It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Cannibal: Ginormous Black Hole Caught Eating Another

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

I'd like to see Hawkings comments on this.

..A monstrous black hole at the heart of one galaxy is being devoured by a still larger black hole in another, scientists say. The discovery is the first of its kind.

At the centers of virtually all large galaxies are black holes millions to billions of times the mass of the sun. Models simulating the formation and growth of galaxies predict their black holes evolve as the galaxies do, by merging with others.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Now if only they could take a picture of the lunar dune buggy and American flags on the moon to finally put that debate to rest forever.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   
How can a hole eat a hole?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Pics or it never happened!

I really want to see two black holes fighting it out.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Maybe it ate Jupiter AND Mercury.

And I'm actually waiting to see what Mr. Hawking needs to say.
edit on 31-8-2011 by blackmetalmist because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Its disgusting to find out that black holes are cannibals!

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
So, I kind of reviewed this in my mind,its totally logical,and comes as no suprise.It is just plain physics.A black hole is just gravity.Its just like having a chain of different powered magnets.They will keep sucking each other into the biggest magnet.This is not new information.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
So, I kind of reviewed this in my mind,its totally logical,and comes as no suprise.It is just plain physics.A black hole is just gravity.Its just like having a chain of different powered magnets.They will keep sucking each other into the biggest magnet.This is not new information.

Yep. Eventually everything gets swallowed up and then we have another Big Bang.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

But things are moving away from each other at an ever increasing rate. Overall that is.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Distance is an illusion, everything we percieve happens in our minds. What if the entire universe was contained in the same place, and what we percieve is our interpretation of it.

Why else can't we explain what happened after the big bang? What if the big bang never happened? What if we are all energy condensed to a slow vibration, and experiencing the illusion of life?

Just saying

Science is starting to understand that light doesn't travel at the same speed everywhere in the universe, and if we measure distance on the constant of light, how can distance be anything but relative? If it is relative, how can it be real in the way we percieve it?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
reply to post by sligtlyskeptical

Or, black holes are just links to another universe or dimension, and when matter/energy get pulled in it just goes through and out a white hole on the other side. My thoughts anyways.

Pred...

top topics

join