It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Diego Great White Shark Spotted Hanging With Surfers

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Everyone in San Diego is (justifiably) freaking out over recent sightings of great white sharks near some local beaches. This photo alone is enough to make anyone pause.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ec3e1fb5007f.jpg[/atsimg]

It was snapped by a local shooting some surfers enjoying the waves on Wednesday and subsequently sent to news outlet CBS 8. The network in turn sent the image to a local shark expert, who confirmed that the shark in the photo is a 10 to 12 foot great white

Local Story

Recently I started a thread titled "I can't shake this feeling of impending Doom...I have 2012 Depression".

Recent ATS thread

I got some great feedback from my fellow ATS friends who have been there.

I decided to take their advice and go surfing for the first time in 20 years.

For three straight mornings I hit the beach.

I felt great...That connection I have missed with nature was returning.

Then a lifeguard on a waverunner came up and said "Huge Shark, Get out of the Water".

Nothing will make you forget about 2012 quicker than someone yelling "Shark".

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I surfed off San Diego in 2008 and the day after there was an attack just up the coast........... it does make you think and I can't think of a worse way to go than be eaten Alive by a big fish ......

Having said that...........it's a numbers game really and the ocean is their 'home'...

PDUK

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Here in Northeast Florida, I though I saw a big one a couple of weeks ago but I didn't want to believe it.

Well, it turns out others in the area have also seen a big shark.

A few days ago we had an attack and a kid's leg got bit up pretty good.

staugustine.com...
edit on 3-9-2011 by IndieA because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by IndieA

Gotta respect the sharks & always be aware you're on their turf. The shark you should respect the most from your area is the most dangerous shark of all, the bull shark. No other animal on this planet produces as much testosterone than the bull shark, making them extemely aggressive! Also, the bull shark is the only shark who live in both sea water & fresh water. And the bull shark thrives in your area.

But above all! Don't go swimming if youve just eaten, cramps & all

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
I stay outta the ocean for the most part because of where I live. I just seen a 8ft bull shark attack a seal or something about 40 ft from shore, where I was Fishing in the San Francisco Bay..Like another poster said it's just a number game..If I do go in the Ocean it's at Extremely Crowded Areas like the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk so the odds are lower of being bitten. My friend told me one time when I was grilling up some Thresher Shark, that I shouldn't eat shark because if I'm ever in the Ocean Nature will repay the Favor. Karma's A Beach

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
A few years ago this happened right out my front door.

The man was a retired teacher that was loved by many.

I ask my friend who is a lifeguard what happened.

He said the man swam every morning.

On that morning there was a seal on the beach.

That should of been a clue. The shark was lying in wait.

When the swimmer with a wet suit hit the water.

The shark was just waiting. One bite and he was gone.

The lifeguard said he lived about a minute...Sad.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
OH MY GOD...Imagine the headlines.

Depressed 2012 conspiracy theorist eaten by shark!

You couldn't make that up..
Don't go and get eaten on us ok?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Well, maybe I shouldn't be telling this and spreading fear, but a ride in a heli or ultra-light along our populated beaches--East Coast experience--will reveal just how dense and close the sharks often are when we're wading or swimming.

Many are small sand sharks, but there's generally a fairly large percentage of bull sharks and the like too.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5553885ecfc9.jpg[/atsimg]
You'll see many within 10 feet of swimmers just chilling.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
I recently was interested to find out about the frequency of great white sharks off the southern California coast - at least the juveniles. I grew up in Redondo Beach, and was part of a marina community there, and lived in the general area for over 40 years. I don't know if they have always been there, and we are just better at spotting, documenting their presence - or if their numbers are increasing - but great whites were never considered to be a West Coast problem "back in the day." Seems times are changing.....

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
A few days ago I was swimming off Grandview Beach in Leucadia ( North San Diego County ).

There was a south swell, some waves, and lots of turbulent foamy white water. All of a sudden a seal popped up next to me, I was startled.

The seal seemed to be startled as well. We were face-to-face, about 4 feet from one another. At first I thought the seal may have been scared by me. Then I got to thinking, which is not always recommended when you’re swimming in the ocean, that he or she might be running from a shark.

Now I hear there's a great white, trolling off the beach.

Wasn’t too far from "Pillbox" and "Tabletops" a couple of breaks that I spent decades surfiing.

“ Attack eyewitness … “
www.surfermag.com...

edit on 3-9-2011 by seasoul because: Got to go sometime, might as well get eaten by a shark!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
OH MY GOD...Imagine the headlines.

Depressed 2012 conspiracy theorist eaten by shark!

You couldn't make that up..
Don't go and get eaten on us ok?

Now that's a headline...

