It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will IRENE's level of destruction (& response negligence) make KATRINA look like childs play?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
The answer is no way!! this storm will pass like Y2K, Its already losing strength, This storm will weaken more and more, The people are warned and preparing, But what makes you think you can even compare this to Katrina ? Come on man!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

Even if the storm calms down bunches more, the ground in that whole region is already saturated from rain this week. Flooding is going to happen, power will be lost, projectiles in the form of street signs and broken glass, looting, storm surge...and so many other things are coming together to make this POTENTIALLY very dangerous...but YES, not from the sheer intensity of the storm.

I personally did loose one of my best friends who I served with for three years in the Army to Katrina. I loved him like a brother, and THOUGHT he was a very smart man. We did several tours overseas together and slept in the same dirt.

He died because he was an idiot and stayed when he should have left.

So if I offend anyone because I think they are an idiot for not preparing accordingly, and for taking this situation as serious...too...damn...bad.

This is not about who is right or wrong in regards to the intensity of this storm, this is about saving lives.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
The storm strength is almost irrelevant. I am not trying to fear monger but it's the amount of precipitation that it brings with it. Look at the thing it's all full of water that it wants to throw down on major cities to the tune of 8-15". Just a few weeks ago 6-7" of water was on NY and it flooded out areas and now the ground is saturated. 1" of rainfall could = 3ft-10ft of additional water in areas.

That is the whole problem with this storm, it's the water, forget the wind just forget about that seriously.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

edit on 26-8-2011 by HAARPwatcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 26-8-2011 by HAARPwatcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
I just bagged out of NYC. Anyone who says they aren't preparing for this is off their rocker. The level of preparation is off the charts. Can't say what states like North Carolina are doing, they might be a little more callous to the idea of a hurricane as they experience them on a regular basis, but not so in NY. I found myself thinking they were going way overboard, but I suppose it's better to be safe than sorry.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRemedial

Ya the flooding is what to watch for, The tides for some reason are real high to, but they are evacuating the low areas, but this thread is about comparing this tropical storm, (When it hits NY) compared to a mega hurricane. But I agree 100 percent about the flooding that could happen.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I'd hate to see what is unleashed if Plum Island Animal Disease Center is damaged.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   
What more can the government and authorities do than what they have already done as it stands?

Most of the govenors and even the President of the United States are all saying the same thing: Get out of the way, make to a shelter and get out. Is there anything more that they can do before the storm actually hits?
The government is taking every percaution that it can do and there is not much more it can do until after the storm hits.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
BECAUSE the law says that federal agencies CANNOT get involved until a state declares a state of emergency. Understand that and then you can understand the fubar the state did with katrina, not FEMA.

a state will declare a state of emergency because it immediately frees up federal funds, LOCALLY, for preparedness.

The feds know that no one understands their region more then the locals. the most important emergency response personnel are your local emergency representatives, they are the busiest, and know the most going on.

Stop looking at the feds and look at how hard your local government has been working.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
reply to post by amaster

I will say this as i said in another thread, then you dont understand these weather events.

isabel, just a tropical storm,was devastating.

Katrina wasn't that big of a storm. Camille was far more of a beast then katrina was. But because of all the surge protecting wetlands being developed, it allowed katrina to be more dangerous then it was.

it is not the size, but how it hits. Whether the damage is wind or flooding. The conditions before factor in as well. Been a rainy season? now the ground is saturated, making things ten times worse and weakenging tree root systems.

The most devastating storm to hit my town was Agnes in 72, It flooded so badly it took trains and pushed them against bridges, the bridges it didnt take out. it caused 20 feet of flooding.

I can take a picture for you of the oil tanker that is still wrapped around a tree, and the cab a half mile down river that is embedded in rock.

Agnes was an 85 mph storm.

So stop playing amateaur meterologist when you have no idea what you are talking about.

by the way, the seriousness of Irene is the rain fall, our eastern shore is supposed to get 10-12 inches of rain in 12 hours,

we are talking mass flooding.
edit on 26-8-2011 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover
reply to post by mythos

So if I offend anyone because I think they are an idiot for not preparing accordingly, and for taking this situation as serious...too...damn...bad.

This is not about who is right or wrong in regards to the intensity of this storm, this is about saving lives.

fair enough, and of course i agree. if you read my last post, i certainly am an advocate of readiness (just not the hyperbole that is going along with it).

i suppose my growing peeve at the rash of name calling on ATS led to my defensive position (maybe i should start a thread on that
)

sorry about your friend.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by mythos

Thank you very much and I do appreciate it. I am not one to offend, it just obviously hits me hard because of my fallen friend.

