It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will IRENE's level of destruction (& response negligence) make KATRINA look like childs play?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
i honestly dont see any preparations being made (National Guard, FEMA, etc) for a better response to IRENE than was made to KATRINA.

www.youtube.com...

given that IRENE is expected to be exponentially more destructive & catatrophic than even KATRINA so many days ahead of it hitting the NYC / tristate metro area,makes me wonder if this whole thing is planned, its almost as if US officials want to test even larger scale evacuation and destruction scenarios than Katrina, especially given the HAARP footage pointing to it being steered.

www.youtube.com...

sorry i dont know how to embed YT player into ATS
edit on 26-8-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

There ya go.
edit on 26-8-2011 by summer5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
oh wow, that nails it!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I will be able to give you a better answer next week!!

Sorry had to....

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
heheh im a NYer, that might have to be a post-mortem answer. (thanks in advance!)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I can't see Irene being anywhere near as damaging as Katrina.

Though obviously it'll cause more damage to the eastern seaboard than Katrina did.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant
i honestly dont see any preparations being made (National Guard, FEMA, etc) for a better response to IRENE than was made to KATRINA.

www.youtube.com...

given that IRENE is expected to be exponentially more destructive & catatrophic than even KATRINA so many days ahead of it hitting the NYC / tristate metro area,makes me wonder if this whole thing is planned, its almost as if US officials want to test even larger scale evacuation and destruction scenarios than Katrina, especially given the HAARP footage pointing to it being steered.

www.youtube.com...

sorry i dont know how to embed YT player into ATS
edit on 26-8-2011 by ignant because: (no reason given)

I agree with what you and someone else posted in another thread. This whole thing is off, and it seems like it has been planned. With the way they are able to steer hurricanes and other storms with HAARP, I would be more surprised if Irene was not planned.

They need these catastrophic events to keep taking place so when a so-called messiah (the false second coming) shows up and announces they have the answer to all these problems, the world will listen.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
The only damage from the storm will be caused by the fear mongering media coverage. As all hurricanes do, Irene will lose intensity as it near shore and will make land fall as a weak Cat 2 or Cat 1. I fail to understand why people are getting so worked up about this. It's as if this were the first storm to ever hit the east coast.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
It should be hitting cooler waters soon so I believe it will be losing strength and as far as damage compared to Katrina I highly doubt it. New Orleans resides below sea level and there was serious levey failures and most damage was due to flooding. I think it will be just another hurricane but I would still play it safe if I was in the path of Irene.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
It is a huge storm, but it's not even close to as STRONG as Katrina was. I have been through quite a few hurricanes and this one will knock out the power for a while, some trees will fall and there will be a little flooding. There's nothing new here, these storms happen every year at this time. People are just freaking out because it isn't going to come and knock down my trees this time lol, instead it will skirt the east coast. I was just watching on TV that FEMA is already in place and ready for this. I have to say that I have needed them more than once and they always show up to help, every time.
edit on 26-8-2011 by billy197300 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
I thought this was a cat 3 or 2? wasn't katrina a 5?

I don't think too much will come of it..

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Kind of makes you wonder,right?

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Call me pessimistic but I think this is going to be an excuse for rioting and looting.
Especially in the poor neighborhoods.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
FEMA is responding correctly....HAARP did not cause this hurricane....and I believe the people on the east coast will ban together and help each other.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
i am oft prone to an effusively dubious hyper-reactions towards anything remotely conspiratorial (it's why i dig ATS), but this hurricane seems to be what it is... a fairly normal category 3 hurricane that is about to hit the east coast. it has happened before and will happen again.

i think the fear mongering is a by-product of the sensationalist age in which we live, with 24 hour news cycles, tweets, twitters, intrawebs, apps, etc. etc. etc. all vying for our attention... and fear certainly grabs one by the [insert rude body part here].

as well, the world has recently suffered some truly devastating disasters (japan, haiti, new orleans, etc.) and we are a bit gun shy. fair enough.

but shouting "it's the end!!!" every time we must weather any storm (snow-pocolypse 2010, anyone?) is doing more harm than good. it is like that boy who cried wolf.

Katrina was a category 5 hurricane when it kicked New Orleans (a low lying city ill-prepared to deal with such a monster) right in the teeth.... something truly frightening. to compare Irene hurricane to Katrina is pure hyperbole.