Thanks for the laugh...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Just before this happened I was diving off the drop off "the wall" in La Jolla with a buddy and I seen what looked to be a Mako shark out of the corner of my eye...I signaled my buddy to go to the surface, so we went to the surface and I told him of my concerns. He said I was most likely full of it and they did not run that close to shore out there.

We proceeded back down to finish our dive and I would say within five minutes he signaled in panic for me to surface and he said he to seen it but not close enough to tell exact species of shark.

We told the life guards and the dive shop right there in La Jolla and the response was basically the same as my buddy's first response and they made us both feel as if we were being blown off by both. Within a couple of days after we were watching the headlines.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
Great Whites are a protected species.

They were talking about arresting this guy.

As juveniles, you cannot tell a Great White from a Mako.

Great Whites are making a huge comeback.

Is it time to take another look at the list?

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The GUT
Well, maybe I shouldn't be telling this and spreading fear, but a ride in a heli or ultra-light along our populated beaches--East Coast experience--will reveal just how dense and close the sharks often are when we're wading or swimming.

Many are small sand sharks, but there's generally a fairly large percentage of bull sharks and the like too.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5553885ecfc9.jpg[/atsimg]
You'll see many within 10 feet of swimmers just chilling.

Wasnt it a bull shark the just killed that newly wedded guy that was snorkeling in just a few feet
of water a couple weeks ago. His new bride heard him scream as she was lying in the beach
just a 50 yards away when one ate his leg arm and bites from his body.
that says to me a bull shark cant be trusted either..

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

That is such a beautiful picture. I will never get over the beauty of nature, even the man eating kind!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Lil Drummerboy

If they really wanted to eat us.

We wouldn't have a chance.

It still is scary to see them.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Sharks and Bears, that is my worst fear to be lunch for something while I am still alive!

I have swam in the Atlantic and the Pacific and only once walked along the GOM, but I was young and it never really hit me since I stayed away from scary movies I had never seen JAWS. I count my blessings that I was lucky because once while out in the Pacific I got "bumped" and I never saw a thing.

What a way to go for that last video feed! Swimming everyday out there is like playing the Lottery I guess, I suspect the odds of a "hit" are probably a wee bit greater out there!

I think I remember hearing that electrically we charge outward when we are in fear and it attracts sharks, I would probably get a frenzy going just by my wits end.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open2Truth
I don't know if they have always been there, and we are just better at spotting, documenting their presence - or if their numbers are increasing - but great whites were never considered to be a West Coast problem "back in the day." Seems times are changing.....

I agree, shark attacks were almost unheard of along the Southern California coast until recently. The only shark attacks that happened, were North, where the water was colder. Surfed San Diego for years, and there were only two times that I remember a great white sighting. They did make us get out of the water, but no one was ever bitten, or killed.

The sharks seem to be coming into shallower waters now, as in the past they would be out past the break line, at least on the West Coast. Wonder if anything is making the sharks move further south, causing more competition for food, just a thought. Or could it be that there is less food, so sharks are getting more aggressive towards humans, could they just be hungry? Good thing that no one was hurt.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

Since you are nearby, did you hear about this?

La Jolla — On August 31, 2011, Maurice Luque of the San Diego Fire-Rescue Department reported; “A two-mile stretch of water was closed to the public after lifeguards received reports of a dorsal fin sighting near the Children's Pool in La Jolla. The water one mile in each direction from Casa Reef will be off-limits for 24 hours. The San Diego Police Department's ABLE helicopter was being used to search the area. Three surfers and two boogie boarders reported seeing a 12-inch fin about 2 p.m. -- considered by lifeguards a 'credible sighting' -- prompting lifeguards to evacuate the area. This was the fifth beach closure in more than a week because of possible shark sightings.” Please report any shark sighting, encounter, or attack to the Shark Research Committee

Pacific Coast Shark News

That is not where I would expect to see a shark, so close to an area that is usually crowded with people. I used to snorkel and dive there, and that is one place that I never even saw a small shark. Stay safe.
edit on 3-9-2011 by PacificBlue because: sp

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I surf with sharks or in known shark spots all the time,(se coast of vic in oz) have seen a few in the waves like the pic in the op.
I have also been attacked by a shark,i had just got to my feet and i thought my (brand new) board snapped,so i was one of the lucky ones it chomped my board not me,it was big news at the local surf shop where i took it back to be repaired.I did not report it to any relevant authority,its the sharks home,my playground.
I think personally that shark sightings and encounters have gone up,a bullshark came up on top of my mates board,head out the water to try and chomp him!Seems to be a lot more reports of late.
Plus side to surfing is i get seals,dolphins and whales as well.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join