It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would an option to see who has flagged a thread be of use ? It would to me !

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Mods ... I've just seen a new thread created by a new member that has a simple intro followed by a description of a weather observation made by the OP. Basically NO info of importance was presented (no pics) and yet with NO responses (except for my own), this single post thread already has 5 flags !!

This got me thinking what the hecks going on ? There was absolutely nothing of value being presented (at that point) to warrant such an immediately dis-proportionately high flag response ... so who's flagging ? Such immediate flagging seems highly suspicious to me.

So I'm wondering if it could be possible ... and if my fellow ATS'ers believe it to be of value ... is there any way that we could have a new option that allows us to see which members have flagged any given thread ?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Why not just make the flaggers wear yellow stars on their chests.

The starers could get by with half stars on their chests.

Then you'd know just who to point your finger at.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by tauristercus

I seem to remember a few years ago there used to be a list on our mini profiles showing the last 5 threads we flagged, not quite what you're suggesting but it's similar.

What you're describing would be an interesting thing to have.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by thisguyrighthere

So ... I'm guessing we could condense the above response from you to just a simple ... NO ?
I wasn't suggesting any form of "profiling"

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by tauristercus
So ... I'm guessing we could condense the above response from you to just a simple ... NO ?
I wasn't suggesting any form of "profiling"

So then what's the point?

You state in the OP that you want to see who is flagging threads you dont believe deserve to be flagged.

What usefulness is there in that? U2U confrontation? Stereotyping members? If you want more info about a thread to see if if it indeed warrants your flagging then post in that thread,

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   

That is a silly idea.

WHY DO PEOPLE CARE SO MUCH ABOUT FLAGS!

Did you ever think people flag because they want more to see it to get an answer? That doesn't mean its a good thread it just means people want more information so they flag it for others to see. I dont always flag threads cause it's good. I flag threads when I want to know more about the topic too. I go by CONTENT not flag count.

This is why flags should be GONE! People care too much about them.

Also what are you going to do with the information on who is flagging what? I mean come on.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I do agree with you.

But It would be interesting to see the trends in what gets flagged by who though...

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The idea of seeing who flags what, I am not s much in favor of. I just dont see the significance of it.

What I would like to see implemented is an automated u2u that shws a member when his/her post/thread gets a star or flag. There are times when I make a post, forget about it, then revisit it a few days later once the thread has run its course and see that it garnered a little bit of attention, and think to myself that I should have participated more.

I knw this would become cumbersome for certain posts that receive dozens of stars, so the implementation is a far fetched idea, but at the same time, its something I would like to see as part of an ATS 'wishlist.'

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by youdidntseeme

Very cumbersome!

17,000 PM's?

I got caught out with a similar thing with youtube, I used to get an email whenever someone posted a comment on a video.

I uploaded a video that got quite popular very fast, go to check my hotmail account a few days later and found a few thousand emails!

Pain in the butt!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Simple. If a thread gets a lot of flags it is more likely to get read or make it to the front page and get exposure. So when people flag garbage they promote ignorance rather than deny it.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
No thanks. I hate profilling and facebook for those very reasons. Lets keep ATS as a true bastillion of freedom!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Very eloquent post! Next thing you hear will be people asking for RFID chips in their shoulder because they have "nothing to hide" and it will protect them from the "terrorists". The only terrorists I am aware of are the governments, banks and multinational corporations.

Lets spill all our personal info out so we can make it easy on the PTB to start smear campaigns against us, lock us up on false pretenses or simply kill us. YAHOOOOOO

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
I don't agree that knowing who flagged a thread should be made available to all ATS members. I will briefly explain why I don't think this is a good idea.

I am of the opinion that if anyone, any ATS member has a concern of the nature described, that it would be more quickly resolved and looked into if ATS management is made aware of the problem and if ATS techies are allowed to see that no computer magic is being used to push numbers or flags for the sake of someone getting more numbers or flags in some corrupt way or electronic manner.

If after ATS management checks to see that no hacking or computer magic is being conducted by those that are flagging, then a simple message from ATS to any member questioning such a thing could be provided so as to answer the mail.

I just don't feel that allowing any busy body or anyone with different agendas to know who is flagging what. I don't see where it is anyone's business except for ATS management to confirm that no funny business is on going.

I just don't feel that ATS management has to appease every ATS members request and this I feel is my humble opinion about identifying who flags what. It just serves no one except ATS management to know and I can live with that.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Ok

I will flag you

I see your thread is flagless

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Tauristercus,

While I agree with you that it could be interesting (as being curious) to see who flags what, I personally think it's a bad idea.

1 - As mentioned from someone else, some members flag threads at times to bring attention to it, to get more comments about a subject of interest even if they do not participate in the thread. I know I do and I wouldn't see the purpose or enjoyment of anyone seeing that I flagged the thread without participation.

2 - Some garbage makes it to the front page, we all know it happens. Seeing who flagged such a thread would just bring oil to the fire as such threads often turn into flame wars. It would also bring division. Which is never a good community concept.

My 2 cents. (cnd)

edit on 2-9-2011 by SonoftheSun because: rephrasing.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Surely there is bigger things in life to stress over

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

I call 'Godwin's Law'. This thread is over!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

Originally posted by mblahnikluver
Simple. If a thread gets a lot of flags it is more likely to get read or make it to the front page and get exposure. So when people flag garbage they promote ignorance rather than deny it.

No it's an attention "look at me now" thing.

One shouldn't look at a thread based on the amount of flags it has, it should be content. Many things get flagged that are utter crap and get all over the front page and the good ones get lost. I'd rather just not see a flagging system, it makes people actually read and think!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I do agree with you.

But It would be interesting to see the trends in what gets flagged by who though...

That is true but I just don't really pay that much attention to flags lol

Glad to see you have your normal avy man back

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Enter Sylvester McMonkey McBean...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join