Good luck to all.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This is 100% fear mongering. This storm may rival Katrina in as much as it's size, but as far as packing a punch, Katrina was a 35 year old man on steroids and Irene is a toddler.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

are you really playing my storm is bigger then your storm? because a storm is not the biggest means that it is not deadly?
this is pretty immature thinking;maybe you should start buying underroos again.

despite not bing the biggest, doesnt mean it is not dangerous. last i checked, no one wanted any tornado of any category.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by jeramie

Didn't your bible say that God would cause these things. Is HAARP God now?
This storm is falling apart.
I am in Hampton Va just across the water from Norfolk. We should be in the thick of things now but all I am getting is a steady light rain with a few gusty breezes every now and then. So far no torrential rains and no damaging winds. Once in a while the tree tops shake but thats about it.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by amaster

I will say this as i said in another thread, then you dont understand these weather events.

Katrina wasn't that big of a storm. Camille was far more of a beast then katrina was. But because of all the surge protecting wetlands being developed, it allowed katrina to be more dangerous then it was.

it is not the size, but how it hits. Whether the damage is wind or flooding. The conditions before factor in as well. Been a rainy season? now the ground is saturated, making things ten times worse and weakenging tree root systems.

The most devastating storm to hit my town was Agnes in 72, It flooded so badly it took trains and pushed them against bridges, the bridges it didnt take out. it caused 20 feet of flooding.

I can take a picture for you of the oil tanker that is still wrapped around a tree, and the cab a half mile down river that is embedded in rock.

So stop playing amateaur meterologist when you have no idea what you are talking about.

by the way, the seriousness of Irene is the rain fall, our eastern shore is supposed to get 10-12 inches of rain in 12 hours,

Isabel was a strong cat 1 hurricane when it went through Norfolk Va and the Hampton Roads area. The storm took out electricity for three states.There was no mass flooding with Isabel. Just tidal flooding. In expected low lying areas. The damage from Isabel was downed trees. The storm came on the heels of a very wet spring and early summer. The ground was saturated and so when the winds blew the trees went roots to the sky. They were not broken trees from severe winds, they were whole trees uprooted because the ground was so wet.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

are you really playing my storm is bigger then your storm? because a storm is not the biggest means that it is not deadly?
this is pretty immature thinking;maybe you should start buying underroos again.

despite not bing the biggest, doesnt mean it is not dangerous. last i checked, no one wanted any tornado of any category.

Well I would say that it is a good thing that no one wanted any tornado since we are talking about Hurricane Irene. And no, I am not playing my storm is bigger than your storm. I am judging this storm on it's own merits and it is weak .

The fact is, every MSM outlet has went on this crazy fear mongering escapade for a storm that anyone with even the least amount of knowledge of how hurricanes work already knew was not going to pack much of a punch. Look at this thread title for a perfect example.... "Will Irene's level of destruction & response negligence make Katrina look like child's play?"

Who are we kidding here? You really want to compare a Cat 5 Hurricane to a Cat 2 hurricane? You really want to compare a Hurricane that comes in right off the ocean, to a hurricane that skirts along a coast line? You have to be a complete idiot or completely ignorant to how hurricanes progress to miss the obvious.

So what is the obvious? Once a hurricane hits land and can no longer pull energy from the water, it begins to fall apart. Every hurricane in recorded history has done this. Yet you have no shortage of fear mongers here on ATS, as well as the tons a crap you can watch on the Weather Channel and every other MSM outlet that would have you think that this Hurricane is going to hit land, continue to get stronger, travel up the coast and destroy every major city on the eastern Seaboard.

Ready for the best part?? This storm has already begun to fizzle out and it has not even made it to Philadelphia, NJ, or NY yet. You can turn on The Weather Channel right now and watch for yourself how they are scrambling to find damage so they can keep the fear level up. Do you want to guess what the damage is?? If you guessed a handful of shingles coming off a roof, then you guessed right.

So feel free to call me immature and tell me to go shopping for underroos. The fact is, I called this storm in other threads for exactly what it is, and I was correct. This storm can not be compared to Katrina, it will not result in the same level of catastrophe, and there will be no negligent response...because there will be no serious emergency to respond to.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

reply to post by amaster

No, what made Katrina so devastating was that it hit around a city that was actually already below sea level. New Orleans is below sea level. So once the levees broke, the city itself flooded. It does not take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Current conditions in Hampton Va at 36.05N 76.32W 8:50 AM
Just across the bridge from Norfolk Va.
Little to no rain. Occasional spits of rain. Wind steady at ground level about 12-15 mph. Gusts occur regularly at 25-30 mph every 7-10 seconds. Nothing bad yet. Isabel was much worse.

posted on Aug, 27 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by amaster

You were correct. The storm is much weaker now. The western edge is all but gone. Where I am still just north and east of the center it is just gloomy and drizzly. Gusty winds but not even tropical storm force strength so far.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join