humans and non-human animals.

PCP is a sedative for chimps
Penicillin kills cats and guinea pigs but has saved many human lives.
Arsenic is not poisonous to rats, mice, or sheep.
Morphine is a sedative for humans but is a stimulant for cats, goats, and horses.
Digitalis while dangerously raising blood pressure in dogs continues to save countless cardiac patients by lowering heart rate.

The National Institutes of Health alone pours well over five billion dollars annually into superfluous animal experimentation. Abolishing animal research will mean these resources could be redirected into prevention and the types of research which actually have a chance of advancing human medicine and human health.

Epidemiological studies led to the discoveries of the relationship between smoking and cancer and to the identification of heart disease risk factors, not animal experimentation. Conversely, tobacco company executives relied on misleading animal-based studies to deny the link between smoking and cancer as recently as 1994.
Christopher Anderegg et al., “A Critical Look at Animal Experimentation,” Medical Research Modernization Committee, 2002.
Stanton Glantz, “A Selection of OSHA Comments on Lung Cancer,” Tobacco.org, last accessed 14 May 2009.

Population studies demonstrated the mechanism of the transmission of AIDS and other infectious diseases and also showed how these diseases can be prevented, whereas animal studies have produced no real results in terms of preventing or treating AIDS.Samuel Baron, M.D., et al., Medical Microbiology, 4th ed., University of Texas: Churchill Livingstone Inc., 1996.

The National Institutes of Health have reported that more than 80 HIV/AIDS vaccines that have passed animal testing have failed in human clinical trials.National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, “Clinical Trials of HIV Vaccines,” National Institutes of Health, 19 Sept. 2008.
As the associate editor of the British Medical Journal stated, “When it comes to testing HIV vaccines, only humans will do.”Alison Tonks, “Quest for the AIDS Vaccine,” British Medical Journal 334 (2007): 1346-8.

Besides saving countless animal lives, alternatives to animal tests are efficient and reliable. Unlike crude, archaic animal tests, non-animal methods usually take less time to complete, cost only a fraction of what the animal experiments that they replace cost, and are not plagued with species differences that make extrapolation difficult or impossible. Effective, affordable, and humane research methods include studies of human populations, volunteers, and patients as well as sophisticated in vitro, genomic, and computer-modeling techniques.

whitecoatwelfare.org...
ecvam.jrc.it...

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Nice video

The one ape walking upright.....must be Ceasar, right?

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Touching! 1st video of a long boring day at work.....And a big smile on my face. Thanks for the post

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
They walk upright more like humans. They've clearly picked up some human behaviours after watching humans for many years.

I still don't understand why people can't see that chimpanzees are an "us."

Yeah, but what I don't get is why things have to be an "us", before they even get considered for humane treatment. Shouldn't the "thems" be treated well too?.....

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1
I am always disgusted by these posters that start prattling on about how hideously cruel we are etc. Stop the hand wringing and think about what animal testing allows us. I would rather we not need to test on anything, but we have to and it's better a chimp than a person.

I do however agree that these animals should be treated with the utmost respect and dignity.

Maybe you'll get lucky and be abducted by aliens who will do experiments on you to advance their healthcare system. It might hurt, but imagine the advances those higher beings will be benefitting from thanks to all your suffering....
Oh and by the way, you can't be kept in a cage, experimented on for thirty years and be treated with the utmost respect and dignity all at the same time. They are kind of mutually exclusive...

edit on 7-9-2011 by thoiter because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-9-2011 by thoiter because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 03:04 AM
link   
God that was amazing . Thats all I can say right now. It almost teared me up LOL. Just wow.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join