It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Children infected with new swine flu strain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Oh lord...

Two cases of a new strain of swine-flu related infection have been reported in young children, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Friday. The infections, identified in late August, involved an Indiana boy and girl from Pennsylvania, both under age 5. The particular strain the children contracted hasn't been seen before, said Tom Skinner, CDC spokesman. While the CDC typically sees a few cases a year of H3N2 (an influenza A virus), usually as result of contact with swine, "what's new is that it has picked up a gene from the H1N1 pandemic strain," said Skinner.

www.msnbc.msn.com...
edit on 2-9-2011 by PassedKarma because: edit

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by PassedKarma

Any thoughts on the subject matter? I didnt see any posted... So ill hold mine back as well

By just reading the quote... Something stuck me odd...

involved an Indiana boy and girl from Pennsylvania, both under age 5.

Ok so they are under 5... Do they live in Indiana, or Pennsylvania? Or is it Indiana(as in a city), Pennsylvania?

Why if its Indiana, why mention PA at all? They are only 5, its not like they are 50 years old and just recently moved...
edit on 2-9-2011 by morder1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

I don't know, but this is a poorly composed article. Not too much info. I'm sure they are trying to down-play everything. But come on! It just "picked up a new gene?"
Oooooook.
It's so sad that these "viruses" target the young ones. My sons (and myself) had the hardest time getting over H1N1 the last time around. We were all hospitalized. It was awful.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
God... why my state? I heard something on the news about it.... efffffffffffffffffff.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
I wish I understood epidemiology more. It seems very disconcerting to me that the same new mutated virus could appear in two different places - and infect two different children in two different ways (one with direct exposure to an agriculture gathering with swine - and the other indirectly via exposure to someone else who was in contact with swine), yet both be the same mutation.

I'm not saying that this is impossible; maybe somehow there was a common pig, or a common vector cross-piggy contamination. It just doesn't seem to bode well. I also thought it was interesting that both children had been vaccinated for the H1N1 in September of 2010.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Open2Truth

I know what I know from working in an animal hospital. I linked some info on zoonotic viruses (viruses which are transmittable from animal to human). What gets me is the make up of the H1N1 virus. It was supposedly human, swine AND bird flu? The odds of all of those viruses mingling together seem insanely slim.

pathmicro.med.sc.edu...

The info is a bit old, (2004) but it gives a general idea about viruses that can transmit from animal to human and HOW they transmit.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by morder1

There are 2 children, in 2 different states. In one case, the child had direct contact with pigs at a fair; in the other case, the kid was in contact with an adult who had contact with pigs. ...These are new strains of swine flu (H3N2 mixed with H1N1) that acquired a new gene from another swine flu strain.

...Everyone's on high alert for this flu season - and starting early.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
A virusologist I know so so tells us that the flu viruses do mutate and exchange genes between eachother. That's in their nature. So one has to be careful witht he hygiene around animals that could transmit such viruses. And do keep children away from the dirty pigs, thank you

On the case of immunity. I belive in not going overboard with vaccines and antibiotics, partly because they are rather expensive in Russia. So far I have recovered from each year's flu just nicely. But in a medical emergency I wouldn't be foolish enough to deny any shots, or pills needed.

Considering vitamin D and whatnot, I don't like fish, or eggs so I do not consume them much. But milk and cheeze are common here, as is sunshine as we work on our fields. I believe this strain will pass and get added to our immunity as it has been the last thousand years.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Indiana is a county within Pennsylvania, thank you for the update will be watching..

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Hopefully the 2 babies will recover

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
T'is the season for flu-doom once again.
The shots.
The medical centers firing people who won't get the shots.
The children forced to get shots because they can't go to school, otherwise.
The false panic.
The death counts.

Doom-doom-doom.

posted on Sep, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Guess i won't stopping by the animal farm at the LA County Fair next weekend

new topics

top topics

join