Irene is a Category 3 at the moment, and will certainly calm down a bit when she hits land and cooler waters. as an earlier poster noted, Irene will be a category 2 or 1 storm by the time it hits NYC. sure, power may be lost, trees may fall, but this does not seem to be Irene-opocalypse, nor to warrant titles such as "horrible or historic" as the media is labeling it.

perspective... folks. be wise. be cautious. but don't be chicken little every time mother nature vents some steam.

unless, of course, i am wrong, and the one time i preach restraint, NYC gets flooded, rioters run amuck, martial law is put into effect, and we are one step closer to the wrath of Elenin, Niburu, the Mayan long count, the return of Quetzelcoatl and JC and Deganawidah, the cyborg uprising, the next ice-age/global melt-down, the Draconians rising up from the hollows of the earth whilst the greys descend upon us in full-on invasion mode, all whilst peak oil collapses our economy and those damned Skull & Bones dudes attempt to get the last laugh.

oh, well. it be sweet irony, then.

good luck NY... go Jets!!!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Sorry thought this post or thread was just funny, katrina was unique for several reason and the damage was severe. But most of the damage caused in THE NOLA was caused by the levee being broke and thus the city flooded.

As far as i know NYC has no levee's. New Yorkers need to grow up hurricanes hit the states all the time, and the most common response is " WELL I DONT SEE WHY THE WANT TO LIVE ON THE COAST FOR ANYWAY. THE SHOULD JUST MOVE" so with that said i say the same to them "MOVE" if its to intense for you guys

edit on 26-8-2011 by InshaAllah because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
this is wayyy hyped up storm

6:30pm eastern the eye is due east of Savannah GA... moving north at 14 mph, so at midnight it will be at the NC/SC state line

TPTB will exaggerate the cost of the damages... just to give the false impression that the gov't warnings helped mitigate the destruction & loss of life-limb-property

but, i'm not going to hurricane parties like i used to do in Murrells Inlet back in the 70s-80s

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
While I do agree with a lot of the posts on here, I think this will be a bad storm.

Yes, it is not a Cat 5, and will prob only be be a Cat 1 by the time it reaches NY, but I remember hearing several times that wind speed of hurricanes is greatly magnified at higher altitudes. When I think of all of the very tall buildings along the East coast, especially NY, it makes me wonder what a Cat 1 is going to be like for people who live in buildings over 10 or 20 stories.

Oops...confirmation...Jim Cantore on the Weather channel just said what I was typing here. A Cat 1 at ground level, is a Cat 2 or 3 higher up. Think about it sheeple!!!! Say it hits NY with only 70 mph winds...sustained 100 mph winds at the 50th or 100th floor in NY for hours on end can not be a good thing. Glass storm raining down maybe?

My other concern is the electrical grid of the East coast. How many times over the years has brown outs, or outages in one area, affected other nearby areas? Lots.

It is not the strength of this storm that is the concern, it is the fact that no buildings are built to hurricane code in the NE, that many coastal areas dont have any type of protective barriers, that the electrical grid is at serious risk, and the FACT that this storm is over 800 miles in diameter. Even if it picks up speed, it takes a long time for a storm of this size to pass. Tornadoes in NY, Philly, Boston, Atlantic City? Think about it.

My bottom line is this...don't believe the gloom and doom hype, but dont believe the idiots that say this isnt going to bad either. Prepare as if it is going to be horrible, and party on if it ends up being nothing...be safe, not stupid!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by lasertaglover

My bottom line is this...don't believe the gloom and doom hype, but dont believe the idiots that say this isnt going to bad either. Prepare as if it is going to be horrible, and party on if it ends up being nothing...be safe, not stupid!

hmmm.... you lay out the perspective well, though i'm not sure i appreciate the 'idiot' stigma for attempting to do the same.

cheers.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
It's now only going to be Cat 2 for a short time after landfall, and will only be Cat 1 by the time it hits me in SE Virginia, thank god(I hope). I really don't think it's going to be on the scale of Katrina(I hope).

I personally believe this is one of the most sensationalized storms ever, but I'm still prepared for the worst. Lucky for me I live right on the easy-to-flood swamp and my house is tucked under 13 large dying trees

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join