It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bomb incident in Canterbury. We've been evacuated

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Been told to leave the City centre, a bomb has been found on the lines at our station and there has been an incident in the major retail outlet. A store is on fire.

A phone call gave a bomb warning. City is on lockdown; traffic has been told to avoid the area.

Indian cricket team is in town.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Be safe and keep us posted when it is safe to do so

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Canterbury East Station is the main epic centre. A package has been found on the tracks; a specific threat was made to the police, via a phone call. Reportedly, unconfirmed, but certain "keywords" were used in the warning. Would venture into town, but the police have shut everything down.

Army is currently out.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Holy moly! Keep safe and keep us updated. There is nothing on MSNBC or CNN about this. All they are covering is the hurricane and Martin Luther King. BLAH!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
There are rumours, among the locals (via twitter) that a bomb has gone off. I'm currently talking to local media and officials - no confirmation. But it is serious.

Skynews have commented on the incident; still waiting for more.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Picture from the area, via a friend

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Do you think the Indian Cricket team has something to do with the bomb? Just wondering why that was thrown in your op. It just seems random.

Hopefully you and yours will be safe. And hopefully your bomb squads are able to dismantle and disarm the device. There is already enough bloodshed in this world. We don't need or want anymore if its at all possible.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by DerbyCityLights

It's a high profile cricket match for Canterbury, that's why I mentioned the Indian cricket team.

The cricket ground has been evacuated, as well.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Police are not ruling out a link between the fire at Marks and Spencer and the package at Canterbury East. A reported third package has been found and the M+S fire could be due to a bomb going off. Several people have a donation.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

of coarse the mention of the cricket team is relevent , everything is relevent in an investigation until found otherwise

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Stay safe and keep us updated!

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
I live 150 metres away from the cathedral, on the north central area of town. It's quiet here at the moment. All the cordoning is in the inner shopping district by all the usual high street stores. No dramas yet.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by tom.farnhill

It was the Randomness of the sentence when combined with the rest of the post that caught my attention. I was only curious as to what the reference was included for. Since I am not a detective, I would not know what is relevant or what is not in this case.

Hey Infinite, thanks for the updates I wouldn’t otherwise see till later tonight on the news, that is if they even covered it. Keep us updated! Contrary to popular belief, some of us Yanks do care about you guys over across the big pond

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Contrary to popular belief, some of us Yanks do care about you guys over across the big pond

I'll second that! Be safe and keep us updated! Really hoping that nobody was hurt in this...

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Another picture from the scene

www.civicboom.com...

Police have now evacuated houses up to 100m from the suspected bomb in the Old Dover Road in Canterbury. More sirens have raced pass my house.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by gemineye

There has been no reports of injuries.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Police statement;

Police are currently dealing with two incidents in Canterbury city centre this afternoon, Friday 26 August.

The first is an incident in Old Dover Road, Canterbury. At 4.21pm we received a call from a member of the public about a suspicious package near the railway line. Trains have been stopped and police are at the scene.

The second incident is at Marks and Spencer in St George’s Street, Canterbury. Kent Fire and Rescue Service attended the store after a small fire was discovered. It is not known at this stage what has caused the fire and police are at the scene.

At the present time we are unable to say whether the incidents are linked. There have been no reported injuries. St George’s Street has been closed and Whitefriars, the bus station, Rose Square and the Marlowe Arcade have been evacuated.

Old Dover Road is closed between Raymond Avenue and Puckle Lane.

Police are asking for people’s patience while they deal with these incidents. People are advised to avoid the city centre and drivers are asked to seek alternative routes.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Reports of more devices found in McDonalds and on a train. Unconfirmed at the moment.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I just spoke to an M&S employee in Westgate Spoons, up by where I live. She's under the impression the fire was in the kitchen, from what she's been told from her colleagues. Obviously that's not verified.

posted on Aug, 26 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Infinite, while I appreciate the updates, if you are that close, get the hell outta there! I'd rather you be in one piece than the alternative.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join