It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush going to the Olympics???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:41 PM
link   
According to Drudge, he is looking to attend to watch the Iraqi soccer match.

www.drudgereport.com...

The hell with that. Who wants him there?

Certainly not the iraqi players who are disgusted at him using them in his election propaganda.

Certianly not the security who have enough to worry about without some grandstanding showoff.

Certianly not the viewers who watch the olympics as a break from all the political BS that they are subjected to for the other 3 1/2 years.

Hopefully the only person who would want him there would be a lone sniper seeking revenge.

Let him keep his politics in his own country and not pollute the olympics with his version of the truth.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:55 PM
link   

XXXXX DRUDGE REPORT XXXXX SUN AUG 22, 2004 16:35:43 ET XXXXX

NBC: BUSH 'NOT WELCOME' SIGHT FOR OLYMPIC SECURITY PLANNERS

ON-AIR REPORT DURING OLYMPIC COVERAGE ABOUT POSSIBLE BUSH TRIP

NBC's Jim Lampley on Bush's possible visit for Iraqi soccer game:

NBC, 4:30pm ET

I pick number 5
Bu# has to be out of his gourd, is he going to borrow the Pope mobile,
I laughed when I read your post and thought this has to be bogus,

[edit on 23-8-2004 by Sauron]

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I bet the Iraqi's wont even play if he is there.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If this is true, which I seriously doubt, then it would be hard to criticize anyone for booing america at the olympics.. both the "booers" and Bush would be just as guilty of helping politicize the olympics.

-koji K.

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Yep, thats the part that disgusts me as well.

He's not wanting to attend to watch the sport, like the rest of us, but purely to present himself as the savior of Iraq, and politise the hard work that the players have done for themselves.

It sucks.

I doubt he would even know the rules to the game.....

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Netchicken
Yep, thats the part that disgusts me as well.

He's not wanting to attend to watch the sport, like the rest of us, but purely to present himself as the savior of Iraq, and politise the hard work that the players have done for themselves.

It sucks.

I doubt he would even know the rules to the game.....

I totally agree. This is just a pre-election time ploy for media coverage.

posted on Aug, 23 2004 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I really hope this is just a rumor or maybe a trial balloon that gets shot down real fast!

I have never really worried about the Olympics being victim to terrorist threat. But this little "Rove" publicity stunt could attract the wrong kind of attention. Could you imagine the military backed entrance this guy would have to make with the whole world watching? Just for a fresh aggrandizing photo op to carry him into the convention!

Also, the people who like to compare him to Hitler would have a field day with this little stunt!

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Any updates on this story?

Do you think we are in for a Thanksgiving Surprise at the closing ceremonies?

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   
I just saw a news item about Powell going to the closing ceremonies.

Is this instead of Bush?

Why does the US need an "official" presence at the Olympics?

Do all participating countries send a representative?

I hate this. As I said in a earlier thread it attracts the wrong kind of attention.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Once again, I return, and am jumping into the fray.

While I seriously doubt he would go to the Olympics, because it would look bad in the eyes of most of the world. That said...

NETCHICKEN SAID:

Of course this would be his goal! Domestically, it would be an ingenious political move, and why shouldn't he use everything to his advantage this election? People always work for their own personal goals, and presidents are no different. As a matter of fact, any president who DIDN'T work for his own interests would be a moron.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:14 PM
link   
The only way he may be able to attend is if the entire area of the game is empty out and he and his secret services are the only ones in attendance.

If bush walks into a stadium full of people from other countries the booing and the noise that this people will do to show how angry they are will make impossible for the game to even be play.

I wish he will do just that and show up for a game in Athens, so the entire US and the world will see his welcoming.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hello??? Listen up folks .... presidents and vice presidents have
been going to the olympics for a LONG TIME. I remember when
Clinton went .... he was hugging all over some poor foreign girl
who had just swam and earned a medal.

Kings, queens, prime ministers, presidents, etc. all go to the
olympics. It's nothing new.

Some people complain about ANYTHING Bush does.
If he goes, it would just be following tradition.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
I wish he will do just that and show up for a game in Athens, so the entire US and the world will see his welcoming.

That's a good point marge.

Maybe then the blind Bush supporters would wake up and even die-hard republicans could not deny that Bush is a lousy leader. But I fear it would set-off another round of Europe bashing by the un-enlightened (sp?).

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   
It is not problem with him going to the Olympics the problem is the embarrassment of the type of welcoming he way receive.

posted on Aug, 27 2004 @ 06:01 PM
link   
If Bush is going to attend an Olympic game, I think he should do so without generating all this publicity due to security issues for others in attendance.

Think about it.

Would you want to sit next to Bush in a crowded stadium?

I wouldn't, especially during an Iraqi game.

What's the point of announcing to the world he will be at a specific event? Are they trying to tip off possible assasins, give Al Quaida time to prepare for an attack at the Olympics?

Any publicity should be "after the fact", not where potential terrorists have time to prepare something.......

Are they all stupid?

**marg6043
Is that avatar "Ms Norma Bates"?

[edit on 27-8-2004 by mako0956]

new topics

top topics

join