It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Diego Great White Shark Spotted Hanging With Surfers

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Wow, I didn't realize the other shark photo was a fake.

This was last year right up the coast.

I am no expert...But there seems to be more.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere

Everyone in San Diego is (justifiably) freaking out over recent sightings of great white sharks near some local beaches. This photo alone is enough to make anyone pause.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec3e1fb5007f.jpg[/atsimg]

I believe this photo is a fake photoshopped photo. some thing just does not look right and it looks like two photos over laid to make it appear to be a real photo.

There was one just the other day from Puerto Rico
www.stinkyjournalism.org...

As the use of CG gets more common i believe you will see a lot more made and given to the media and many news programs don't take the time or make the effort to check for CG.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Get real man. I'm in San Diego and I'm not freaking out. Great Whites are to be expected where ever a breeding population of Sea Lions live and just north of where this picture was taken, at Children's Pool in La Jolla, is such a colony. The seals moved in a couple of decades ago and stayed. They are the natural prey of Great Whites. Great Whites hunt by skulking on the bottom and looking up for a seal then they rush them in a vertical ascent. Surfers look like seals on the surface because they wear half wet suits with arms and legs moving around. These days surfboards are small so much of the person is in the water. What is a shark to think?

When I surfed in the fifties and sixties I used a 9 1/2 ft balsa "Brown" board that I still have by the way hanging in my living room. With a big board the surfer can be entirely on it and nap between sets if he/she wants. OK the size of the board is irrelevant I suppose. It's the proximity to the seals that brings the sharks.

Freaking out? Not hardly. Someone from Kansas might be but no native California beach bum is.
edit on 3-9-2011 by trailertrash because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I remember paddling out at Blacks one day, when a guy behind me yelled … “DUDE, there’s a SHARK behind you!”

I looked back and saw a nice size dorsal fin following me.

Talk about an adrenaline rush, you know that natural-high that helps you with making those simple primordial choices, like FIGHT-OR-FLIGHT!

Call me whatever you like, but I choose to FLIGHT.

Black’s Beach Shark Danger: The canyon is a breeding ground for WHITE SHARKS, and leopard sharks dot the beach in the summer, but you probably won't be bothered unless you’re very unfortunate. (1=none; 10=bring an iron cage)

source : highwavetide.com...

edit on 4-9-2011 by seasoul because: SURF or DIE

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

HOLY SHIZNIT!!!

I think I could walk (RUN) on water at that point!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by whyamIhere
reply to post by SLAYER69

Wow, I didn't realize the other shark photo was a fake.

This was last year right up the coast.

I am no expert...But there seems to be more.

....and THAT is why i have no use for the ocean.

On land, I'm pretty much at the top of the food chain (or can get that way FAST).

In the water? All bets are off.

I'm a land lubber and damn proud of it.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
i'm sorry guys, but anyone who cannot see that its a person instead of a shark is dumb as nails. i can even count all his toes on his foot, lol! soo dumb

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:15 AM
link   
hahahaha wow, its funny how many people actually think its a shark, how dumb can you be, thats the skinniest fin i've ever seen LOL, as skinny as a HUMAN LEG!! WITH TOES!! AND SWIM SHORTS!! lol

you know life is over when, geeze, how do you get a person confused with a shark, even HEADLINE NEWS this is DEPRESSING

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:27 AM
link   
If you feel fear, any fear … try to face it, try to overcome it.

No Fear!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
You guys are panicking worse than most southern Californians are. Call me looney, but I was out surfing 10 miles north of that sighting about 6 hours ago.

Just a couple days ago some one caught a juvenile white off of Huntington , KTLA. The water around San Diego and North County beaches actually see smaller sharks a lot. Sign On San Diego

I have witnessed a shark surfing only once, and it was a small sized thresher shark, which are pretty docile, at least towards people. Fishing them is a different story

I plan on surfing tomorrow morning. I'll keep my eyes peeled! It's their ocean though, hopefully they don't mind me around and playing for a bit.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:52 AM
link   
...and that's why I won't ever swim in the ocean...
I'm near the bottom of the food chain there.. not where I want to be.

