It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A poll for sex, race, and political lean here on ATS?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I was wondering if this would be out of line? Where I live in the bible belt it was said among people in the last election that Obama was voted in by minorities due to his color. In the business I am in, I spoke with alot of different people of many races before the election and it seemed to me as if those voting for Obama (all races)didn't have a grasp on any political issues of ANY of the candidates. They all seemed to fall under the "hope and change" hypnosis because everyone REALLY wanted a change. (Personally, I thought ALL the candidates blew goats on a windswept mountain....) Anyway, with the poll that showed that most people here on ATS were Ronenites (Ron Paul) I was curious as to whether there was any merit to sex and race having an influence on an individual's political affiliations.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SumerianSoldier

depts.washington.edu...

a good survey to get you at least part of your answer to that question.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by CaDreamer

Thank you CaDreamer, that was interesting! It gave rise to a few suppositions in my mind, but didn't really answer my question. I'm not a fan of the tea party by any means, but I think that page looked more like a political attack on the tea party and is a bit one-sided.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
might have better luck at the us census bureau site. there may be information there, since i am recovering from surgery, i will let you do that research as i am not up to it at the moment. here is a link. www.census.gov...

interesting questions you have and it has peaked my curiosity.

cheers
edit on 28-8-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by SumerianSoldier

You answered your own question in your OP. You don't get a high 90's percentage vote for one race if there isn't bias involved.

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Okay, so I should be left to believe that no one votes on the issues and we all vote because of our ethnicity? I would hate to believe that were right.... Maybe my post isn't making sense...

In the ATS straw poll, Ron Paul won across the board. Am I to surmise, based on what information I have been given, that most of the people on ATS are white males? With a predisposition for overthrowing big government?

Maybe a better title to my post would have been: "Who are we on ATS, and is it a true compass of how America will really vote in 2012?

I have talked to people that are going to vote for Obama again, and when questioned, they don't seem to know what his political stance is. (And yes, the majority of these people are minoritites)

Ron Paul supporters here on ATS seem very knowledgable on what his stance is, but I don't meet many people that even know who Ron Paul is where I live!

I know a pastor that is voting for Herman Cain based upon one issue only: His religious philosphy on Iran, his foreign policy. (He calls it his SOUL reason.) So how many other Christian people will vote for Cain or Perry based on this SOUL solitary reason?

A former supervisor I had was also the head of the Republican party and he votes for the strongest Rep, regardless of stance, election after election.

Do people vote for a candidate based on his color because they feel that candidate will have their best interest at heart because they share a perceived commonality? Do Christians vote for a candidate based on his foreign policy because if Iran gets nukes they may bomb Israel? Do UAW workers vote for Democrats because they still believe they will strengthen the unions? (My mother's stance, don't ask...) Do the wealthy vote for Republicans on the sole factor that they can continue to get tax cuts? Have we evolved enough as a people and nation to take the time to research the candidates/issues ourselves instead of being spoon-fed by the media and our friends as to who we should vote for?

Do you see where I am going? Am I making any sense? Heck, I think I'm confused now...

posted on Aug, 28 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Not so much bias as party affiliation. African-Americans statistically vote Democrat in every presidential election.

From the end of the Civil War, African Americans almost unanimously favored the Republican Party due to its overwhelming political and more tangible efforts in achieving abolition, particularly through President Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation. The south had long been a Democratic stronghold, favoring a state's right to legal slavery. In addition, the ranks of the fledgling Ku Klux Klan were composed almost entirely of white Democrats angry over poor treatment by northerners, both perceived and actual. However, as years passed and memories waned, African Americans began drifting to the Democratic Party, as Franklin Roosevelt's New Deal programs gave economic relief to all minorities, including African Americans and Hispanics. Support for the Civil Rights Movement in the 1960s by Democratic presidents John F. Kennedy and Lyndon B. Johnson helped give the Democrats even larger support among the African American community, which consistently vote between 85-95% Democratic. In addition, recent Caribbean and African immigrants have voted solidly Democratic.

Source.

The same people you accuse of racial bias would have voted Democrat even if Obama was a white man. Now granted that there was a larger turnout of African-American turnout due to there being a viable Black candidate, I would attribute this to pride, not bias. Given the history of African-Americans in this country, one cannot and should not blame them for this. A vast majority thought they would NEVER see the election of one of their own to the highest office in the land during their lifetime.

top topics

join