Love sharks though. Much respect for those creatures. It is really awful how a species that has existed for millions of years, longer then the dinosaurs... and to have them on the brink of extinction because of us humans slaughtering them for only their fins.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
Just moving away from San Diego and the fact that it is normal to see sharks there............. the media is responsible for creating FEAR in the public especially when I think about the poor chap from the UK who was attacked and died in the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean..............

For us Brits who are lucky enough to go there, then we are told the waters are safe and that there have been no shark attacks in those areas HOWEVER............ I did have a close encounter myself which did turn my spine to jelly a bit....

I was in the Maldives (not a million miles from the Seychelles in the Indian Ocean), and i was just waist deep in water in the shallow lagoon that normally surrounds these islands.... I was about to do a snorkel around the reef with my ex girlfriend. I was just looking around and back to the beach watching her getting ready (fins and mask etc) and I turned and put my head under the water to wet the mask............ As I put my head under my eyes focussed immeadiately on the six foot white tip shark no more than a meter in front of me......

I just looked at it and it at me and then thought WTF is that doing in the lagoon???????? I moved quickly and it reacted and just shot off.......!

It was more the surprise than actually danger but after that close encounter I was a little more Wary and alert in the water !!!

PDUK

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   
Just remember, in the ocean you are not at the top of the food chain.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Sharks have always interested me, especially some of the fossils they've found which show proof that there used to be HUGE sharks. Megaladon comes to mind, imagine surfing and seeing that thing behind you

Glad your feeling a bit better op

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
That is really chilling.
I'm not a very good swimmer and worrying about sharks was everything I just needed.
...maybe there is some truth to that. I already feel how I'm much faster now

And because it's a conspiracy site, behold of the barks:
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2b8b6599fd7a.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by trailertrash

I don't think the size of the board is irrelevant.

They are looking for seals.

The more you look like food.

The better you chances of an accident.

Get that log down off the ceiling.

Let's go surfing...

posted on Sep, 14 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by IndieA
reply to post by doobydoll

I wonder how many people will end up being eaten before others learn to stay out of the water.

I can tell you don't surf.

Negitive star.

You will be correct, my friend.

And as a result I also won't be a shark's snack either

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

A surfer told Encinitas lifeguards on Monday that he saw a shark at Beacon's Beach. Lifeguard Capt. Larry Giles told North County Times media partner NBC 7/39 that lifeguards were called about 3:30 p.m. Monday. The surfer reported that the shark was between 8 and 10 feet in length.

Sighting Report

I saw three sharks myself this week.

It is nearly impossible to tell if it's a Great White or a Bull Shark from the cliffs.

This is getting serious. Great White's are still on the Endangered Species List.

How many people have to get eaten? Can we find a balance?

You will hear a lot more of this happening.

The population of sharks is on the increase.

I see a "Big Time" collision in the near future.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Thanks for the update. After reading this thread, I did some research and it does seem like there are more shark sightings, and more shark encounters than in the past, especially on the West Coast.

Also, it is good that I read this, because about a month after your OP, my sister was in Santa Barbara (know it is a different area) with her family swimming in the ocean. They are from the Southwestern Desert and not familiar with the coast. She called to tell me how there were little sacs everywhere that were shark eggs and that there were some really cute seals in the cove where they were swimming.

I told her Not to panic, but to get her family out of the water, as that was probably a shark feeding area, and swimming nears seals (may have been sea lions, she would not be able to tell the difference) is always a bad plan.
I had read this thread and you mentioned more seal pups were on the coast this year. At first she did not believe me, so I told her to get a mask on and swim out a little ways if she wanted to be sure, and yes, I was kind of kidding, and did not really think she would do that. But she did, and she says there were dozens of really big sharks that seemed to be close to shore.

My sister may have exaggerated a bit, who knows, but I am sure she saw some sharks, as they decided to do something else that day. I am not sure if this is funny or interesting, well it is funny, but only because nothing bad happened.
You may have just saved some tourists, but do not tell the locals.
No one else was swimming there, so I did remind them to swim where there are others, or stick with the public beaches.

Used to try to whale watch from the cliffs in the north county of SD, and a whale sighting was rare, at least at that time, but I never saw a shark, at least not a large shark.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join